ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Seafoam problems?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-10, 05:11 AM
trickedout
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Seafoam problems?

So I have had my 1997 Es 300 for about a week now, got a great deal on it. It has 175k miles on it. I will post pics of it. I always wanted one of these lol I am planning on using seafoam, changing the oil, spark plugs, drain and filling the coolant, new brakes, puttin on cross drilled and slotted rotors, and drain and fill the transmission. Has anybody came across any issues with using seafoam in their lexus? I was going to use the seafoam motor treatment for the motor, and the seafoam trans tune before I relaced the fluids on wednesday of next week. I was going to put the seafoam in probably monday or tuesday. Depending on the weather. I couldn't get much of a maintenance history on the vehicle, but it runs like a dream, and I have known many a lexus to take a beating. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-19-10, 06:32 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only issue with Seafoam is if you do have leaks, and the sludge is keeping the leaks from leaking, seafoam will clean the sludge and possibly cause leaks
Old 11-19-10, 07:10 AM
Pyroibw
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusscturbo
Only issue with Seafoam is if you do have leaks, and the sludge is keeping the leaks from leaking, seafoam will clean the sludge and possibly cause leaks
this^ it happened to me.
Old 11-19-10, 09:12 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,708 Likes on 2,293 Posts

My opinion is don't use Seafoam. It works great as a throttle body cleaner, but running it in the engine and transmission seems iffy to me. Some people have had great success with it (claimed) and others have experienced problems.

If you want to clean the engine out, use a high detergent motor oil for a couple of changes, after that use a 100% synthetic. This will safely over time clean the internals, no risk. The transmission, drop the pan and clean it and the magnets, replace the filter/strainer, refill. Drive for a bit, do a drain/refill again. Do this several more times. Or you can do a complete flush if you want, I personally am wary of doing this because you risk running the pump in the tranny dry.
Old 11-19-10, 12:05 PM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally wouldn't run Seafoam in the engine oil. If you think your engine has some sludge, change the oil but substitute one quart of oil with a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil. Run it for 200-300 miles that way, a few heat cycles, then change it again. When I first got my '87 pickup, the 22RE was pretty sludged inside due to not being run often enough, so I gave it this treatment. Worked really well, loosened up the timing chain tensioner so I didn't get the death rattle at warmup any longer.

Seafoam is also used sometimes to clean the intake and valvetrain on a high mileage engine, you can find a convenient vacuum line (such as the one going to the brake booster), then suck a few tablespoons in there while the engine is running. Be prepared, you will get GOBS of smoke out the exhaust when you do this. Just be careful not to suck in too much at once, you risk hydro-locking the engine (BANG).