ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

1996 High output Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-10, 10:27 PM
adreano17
Advanced

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts
Default 1996 High output Alternator

I am running a 1300 rms amp, which pulls a max of 120A, and eventually going to run another amp that pulls 80A = total of 200A (not including stock). where can i get a reasonably price alternator. Will a high power deep cycle battery compensate for some of these current pulls? I am right now with a stock alt and batt.
Old 11-16-10, 04:07 AM
trickedout
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have put in various audio system in many different cars and I have ran two 2500 watt rms amps simultaneously. My 2 cents is you will need a bigger alternator and a better battery for a couple reasons. When your low bass notes hit for more than 2 seconds, your battery is being drained considerably, so you will need a very good battery. Also, when your battery gets drained like that, you will need a very amazing alternator if you want your car to keep running and not burn all of your equipment up or catch on fire. Trust me, I have seen it happen before. Also, make sure you run a fuse by your battery, but of course you know that lol. Good luck, and please include a video of the system and stuff when you done. I would love to hear it. =)
-Troy
Old 11-16-10, 08:31 AM
Pyroibw
Pole Position

what amps?

you would be fine with just getting a good second battery and the big3.
Old 11-16-10, 09:35 AM
adreano17
Advanced

here is an option of what i may get, any more suggestions? what are you all's input on this alt? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994-...Q5fAccessories
its not 200A, but it may have to do, and yes, i plan on getting atleast a D1200 XS, and completing the big three.
Old 11-16-10, 09:36 AM
adreano17
Advanced

Originally Posted by trickedout
I have put in various audio system in many different cars and I have ran two 2500 watt rms amps simultaneously. My 2 cents is you will need a bigger alternator and a better battery for a couple reasons. When your low bass notes hit for more than 2 seconds, your battery is being drained considerably, so you will need a very good battery. Also, when your battery gets drained like that, you will need a very amazing alternator if you want your car to keep running and not burn all of your equipment up or catch on fire. Trust me, I have seen it happen before. Also, make sure you run a fuse by your battery, but of course you know that lol. Good luck, and please include a video of the system and stuff when you done. I would love to hear it. =)
-Troy
what alternator did you have?
Old 11-16-10, 01:50 PM
Pyroibw
Pole Position

those ebay alts are fake, they will work for a week and put out less at idle then your stock alt.

if you really think you need a alt (witch you dont ) get a quote from EA
http://www.excessiveamperage.com/

ive had a few built from them, and they great outpowered my mechman alt by a LOT.
Old 11-16-10, 03:29 PM
rickyp39
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally! A car audio thread! I'm running 1600 watts rms off a Rockford fosgate amp and I have a 03 es. I got a xs power battery and I bought a 160 amp alternator but unfortunately I still have major voltage drop. I'm looking to get a 270a alt as soon as I get $. Check my vies out on YouTube. Lastest vid is the t1500cp amp. Www.YouTube.com/staind039
Old 11-16-10, 09:39 PM
adreano17
Advanced

Originally Posted by Pyroibw
those ebay alts are fake, they will work for a week and put out less at idle then your stock alt.

if you really think you need a alt (witch you dont ) get a quote from EA
http://www.excessiveamperage.com/

ive had a few built from them, and they great outpowered my mechman alt by a LOT.
an alternator is needed. an 80 amp alt cant keep up with a 200A system. this just pulls the battery. the ebay seller has a 1 year warranty, and 100% feedback. what type of prices does that site have?

Originally Posted by rickyp39
Finally! A car audio thread! I'm running 1600 watts rms off a Rockford fosgate amp and I have a 03 es. I got a xs power battery and I bought a 160 amp alternator but unfortunately I still have major voltage drop. I'm looking to get a 270a alt as soon as I get $. Check my vies out on YouTube. Lastest vid is the t1500cp amp. Www.YouTube.com/staind039
still have to consider the stock too, but that equipment, it shouldn't be a very noticeable drop, what is your voltage at full tilt?
Old 11-16-10, 10:58 PM
Pyroibw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by adreano17
an alternator is needed. an 80 amp alt cant keep up with a 200A system. this just pulls the battery. the ebay seller has a 1 year warranty, and 100% feedback. what type of prices does that site have?
what amps are you running? you can run plenty on the stock alt, unless your running alot of power its not needed to wast $ on a bigger alt, just get a good battery, trust me. if you get a good 100ah battery or higher you'll be more then set.

plenty of people have bought alts from that exact seller and they suck. there is NO WAY you are gona find a alt that actually dose 180a that cheap. prices for legit alts are in the 300 and up range AT LEAST. try mechman, excessive amperage, powerbastards, dcpower or ohio generators. all great companies with plenty of happy customers. price wise i would suggest excessive amprage, when i had to get a bigger alt they were the only ones who would custom build me a big one at a reasonable price.
Old 11-17-10, 08:00 AM
adreano17
Advanced

Originally Posted by Pyroibw
what amps are you running? you can run plenty on the stock alt, unless your running alot of power its not needed to wast $ on a bigger alt, just get a good battery, trust me. if you get a good 100ah battery or higher you'll be more then set.

plenty of people have bought alts from that exact seller and they suck. there is NO WAY you are gona find a alt that actually dose 180a that cheap. prices for legit alts are in the 300 and up range AT LEAST. try mechman, excessive amperage, powerbastards, dcpower or ohio generators. all great companies with plenty of happy customers. price wise i would suggest excessive amprage, when i had to get a bigger alt they were the only ones who would custom build me a big one at a reasonable price.
I am going to be running roughly 210A including factory needs. and, what about the XS D-1200, it says 2400 max amps, but i dont quite understand that....

and what exactly has been said about the seller, I'm not understanding, i am sure his feedback would reflect this.
Old 11-17-10, 10:32 AM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

I plan on putting about 1600 watts in my car and just get a strong battery with the big 3....
Old 11-17-10, 11:01 AM
rickyp39
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adreano17

still have to consider the stock too, but that equipment, it shouldn't be a very noticeable drop, what is your voltage at full tilt?
What do you mean by full tilt? Never heard of that term before... When I'm at idle which is about 900 rpm my voltage is at about 14.1 and when the systems playing at idle it's even drops to 10.9 depending on how hard the bass line is.
Old 11-17-10, 11:32 AM
adreano17
Advanced

Originally Posted by rickyp39
What do you mean by full tilt? Never heard of that term before... When I'm at idle which is about 900 rpm my voltage is at about 14.1 and when the systems playing at idle it's even drops to 10.9 depending on how hard the bass line is.
full tilt = playing at maximum volume

and to have a battery, and alt, thats really low, and seems like the alt is not 160. the lowest i get is 10.9 when it is a constant draw from continuous notes.
Old 11-17-10, 01:32 PM
Audacity
Driver

Contact Ohio Generator. They will take a stock alternator for your car, open it up, and rewind it to create a high output alternator. It will fit perfect and produce around 50% more amps than the stock alternator. The last one I had them do for me was for a 1998 Prelude. Stock produced 90 amps - the one they made for me produced 160+ amps, It ran me about $180 if I'm not mistaken. I ran 4 JL amps in the Prelude for a total of about 1750 real watts rms. They'll answer all your questions in just a few minutes. If you ask around anyone that REALLY knows car audio will tell you an upgraded alternator along with the big 3 and a good battery is the way to go.
Hope this helps.
Martin

Here's a link: http://ohiogen.com/html/contact_us.html

P.S. The alternator produces all your power while the engine is running. In my opinion the alternator is more important than the battery or big 3 when discussing a sound system in a daily driver. For the relatively low cost of a high output alternator I don't understand why anyone would upgrade the big 3 and battery without upgrading the alternator. JMO

Last edited by Audacity; 11-17-10 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-17-10, 01:46 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

So is an upgraded alternator really necessary?

Quick Reply: 1996 High output Alternator