ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Getting rid of the CD changer

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-10, 09:29 PM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Getting rid of the CD changer

I took delivery of an '05 ES330 on Monday, absolutely LOVE the car so far. Tonight the CD changer died. I'm really not that upset about it, I only had CDs in it to test it out and because I don't have a way to connect my iPod (yet). But truthfully I find CDs to be a pain, and changers are even a bigger nuisance, they're just not worth the hassle.

My car has factory Nav and Mark Levinson, so not only is there the CD changer, there is a single-disc player behind the Nav screen. The CD changer is in the center console, and takes up a ton of room. I'd like to get that storage back.

Wondering if anybody has removed the CD changer in the center console. I actually tore the entire console apart tonight (had to get my stuck CDs out of the dead changer), it's remarkably easy to get apart. Looks like I would have to buy a different plastic piece that creates that storage cavity, it's really doubtful I could find one in a junkyard. Not looking forward to finding out the price on that thing though.

My plan is to pull this thing out, get the storage back, then get an iPod/aux/Bluetooth adapter (DICE or VAIS), store the iPod in the console.
Old 10-30-10, 03:24 PM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to hear about the CD Changer, but I am confused on what you're asking. Do you need a new center console? I know there is a "tan" colored center console on ebay motors for sale right now.
Old 10-30-10, 06:26 PM
KLF
Lead Lap

Sorry for being confusing. In theory, I can pull the changer out and make the console look like it was never there. I assume the cars that have the non-Nav in-dash CD-changer don't have a changer in the console under the armrest, so I want to make mine look like that. I don't need a whole new console, just black plastic "bucket" part that is under the armrest, the part where the aux 12V socket is.

I was just hoping someone else has done this, seems doubtful.
Old 10-30-10, 08:21 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by KLF
I assume the cars that have the non-Nav in-dash CD-changer don't have a changer in the console under the armrest
Not 100% sure but I think nav and non-nav packages had the changer in the center console, in which case there is no such thing as a larger center console storage compartment. You could of course do your own modification.
Old 10-30-10, 08:49 PM
rickyp39
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive pulled out my cd changer before and it wad fairly. I guess you would have to modify it somehow as someone else said. One thing I really want to know is how to fix the cd changer because mine is broken as well. When I press eject it goes back and forth but it doesnt open up for me to put in a disc.
Old 10-31-10, 05:40 AM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the 6 disc CD Changer and it's in the dash, I don't have the NAV system. My center console is empty, just the black suede bucket, You could probably buy the center console on ebay and just use it for parts:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-03...item2a0b78a645
Old 10-31-10, 06:18 AM
KLF
Lead Lap

Thanks for the link and confirming my suspicions on the console, that could work out. My interior is gray, but all I need is the black part.
Old 11-13-10, 03:11 PM
KLF
Lead Lap

Update:

I called my closest Lexus dealer, just for the heck of it, to find out how much that part would be new. The parts guy was a total JERK, he wouldn't even look it up, since he needed a VIN. Tried to make be believe he couldn't look it up, which I know for a fact is BS. Whatever dude... I know where NOT to buy parts from in the future.

Many thanks to Megafast for the eBay link, I did a BIN on that console, got the whole thing delivered for $65. Did the swap last night, worked out perfectly. The aux socket was in the new one, so I took the socket out of the bottom of my original one, added an "unswitched" socket into the bottom. Did some testing and found a constant 12V power source in the connector from the changer, which I traced to a 25A fuse. So I connected the second socket to this source, I included an in-line fuseholder with a 10A fuse. Put it all together, works great.

One issue: there appears to be a little skinny row of LED lights in the back of the console "bucket", I assume these light up the inside of this storage area when the headlights are on. Mine won't turn on. Seems odd that they would be burned out. But there was a connector on the floor for it, I tested it and it is providing 12V. Not a big deal but I would love to get these working.

So, now I have all these parts leftover, make me an offer, I prefer to sell the whole pile in one batch, since I have a box and all the packing for it. My interior is gray so I can't use them.

OEM CD Changer (broken), with mounting brackets & hardware
6-disc CD cartridge/cassette
Tan armrest console (big plastic thing, including the rear grille section)
Tan armrest (the leather part), perfect condition
Cupholder is missing, but the tan front part is there
Little ducts that carry the AC to the rear grilles

I can get you a pic if needed.
Old 11-13-10, 07:45 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by KLF
Update:

I called my closest Lexus dealer, just for the heck of it, to find out how much that part would be new. The parts guy was a total JERK, he wouldn't even look it up, since he needed a VIN. Tried to make be believe he couldn't look it up, which I know for a fact is BS. Whatever dude... I know where NOT to buy parts from in the future.

Many thanks to Megafast for the eBay link, I did a BIN on that console, got the whole thing delivered for $65. Did the swap last night, worked out perfectly. The aux socket was in the new one, so I took the socket out of the bottom of my original one, added an "unswitched" socket into the bottom. Did some testing and found a constant 12V power source in the connector from the changer, which I traced to a 25A fuse. So I connected the second socket to this source, I included an in-line fuseholder with a 10A fuse. Put it all together, works great.

One issue: there appears to be a little skinny row of LED lights in the back of the console "bucket", I assume these light up the inside of this storage area when the headlights are on. Mine won't turn on. Seems odd that they would be burned out. But there was a connector on the floor for it, I tested it and it is providing 12V. Not a big deal but I would love to get these working.

So, now I have all these parts leftover, make me an offer, I prefer to sell the whole pile in one batch, since I have a box and all the packing for it. My interior is gray so I can't use them.

Where in NH are you? The armrest on my fathers 03 ES is filthy. If they didn't change the shade of tan during the 4ES refresh I may be interested in just the center console armrest top.

If you'd rather sell the whole lot give craigslist a shot
Old 01-25-15, 07:38 PM
Jimbo67
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KLF
Update:

Thanks for your tips on this. I have a 2005 ES330 as well, and recently was able to find a center console at one of the local junkyards, which they sold to me for $40. I had a friend help me, and we removed he CD-changer, and replaced the storage compartment.

I love having all the storage now. By the way, my little row of lights do light up, but not all the time. I'm not quite sure what triggers them.

Just wanted to say thanks to KLF, for the inspiration and help of knowing what to do and look for!