ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Just bought an ES300

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-10, 08:35 PM
IamLexus
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OMG WHAT A BEAUTY. Clean Headlights and Foglight. I am jealous man.
Old 09-15-10, 09:29 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,682 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Originally Posted by yeskay
probably this edition has sports suspension.
I don't think so, other than the 16" wheels the suspension is standard AFAIK. But there was an air suspension available for the gen2 ES300, I think?
Originally Posted by dragoncoac
Odometers are never exact, the same with speedometers. Calibration and tires also are a factor.
I've never owned a car that had an odo that was this far out. Maybe I've just been lucky. Someday when I'm bored I'll look into the possibility of calibrating my ES, don't know if it's possible though.
Originally Posted by IamLexus
OMG WHAT A BEAUTY. Clean Headlights and Foglight. I am jealous man.
Thanks. I spent many months looking for this car, it was very frustrating to say the least. Either these cars did not sell well, or hardly anyone wants to sell them. I'm kicking myself for not taking pictures before I detailed the car. It was a filthy mess, unbelievable actually. The drivers side carpet had mud literally caked on, especially by the deal pedal it was an inch thick (I'm not exaggerating). The bottom portions of the car were covered in tar, it took me the better part of a day to remove it all without damaging the paint. I doubt the car had every been polished or waxed, and the headlights had a slight haze on them. Meguiar's "Deep Crystal System Paint Cleaner" works wonders on dirty lenses, highly recommended. I also used it on the entire car, then went over it with polish, then waxed.

BTW, the absolute best, bar none, auto polish is Malm's. I recently ran out of the stuff and had to order more, but if you want the absolute highest gloss, no swirls, just a deep, rich, mind blowing shine this polish beats everything else I've tried. It takes a lot of patience (I only do it by hand) but the more you use it, the shinier the car gets. (I'm not affiliated in any way with this company, I just love their products).

The engine bay was extremely dusty, I can't believe the Lexus dealer did all the servicing on the car but never once cleaned the engine. Also, the transmission fluid was black, horrible condition. I have the service records, but honestly I'm starting to think that what the previous owner was charged for, they did not do all of it. I can't see how the tranny fluid could be in that poor a state if changed regularly like the records indicate. One thing I did catch is he was charged for a tranny oil change, and a "front differential" oil change. But on this car, there is no transaxle drain and fill plugs, correct?
Old 09-16-10, 08:19 AM
Audacity
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3% is negligible as far as speedometer error (reads 100mph actual 97 mph).
You may just need a new belt as far as your power steering noise goes.
Looks a lot like mine - 2000 ES300 Platinum (two tone silver paint/black leather interior)
My "ES300" badge in the rear is ON the tail light - not above it.
All in all I think you got yourself a nice ride that should last a long time if cared for.
If mine I would change coolant, tranny fluid, and drive belts immediately since it's been used so little over the years. Good luck and congrats!
Old 09-16-10, 10:44 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Congratulations on getting an ES. Your car looks clean. Keep up the great work and happy driving...
Old 09-17-10, 12:58 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 2001 RX300 showing the same age factors as your ES. My leather was dry and the dye had worn off the driver's seat bolsters top and bottom. The leather was creased but not cracked.

I had a company called ColorGlo or some such come to my house and redye the bolsters and the driver's armrest. the match was perfect. The dye is waterbased and looks great.

Last month (August) I did a week long treatment with Leatherique. I reapplied the rejuvenator three times over the week and put a large trash bag on the drivers seat so I could use the car. The temperature was well over 90 the entire week and I am totally impressed with the results. The leather is noticeably softer and has a "fresh" look to it. My detailer was very impressed. Of course, he can't use it because of the time required to do it properly.

The only thing I would do differently is do the leatherique before re-dying the leather. I think there would have been better penetration that way.
Old 09-17-10, 08:22 PM
IamLexus
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You used Meguiar's "Deep Crystal System Paint Cleaner"? is it require buffering or rubbing?
Old 09-17-10, 08:30 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the info Carver. When I have some more time, I'm going to try and find someone locally to re-dye the seats, I'd rather have someone do it that has experience vs. doing it myself.

Got any pics of before and after?
Old 09-17-10, 08:41 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IamLexus
You used Meguiar's "Deep Crystal System Paint Cleaner"? is it require buffering or rubbing?
It's purpose is just like the name suggests, it removes whatever build up is on the paint. I do it by hand, but you can use a power buffer if you want. It also does polish the paint at the same time, but only to a mild extent. I prefer it to using a claybar actually, it takes longer but claying runs the risk of scratching the paint if any particles get into the bar.

After using it, you can either just go ahead and wax, or use a polish if you are going for an even higher gloss.
Old 09-17-10, 08:55 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't have before but I'll try to get some shots in the next few days.
Old 08-14-23, 09:49 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

13 years later

Old 08-15-23, 05:20 AM
fortitude
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

Nice
How many miles on it now?
Old 08-15-23, 08:08 AM
rmchap06
6th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Still looks awesome man. Did you ever figure out why it was losing coolant occasionally? I just bought a high mileage one and still trying to figure out some quirks of the car, but loving it so far.
Old 08-15-23, 09:46 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by fortitude
Nice
How many miles on it now?
52,000 miles.

This summer I've been driving it most days, rediscovering what a great car it is.

Originally Posted by rmchap06
Still looks awesome man. Did you ever figure out why it was losing coolant occasionally?
Yep, coolant drain at the back of the engine was stripped (turns out this is fairly common) I restored the threads leak never came back.
The following users liked this post:
rmchap06 (08-15-23)
Old 08-16-23, 12:02 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Sooooooo...been driving at night recently the factory HIDs are quite terrible. I know what you're thinking, really? Compared to halogen they are good but compared to modern LEDs they are poor. High beam halogen bulbs are a joke. Lighting tech has come a long way.
Old 08-16-23, 11:20 AM
rmchap06
6th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah? Haven't taken mine on a road trip yet so haven't used the brights. But it is disappointing after having Bi-xenons or even just more contemporary halogen projectors. Headlights weren't a part of the safety equation like they are now.

Quick Reply: Just bought an ES300