ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Wet floorboards

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-23, 06:41 AM
rickydonn
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wet floorboards

Happy Fall from East Texas. finally some relief from 105 degrees daily. ..I have a 06 and the driver's side floorboard is soaking wet, the passenger side is just damp. We recently got hammered with rain and I do have a sunroof but there is no leakage of any kind around it...no signs of any dampness anywhere in the interior of the car except in the floorboards. I mean, you can push your toe into the carpet, and it just creates a pool of water. I don't think this has anything do with the AC because I have not been running it for a cpl weeks with the cool(er) weather we have been having...and there is just so much water saturation. I know it has to do with the hard rains we got several days ago. I would appreciate any help before it starts stinking. I have the doors open with battery unhooked to try and get a cross breeze going through to keep it from mildewing. Thanks

Last edited by rickydonn; 10-10-23 at 06:48 AM.
Old 10-12-23, 04:11 AM
koreywill
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

First thing I would do would be to check your sunroof drains. Just do a search on this forum for "sunroof drains" and you'll get a ton of information on how to do that.
After you find the source of your problem, and because your carpet is so wet, I'd suggest that you completely remove the carpet and thoroughly dry that and the cushion beneath it. I don't believe there i any way to completely extract the water even with a powerful shop vac. It will be quite a job but it will keep mold and mildew from forming and presenting an even worse problem.
Good luck and let us know what you find.
The following 2 users liked this post by koreywill:
Datanerd (10-12-23), rickydonn (10-12-23)
Old 10-12-23, 04:57 AM
BillUK
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

I would also check the sunroof drains again, even if you've already done so. Pour some water down them and see where it comes out.

Also, if you've ever had the windscreen replaced, that could be another source of water ingress into the front of the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by BillUK:
Datanerd (10-12-23), rickydonn (10-12-23)
Old 10-29-23, 01:36 AM
rickydonn
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Korey, thanks for reply.. Just got around to looking at them (talked my wife into letting me put the es in our one car garage to keep it out of the rain but finally she said no more) so...i tested the drains and the brain drain quick and clean. What do you think would be the next logical thing to rule out? Let me know when you get time and I will do it. Thanks
Old 10-29-23, 11:35 AM
koreywill
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

rickydonn: I still think you should pull the seats and the carpet and get that carpet dried out outside the car. I don't think it will ever get dry while in the car. If you can't do that, at least pull one seat and put a dehumidifier where the seat used to be and let it run until you're getting a very small amount of water.
If you can pull the seats and the carpet you stand a much better chance of finding the leak. Here's how: get a friend/wife/partner whatever to run a low volume of water from a water hose all around each door and window. Start at the bottom of each and work up. While you're in the car have a bright flashlight to help you spot where the water is making ingress. There's your problem. Do the same water thing every place water could possibly get in. I would even do this on the sunroof again. When you find where the water's coming in then you just have to figure out how to fix it. If you've got any weather stripping around the doors that's ripped or torn, I've found it can be glued up with super glue pretty well if all the pieces are there. Sometimes it's really hard to find but if you're methodical you'll find it and get it fixed.
Good luck and let us know what you find.