ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.
Old 01-06-15, 04:24 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

05 Lexus ES330 rear window won't open!!

Old 06-04-10, 09:38 AM
haihai168
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 05 Lexus ES330 rear window won't open!!

Just bought a ES330 then found out rear window (left side) won't open from both the driver control and left rear door control. i can hear "click.." sound when i use the driver control. HELP!
The following users liked this post:
ben23905 (02-27-19)
Old 06-04-10, 10:22 AM
JSM1284
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hold the button in the down position and slam the door a couple times. This is a common issue, mine did it once and slamming the door while holding the button worked, hasn't messed up since. There is also a TSB for the issue....

ELECTRICAL
EL010-06

Title:
REAR POWER WINDOW INOPERATIVE
IN CLOSED POSITION

Models:
'02 - '03 ES 300 & '04 -'06 ES 330

September 13, 2006

Introduction

Some ES 300 and ES 330 vehicles may experience a condition where one or both of the rear power windows are inoperative/stuck in the closed position. Follow the repair procedure in this bulletin to install a cushion kit on both rear power windows.

NOTE :

^ When you receive the customer's vehicle, if the power window motor does NOT operate, inspect the system by starting with the Inspection Procedure in this TSIB.

^ If the power window motor operation is normal when you receive the customer's vehicle but the customer's complaint is the power window motor does NOT operate at times, start with the Repair Procedure in this TSIB.

Applicable Vehicles

^ 2002 - 2003 model year ES 300 vehicles.

2004 - 2006 model year ES 330 vehicles.

Warranty Information

Applicable Warranty*:
This repair is covered under the Lexus Comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 48 months or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date.

* Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer's specific complaint.

Inspection Procedure

With the engine running, apply a shock to the door (by opening and closing door) while pressing the power window switch in the down direction and check the power window operation.

1. Turn the ignition ON and start the engine.

2. Open the door, and then close it 4 times while pressing the power window switch in the down direction.

NOTE :

^ If the above check has been conducted 5 times continuously, let the motor cool for about 20 minutes.

^ Do NOT keep pressing the power window switch for more than 5 seconds. If the power window switch is held in the ON condition for more than 5 seconds, the power window motor will stop due to overheat protection system operation.

^ If the overheat protection system is activated, let the motor cool for about 30 minutes.

Does the power window motor operation return to normal

3. Loosen the regulator mounting bolts slightly, and then press the power window switch in the down direction.

Does the power window motor operation return to normal?

Repair Procedure

1. Attach the cushion to the door glass run on the rear door upper frame.

A. Remove the rubber door glass run from the door frame.

B. Use adhesive remover to remove any grease from the areas of the door glass run that the cushion will be attached to.

C. Attach the cushions to the door glass run as shown below.

^ Cut strip "a" in three (3) 5 mm (0.2 in.) lengths and attach to the door glass run in the locations shown below.

^ Using two (2) strips of cushion, attach strip "b" along the entire length of the door glass run in the location shown below, and trim off extra strip material.

2. Install the door glass run onto the door frame.

NOTE :Make sure that the door glass run is securely fitted to the door frame and is NOT deformed.

3. Check the power window operation.

NOTE :The power window motor MUST be initialized when the power window regulator mounting bolts are loosened or the power window regulator or the power window motor is removed.

A. Open and close the power window to check that it operates smoothly.

B. Check that the AUTO UP" function operates normally.

C. Check that the jam protection function operates normally.
The following users liked this post:
SAlirezaV (07-31-21)
Old 06-08-10, 08:33 AM
haihai168
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thank you!

Thanks a lot. it worked.
Old 04-09-11, 09:50 AM
fflyer99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus ES330 Rear Power Windows do not work

I followed your advice and saved $1,000 by getting both of the rear windows to work again even though the dealer said both power units needed replacing.

Thank you very much!
Old 07-21-11, 09:26 AM
mrmojoesz
Driver School Candidate

Smile ES330 Rear Window Won't Open - THANK YOU

I tried the "fix" that you suggested and it worked after slamming the door 4 times with the engine running (did not work with just the key in the accessory position).
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-03-11, 02:57 PM
jkcali2ooo
Driver School Candidate

OMG TY so much! I was getting irritated with the back window. I can't believe it. I just held the window down and slammed it once and it immediately started working again. Saved me mucho dinero!!!

Great and easy fix. Took 10 seconds.
Old 08-07-11, 04:44 PM
Allingene
Driver School Candidate

Default It worked on my 05 ES330

It worked on my 05 ES330, both back windows wouldn't work. Thanks

Originally Posted by JSM1284
Hold the button in the down position and slam the door a couple times. This is a common issue, mine did it once and slamming the door while holding the button worked, hasn't messed up since. There is also a TSB for the issue....

ELECTRICAL
EL010-06

Title:
REAR POWER WINDOW INOPERATIVE
IN CLOSED POSITION

Models:
'02 - '03 ES 300 & '04 -'06 ES 330

September 13, 2006

Introduction

Some ES 300 and ES 330 vehicles may experience a condition where one or both of the rear power windows are inoperative/stuck in the closed position. Follow the repair procedure in this bulletin to install a cushion kit on both rear power windows.

NOTE :

^ When you receive the customer's vehicle, if the power window motor does NOT operate, inspect the system by starting with the Inspection Procedure in this TSIB.

^ If the power window motor operation is normal when you receive the customer's vehicle but the customer's complaint is the power window motor does NOT operate at times, start with the Repair Procedure in this TSIB.

Applicable Vehicles

^ 2002 - 2003 model year ES 300 vehicles.

2004 - 2006 model year ES 330 vehicles.

Warranty Information

Applicable Warranty*:
This repair is covered under the Lexus Comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 48 months or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date.

* Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer's specific complaint.

Inspection Procedure

With the engine running, apply a shock to the door (by opening and closing door) while pressing the power window switch in the down direction and check the power window operation.

1. Turn the ignition ON and start the engine.

2. Open the door, and then close it 4 times while pressing the power window switch in the down direction.

NOTE :

^ If the above check has been conducted 5 times continuously, let the motor cool for about 20 minutes.

^ Do NOT keep pressing the power window switch for more than 5 seconds. If the power window switch is held in the ON condition for more than 5 seconds, the power window motor will stop due to overheat protection system operation.

^ If the overheat protection system is activated, let the motor cool for about 30 minutes.

Does the power window motor operation return to normal

3. Loosen the regulator mounting bolts slightly, and then press the power window switch in the down direction.

Does the power window motor operation return to normal?

Repair Procedure

1. Attach the cushion to the door glass run on the rear door upper frame.

A. Remove the rubber door glass run from the door frame.

B. Use adhesive remover to remove any grease from the areas of the door glass run that the cushion will be attached to.

C. Attach the cushions to the door glass run as shown below.

^ Cut strip "a" in three (3) 5 mm (0.2 in.) lengths and attach to the door glass run in the locations shown below.

^ Using two (2) strips of cushion, attach strip "b" along the entire length of the door glass run in the location shown below, and trim off extra strip material.

2. Install the door glass run onto the door frame.

NOTE :Make sure that the door glass run is securely fitted to the door frame and is NOT deformed.

3. Check the power window operation.

NOTE :The power window motor MUST be initialized when the power window regulator mounting bolts are loosened or the power window regulator or the power window motor is removed.

A. Open and close the power window to check that it operates smoothly.

B. Check that the AUTO UP" function operates normally.

C. Check that the jam protection function operates normally.
Old 08-10-11, 07:30 AM
arnelmacat
2nd gear

Thanks for this information. I have 2005 ES330 rear window is not working. Slamming my door didnt work for me. So I have to remove the door panel and loosen the bolts and try to bang where the motor is and shake the window assembley inside. Then it works. At the beginning it didnt do anything, because I think the motor overheat after trying the first solution to slam the door. Removing the panel is easy first remove the control for window using thin piece of plastic, then you will see one screw inside it.You will have to remove the power supply. Then remove the cover on the door lock, there is a thin plastic cover that you have to remove by your hand, then you will see one screw. After that you can start from the bottom to snap the door, use the thin plastic to help you remove some pin around it. I find it the top area is the one need the help of this thin plastic to pull it. After taking all the pin, it is ready to pull out, lift it up to remove it. Then you can see the inside of it with plastic cover, in my case need to open it to shake the assembly. You can try loosen the bolts first then bang the motor area, then if that didnt work open the plastic cover and , dont worry can still put it back. Then try to make the assembly move,( push it up and down). Then try testing it,using the driver side or put back the power supply to control ofcourse has to be in ACC or start the engine. Sorry dont have picture but email me if you need help.

Last edited by arnelmacat; 08-10-11 at 07:38 AM.
Old 02-08-13, 10:21 PM
JWRussell
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

WOW - what an easy fix. I had changed the batery in my 2006 ES 330, and I had the same problem. After trying the fix one time, IT WORKED for me.

Thanks so much for the info. For those that didn't get the fix, start the engine, go around to the back left door and get in. While holding down the window button, Slam the door 3 or 4 times and the FIX most likely will work.

UPDATE: I have now lived in Florida for 3 years and this problem happens often here (due to the heat, I think). I Have Found A New Discovery. If you are still having problems try this. Take a dull pocket knife, or similar tool and run it on the inside and outside on the upper part of the window. Run the knife between the glass and the rubber seal, run it all the way around that has the rubber seal. THIS has QUICKLY Fixed my sticking window problem. I think the problem is that the rubber seal, especially at the top of the window, is grabbing the glass too hard and is sticking glass and rubber seal together. After this step, simply try to open the window and or try with engine running slamming the door with window down button pushed. Good Luck, and Save those Dollars!

Last edited by JWRussell; 06-06-18 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Recent Discovery!
Old 02-12-13, 11:15 AM
vanessa425
Driver School Candidate

Smile Worked!

My windows in my Lexus ES300 haven't worked for atleast a year. Honestly, I have had the car 2 years and didn't know if they had ever worked because nobody rides in the back seat. Both of my back windows wouldn't go down but clicked when buttons were pressed. My husband had tried to fix them a couple times. I went out and cranked my car, slammed each door once while holding the down window button, and they each started working on the FIRST DOOR SLAM! Now, I'm the master mechanic in the house
Old 02-12-13, 12:11 PM
Mattrob
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha that is funny! Awesome fix to. Kudos...
Old 04-11-13, 03:21 PM
2k4CamkilA
Intermediate

My right rear passenger side window started to do this about week ago...I tried to do the "miracle" fixes but doesnt seem to work...So is my only option is to open the panel and have a look? Where would i get the cushion from?
Old 04-15-13, 12:17 PM
JWRussell
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Try it again - Just to make sure you did it correctly!

Originally Posted by 2k4CamkilA
My right rear passenger side window started to do this about week ago...I tried to do the "miracle" fixes but doesnt seem to work...So is my only option is to open the panel and have a look? Where would i get the cushion from?
Ok 2k, Let's make sure you tried it correctly. Maybe this might save lots of work, cash, and time.

Start the engine, and leave it running.

Go around to the back door and get in.

While holding down the window button, Slam the door 3 or 4 times.

This worked for me, first time, hope it works for you.
Old 04-18-13, 08:13 AM
jgart
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, JSM1284, Had the same problem, applied your fix, and it worked.
Old 05-08-13, 09:37 AM
herts9
Driver School Candidate

same here on my 04 ES330.. i never get back there, and my daughter tried to open the window to no avail. was shopping around window motor prices, but luckily found this thread. tried it one time, with the engine running and BOOM, window down!

thanks Lexus nation!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 05 Lexus ES330 rear window won't open!!