ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

How to disable Daytime Running Lights?

Old 03-13-11, 08:14 AM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok so I disconnect the passesger wire. But nothin happened when I turned the fog on ..- also tried with driver but still nothing ..how come m I missing somethin..oh I also have OEM HID headlights..but duuno if that would help
Old 03-13-11, 08:47 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by akabond
Ok so I disconnect the passesger wire. But nothin happened when I turned the fog on ..- also tried with driver but still nothing ..how come m I missing somethin..oh I also have OEM HID headlights..but duuno if that would help
JamesBond1 is in Canada. I know for a fact that the DRL circuits are somewhat different between the 98-00 Canadian and US spec LS400's. Maybe they are also different for similar years of the ES300. In fact, according to the diagram website I posted a few minutes ago, the U.S. 2000 ES300 DRL does not have a DRL relay under the dash like the Canadian 1998 ES300 does.

My U.S. spec 2000 LS400 has the same DRL relay under the dash as JamesBond1's 1998 ES300 so it would appear that the wire cutting/switch splicing method I suggest might apply (if it works at all) only to the Canadian spec ES300 like JamesBond1 has.

Last edited by Kansas; 03-13-11 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-13-11, 10:48 AM
imherenow
Racer

hmm mine is Canadian 2000 ES too..thats y i thought mine would work too since JamesBond1 whos had Canadian one works too..
Old 03-13-11, 11:17 AM
JamesBond1
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas
According the graphic in the attached diagram, DRL relay #1 under the dash of a 1998 Canadian spec ES300 is the same part number as the one illustrated in the following thread where qewani1 enabled the DRL on his 2000 LS400 on which the DRL had been diasbled by a previous owner: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-in-ucf20.html

If the DRL does work the same on the ES and LS, it would look like all you have to do is cut that one wire to deactivate the DRL. Even better ... cut the wire and splice in a toggle switch so you can turn your DRL on and off anytime you want.
I and others, I'm sure, would rather just unplug a connection rather than cut a wire and start splicing at somthing that's not guaranteed to work considering the LS is a different car.

I'm just going to sick to my way, in which I can easily plug it back in to re enable the DRL's...
Old 03-13-11, 11:21 AM
JamesBond1
Pit Crew

If you want to have only your foglights on (like mine) you need to do the "foglight mod" you can find it using the search bar.

Here, I found it for you.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...witch-mod.html

Last edited by JamesBond1; 03-13-11 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-13-11, 02:28 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

hmm mine is Canadian 2000 ES too..thats y i thought mine would work too since JamesBond1 whos had Canadian one works too..
Sorry but I assumed that "TX" stands for Texas. Does "NS" stand for Nova Scotia?

This is weird ... that website that says the Canadian spec 1998 ES300 has a DRL Relay under the dash shows that the Canadian spec 2000 ES300 does not have it -- says "not applicable". The website is "usually" accurate but it would not be the first time that I've noticed an error.

You could look under the dash and see if it has the DRL Relay and, if it does, try cutting the one wire shown in the thread I pointed you too.

Personally, I don't understand why some people hate DRL so much and I certainly can't imagine giving up one of the high beams just to get rid of it. And especially because DRL is required "up there" ... one of my Ontario cousins had to have DRL added when he imported a car from the States back in 2008. It has become apparent from recent research that DRL is not as effective as was once thought but it sure is handy for lighting up underground parking garages and tunnels for the few seconds it takes until the automatic low beams kick on.
Attached Thumbnails How to disable Daytime Running Lights?-2000-es300-canada-drl-relay-1.jpg  
Old 03-13-11, 02:45 PM
imherenow
Racer

ya thanks and thanks JamesBond1 too . I will have to seee..requires some wiring n stuff which i m not @ all good at. i usually dont touch electrical stuff (depends on situations) prolly fuses n stuff. but this one requires playing around a bit so i will see later on.
haha ya TX n NS i have added together .its a long story .. ES in NS and RX in TX.
But personally i do love DRL especially in cold countries but its just that i like fog DRL >>>> than the current DRL.
Old 10-18-14, 10:28 AM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Did any American members figure out a way to disable their DRLs?
Old 10-18-14, 11:22 AM
imherenow
Racer

I just followed his instructions and you will be fine. it worked on my Es300 too. i just love it!!

Attached Thumbnails How to disable Daytime Running Lights?-dscf1005.jpg  
Old 10-18-14, 12:08 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Hey man I can't watch it on my phone! Does it disable your high beams? Do you have to cruise around during the day with your fogs? I would like to not have any lights during the day!
Old 10-18-14, 01:11 PM
lostape45
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah to disable the DRLs you have to unplug one high beam (i suggest the passenger one) and since they are run in series, they will not light up. Then you will only have your driver high beam work but I never use mine and I absolutely hate DRLs. As for the fog lights, you can still use your switch on the turn signal stalk to switch on/off your fogs whenever you want.
Old 10-18-14, 04:15 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by lostape45
Yeah to disable the DRLs you have to unplug one high beam (i suggest the passenger one) and since they are run in series, they will not light up. Then you will only have your driver high beam work but I never use mine and I absolutely hate DRLs. As for the fog lights, you can still use your switch on the turn signal stalk to switch on/off your fogs whenever you want.
That sounds ridiculous. Why not just remove the DRL bulbs or install burnt out/dummy ones?
Old 10-18-14, 04:19 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

As far as I'm concerned this whole project, and it's objective is ridiculous..

Just my own opinion.

Phil
Old 10-18-14, 04:27 PM
lostape45
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

This wasn't my idea, I found it from a post years ago on here. I just did it to my car. The issue is that the high beams are also the DRLs so if you put in bad bulbs for the DRLs, you have no high beams. This way you at least have one high beam.
Old 10-18-14, 05:43 PM
ViPeRs103
Driver

Is anyone familiar that the Parking brake is tied in somehow to the DRL's... For example before you turn on the ignition hit the parking brake one click or two then start the car.. viola no DRL's will be illuminated and the high beams still work.. somehow the switch for the parking brake has to be jumped somehow and the bulb be removed from the IC (instrument cluster) otherwise you will be seeing the illumination of the parking brake at all times.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to disable Daytime Running Lights?