ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

How to disable Daytime Running Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-10, 10:55 AM
JamesBond1
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by akabond
hmmmmm try locatin the fus box..prolly in engine or under/near the gas/break pedals (left corner tho)...i think theres a fuse for DRL..Just remove it..i think that should be ok. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
I removed the fuse and the relay and my DRL still came on I wonder, what is the point of the fuse and the relay if it still comes on

I'm just going to plug out the passenger side highbeam light bulb and do it that way....I'm just having a hard time unhooking it considering I cant get my hands in there to disconnect it....
Old 04-21-10, 12:27 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I'm not 100% positive on the ES on this, but this is what I did with my RX300 which has a similar motor setup to your ES, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ng-lights.html

Take a look at page 2 for more photos.
Old 04-29-10, 05:29 PM
JamesBond1
Pit Crew

Smile

Alright, so I played around and it is safe to say that the easiest way to disable DRL would be to simply disconnect the passenger highbeam bulb only.

That way you can still use your highbeam (only the driver light will work because the passenger is unpluged) to flash another diver if you have to. Also, disconnect the passenger side and not the driver side because the left highbeam is more useful than the right IMO. Oh and FYI no light comes on the dash when you do this

Please note that DRLs are a safety feature designed to make you more visable to other drivers and pedestrians and driving a vehicle without DRLs, in Canada, is illegal. Disable at your own risk and know that you're liable for any fines/tickets that you may get.

Thanks everyone for your input/opinions/and techniques.

Last edited by JamesBond1; 05-10-10 at 09:48 AM.
Old 04-29-10, 07:02 PM
JamesBond1
Pit Crew

Cool

This is how it looks with DRLs disabled and with foglight mod.
Attached Thumbnails How to disable Daytime Running Lights?-dsc08384-1-.jpg   How to disable Daytime Running Lights?-dsc08386-1-.jpg  
Old 07-16-10, 07:13 PM
acc
Pole Position

I want 6000k for my fogs on my es300.
Old 07-16-10, 07:34 PM
JamesBond1
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by acc
I want 6000k for my fogs on my es300.
The pictures above were with 6000k. Now I have 5000k
Old 07-16-10, 08:42 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

I've removed an inappropriate post and immature replies with personal attacks from this thread. I strongly suggest they not be replaced with similar content.
Old 03-12-11, 12:45 PM
JamesBond1
Pit Crew

Thanks for high-jacking my thread bro .....I made this thread and posted instructions as well, but to my findings. My instructions are posted before the pictures on this page. All you had to do was scroll up and read but you didn't. If you have an easier/better way than take the time and make your own thread saying so rather than post a link and question without reading a single pervious post to this usefull thread.

Last edited by JamesBond1; 03-12-11 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-12-11, 01:23 PM
JamesBond1
Pit Crew

Thank you kindly for removing...

And for the rest of you who would like to disable the DRL's, Instructions are posted above BEFORE my pictures. I found this to be the easiest and best way to disable the DRL's without any modifications and can easily be turned back on if needed.

Thanks all who contributed
Old 03-12-11, 03:04 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice to know... Im not so concerned with the cops catching me if i disable my lights as Im just not too worried bout the police here.
Old 03-12-11, 03:57 PM
JamesBond1
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by xsh0tya
Nice to know... Im not so concerned with the cops catching me if i disable my lights as Im just not too worried bout the police here.
Toronto cops really don't bother drivers without DRL's either.

Plus, I drive with my foglights on, during the day, so I'm "safe"
Old 03-12-11, 04:46 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesBond1
Alright, so I played around and it is safe to say that the easiest way to disable DRL would be to simply disconnect the passenger highbeam bulb only.

That way you can still use your highbeam (only the driver light will work because the passenger is unpluged) to flash another diver if you have to. Also, disconnect the passenger side and not the driver side because the left highbeam is more useful than the right IMO. Oh and FYI no light comes on the dash when you do this

Please note that DRLs are a safety feature designed to make you more visable to other drivers and pedestrians and driving a vehicle without DRLs, in Canada, is illegal. Disable at your own risk and know that you're liable for any fines/tickets that you may get.

Thanks everyone for your input/opinions/and techniques.

So u mean like disconnet the wire and then what did u do to the removed wire ..did u like tape it or somethin? or did u removed the bulb? m lost
Old 03-12-11, 04:58 PM
JamesBond1
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by akabond
So u mean like disconnet the wire and then what did u do to the removed wire ..did u like tape it or somethin? or did u removed the bulb? m lost
All I did was disconnect the plug/wire, on the passenger side highbeam, and I left the bulb in (there is no point in removing the bulb). You can tape the wire/plug if you would like - to prevent dirt from going into it.

Still lost?
Old 03-12-11, 09:11 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
All I did was disconnect the plug/wire, on the passenger side highbeam, and I left the bulb in (there is no point in removing the bulb). You can tape the wire/plug if you would like - to prevent dirt from going into it.

Still lost?
ok so when u disconnected it ..what did u do to the wire?since u didnt remove the bulb too..

And also where did u get those bulbs ..i guess 6000k or 5000k

Last edited by imherenow; 03-12-11 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-13-11, 08:12 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Still lost?
According the graphic in the attached diagram, DRL relay #1 under the dash of a 1998 Canadian spec ES300 is the same part number as the one illustrated in the following thread where qewani1 enabled the DRL on his 2000 LS400 on which the DRL had been diasbled by a previous owner: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-in-ucf20.html

If the DRL does work the same on the ES and LS, it would look like all you have to do is cut that one wire to deactivate the DRL. Even better ... cut the wire and splice in a toggle switch so you can turn your DRL on and off anytime you want.
Attached Thumbnails How to disable Daytime Running Lights?-1998-es300-canada-drl-relay-1.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Pupule7 (07-25-20)

Quick Reply: How to disable Daytime Running Lights?