ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Won't Start - 2002 ES 330 - Help!

Old 03-23-10, 01:01 AM
djdino
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't Start - 2002 ES 330 - Help!

Hey all,

First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to read this. I really need your help with this issue. I've done some searches and was unable to find anything that would alleviate my non starting issue.

I have a 2002 ES 330. Today, I drove to my mom's house. Parked, ran in the house for about 5 mins, came back out and the car would not start. Battery is fine, radio, dom light, stereo turns on, etc. It doesn't turn over so I cannot troubleshoot if it's a starter issue. All I hear is the fuel pump humming but nothing ignites.

I have both key fobs. Both arms and disarms, lock doors, windows all roll down automatically and looks like it works as it should. Even the 'lock' icon blinks after arming it so I know the fobs are communicating correctly. I even tried jumping the car to no avail as a last resort but no dice.

I'm leaning towards the the VAT system, what do you guys think? I don't know why it would just all of sudden decide to turn itself on and prevent cranking up. I've read instructions on programming the key fobs but these keys have been working fine.

Please help, street cleaning is in a few days!!

Thanks in advance,

Dino

Last edited by djdino; 03-23-10 at 01:04 AM.
Old 03-23-10, 06:34 AM
dcapo
Driver

should post a youtube video, u can push the car if u dont get moving in time, does it click when u start? alternator check? check engine light on?
Old 03-23-10, 08:50 AM
djdino
Driver School Candidate

Hey Dcapo,

No clicking at all. Well all of the basic lights are on, seatbelt, abs, etc. I put in my code scanner and it didn't pull any codes either. However, I think a more accurate reading is when the engine is on. I don't think it's the alternator because we tried to jump the car and that didn't help.

Thanks!
Old 03-23-10, 09:07 AM
scotholden
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really stupid idea, and I'm sure you've checked it; but thought I'd throw it out there.

Make sure its clicked into park all the way?

(Feel free to yell at me if this is an absurd idea :-p)
Old 03-23-10, 09:59 AM
djdino
Driver School Candidate

Scot,

That's actually isn't a stupid idea at all. I checked that also it's definitely set to park. I even shift it down from park to drive just in case. Thanks though!
Old 03-23-10, 03:40 PM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Loose or corroded battery terminal connections ?

oops - never mind. I just saw that you tried jumping it ...
Old 03-23-10, 04:00 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Did you wait a few minutes and try again to start up the car? The VATS on my Seville has been having problems for a few years and every once and a while it will prevent me from starting up and will display a countdown for 3 minutes and then allow me to start up the car. Perhaps your car has a wait that is longer, say 30 minutes, an hour or maybe even longer. I'd pull the codes to see whats going on. Someone with more knowledge on your particular car would need to chirp in once you have those codes, which leads me to ask what exact year/model is your vehicle, because the 2002 ES330 you listed in the title is a factual impossibility.
Old 03-23-10, 04:33 PM
djdino
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GoodRevs
Did you wait a few minutes and try again to start up the car? The VATS on my Seville has been having problems for a few years and every once and a while it will prevent me from starting up and will display a countdown for 3 minutes and then allow me to start up the car. Perhaps your car has a wait that is longer, say 30 minutes, an hour or maybe even longer. I'd pull the codes to see whats going on. Someone with more knowledge on your particular car would need to chirp in once you have those codes, which leads me to ask what exact year/model is your vehicle, because the 2002 ES330 you listed in the title is a factual impossibility.
Good Revs,

Thanks for catching my typo. My Car is a 2002 ES 300 (not a 330). My eyes are killing me trying to read up possible solutions. I disconnected the battery for about 15 mins and tried to start it up with no success. The car isn't outputting any codes though.

Thanks again guys!
Old 03-23-10, 05:19 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by djdino
Good Revs,

Thanks for catching my typo. My Car is a 2002 ES 300 (not a 330). My eyes are killing me trying to read up possible solutions. I disconnected the battery for about 15 mins and tried to start it up with no success. The car isn't outputting any codes though.

Thanks again guys!
Gotcha, no worries. I'd check the fuses, make sure none are blown. Next guess is an exposed, rotted wire or cable. Other than that I'm out. But check the fuses for the alarm and security system.
Old 03-23-10, 06:39 PM
dcapo
Driver

if not electrical could be clogged/dead fuel pump? should post a video for us to get a better idea
Old 03-23-10, 06:39 PM
djdino
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GoodRevs
Gotcha, no worries. I'd check the fuses, make sure none are blown. Next guess is an exposed, rotted wire or cable. Other than that I'm out. But check the fuses for the alarm and security system.
I just got done checking all the fuses, everything looks fine. I left the keys in the ignition and while checking underneath the hood, I could hear buzzing noise.

Starter??
Old 03-23-10, 06:42 PM
djdino
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dcapo
if not electrical could be clogged/dead fuel pump? should post a video for us to get a better idea
I should have done a video earlier, it's already dark. I'll try to get something up tomorrow if I get home sooner.

Guys,

Is the starter underneath the air filter box for these cars? Man, things are so much easy to work with on the 4 bangers lol.

Last edited by djdino; 03-23-10 at 06:50 PM.
Old 03-23-10, 09:43 PM
mmlex1987
Intermediate

Is the engine cranking when trying to start, or nothing happens when you try and start?
Old 03-23-10, 11:02 PM
djdino
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mmlex1987
Is the engine cranking when trying to start, or nothing happens when you try and start?
No cranking at all.
Old 03-24-10, 09:27 AM
mmlex1987
Intermediate

If no cranking, I would start with looking at the starter and or starting solenoid.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Won't Start - 2002 ES 330 - Help!