ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Struts ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-10, 12:23 PM
Lexfire
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Struts ?

Afternoon to all. I have a 98 ES300 and its in need of struts in front, Im looking at the Monroe Sensa-Trac a little more than the others. What experiences has everyone had, $60 Monroe standard shocks or the $110 Monroe Sensa Tracs? Or other makes please advise.
Old 03-10-10, 12:32 PM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexfire
Afternoon to all. I have a 98 ES300 and its in need of struts in front, Im looking at the Monroe Sensa-Trac a little more than the others. What experiences has everyone had, $60 Monroe standard shocks or the $110 Monroe Sensa Tracs? Or other makes please advise.
if you're looking for something close to oem shocks, I say kyb-gr2 all the way. i think the fronts can be found for around 65-75 bucks per strut.
Old 03-19-10, 02:24 PM
Robkarlee
Driver School Candidate

I replaced with Monroe Sens-a-trac and they didn't last 40,000 mi. I am going with KYB-gr2 this time around from Rockauto.com
Old 03-19-10, 04:12 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexfire
I would go with what everyone else have suggested the Kyb's I've heard are very close to OEM, thats if your looking to go with a stock ride and feel, if your planning to lower it later on, I would go with coilovers, otherwise some tanabe springs with the Kyb's will work too and give you a low stance and close to OEM ride and feel. Good Luck.
Old 03-21-10, 04:44 PM
mtnman82
Rookie

+1 on the KYB GR2's. I've used them in several of my vehicles over the years and have been happy with them. I'll be replacing the struts in my '96 fairly soon here, and the GR2's will be going in it as well.
Old 03-21-10, 05:00 PM
Maxx941
Lexus Test Driver

+2 on KYB GR2, just installed last weekend with Tanabe springs and rides Great. Very smooth ride
Old 03-23-10, 09:43 AM
dallison
Intermediate

+1 on the kyb's
Old 06-21-10, 03:58 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I know this is old, but what is wrong with the monroes?
Old 06-21-10, 05:15 PM
SteveM
Driver

I have a 97 ES300 that needs struts all around. Do the KYB GR2 struts work with the electronic control (comfort and sport range)? Do you guys who used the KYB struts have this control in the centre console? Might be a silly question but I was just wondering if these struts would work for me.
Old 06-21-10, 06:17 PM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveM
I have a 97 ES300 that needs struts all around. Do the KYB GR2 struts work with the electronic control (comfort and sport range)? Do you guys who used the KYB struts have this control in the centre console? Might be a silly question but I was just wondering if these struts would work for me.
ah this is what you're asking. I posted an answer in the other thread but I don't think I answered it since I didn't understand your question. The control in the center console is for the AVS (adaptive variable suspension) a very rare feature in the ES. If you have to replace these, then you have two options:

1) Buy the AVS suspension - only the dealer carries this and they run close to 250 to 300 per strut not including mounts. This allows you to retain the ability to control the struts (comfort/sport). You have to also buy mounts as well, which also cost more than the conventional mounts.

2) Replace the AVS suspension with regular struts (KYB, Tokico). The KYB GR2's will run about 60 per strut, so total of about 240 to 300 depending on where you buy it from. You should get the OEM mounts as the after market ones wear out and make noises after a while. If you go the Tokico route, they will run about 100 per strut.

If you replace the AVS suspension with regular struts, you will lose the ability to use that dial on your center console. You will have no problems at all switching over as I have done this on two of my ES300's. Both the KYB and Tokico ride pretty close to stock so it's a matter of preference/money. Hope this helps.
Old 06-22-10, 09:53 PM
SteveM
Driver

Originally Posted by PlatES300
ah this is what you're asking. I posted an answer in the other thread but I don't think I answered it since I didn't understand your question. The control in the center console is for the AVS (adaptive variable suspension) a very rare feature in the ES. If you have to replace these, then you have two options:

1) Buy the AVS suspension - only the dealer carries this and they run close to 250 to 300 per strut not including mounts. This allows you to retain the ability to control the struts (comfort/sport). You have to also buy mounts as well, which also cost more than the conventional mounts.

2) Replace the AVS suspension with regular struts (KYB, Tokico). The KYB GR2's will run about 60 per strut, so total of about 240 to 300 depending on where you buy it from. You should get the OEM mounts as the after market ones wear out and make noises after a while. If you go the Tokico route, they will run about 100 per strut.

If you replace the AVS suspension with regular struts, you will lose the ability to use that dial on your center console. You will have no problems at all switching over as I have done this on two of my ES300's. Both the KYB and Tokico ride pretty close to stock so it's a matter of preference/money. Hope this helps.
Thanks a lot for this thorough repsonse it answered my question exactly. This is the beauty of CL. Thanks also for laying out the options in a detailed way. They make sense to me and I can head in the right direction without wasting time and effort guessing.

I've decided to just replace the AVS with the regular struts and am still deciding about the mounts (OEM vs. aftermarket) as I am planning to sell my beloved ES (picked up an LS430 in Feb). It's the car that made me adore Lexus quality so I'll be sorry to see it go

Thanks again!
Old 06-22-10, 10:14 PM
lexluva
Rookie

I will be replacing the struts real soon as well and have decided on kyb gr2. I am confused as to what mounts to get, will these work and do I need all the parts listed on the page:

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/S...gory=BootMount

or am i better of going to the dealership and just buying the mounts from them? Will Toyota dealership have the mounts?
Old 06-22-10, 10:20 PM
RhondaBaby
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Maxx941
+2 on KYB GR2, just installed last weekend with Tanabe springs and rides Great. Very smooth ride
I have a '95 and it doesn't look like Tanabe has any springs for that year. Would their springs be compatible with my car or will I need to find another spring vendor?

I realize this is quoting Maxx, but if anyone has the answer to this, I'd really appreciate it.
Old 06-23-10, 08:37 AM
MoreMGD32
Pole Position

another reputable place to buy your struts at is summitracing. They are a pretty highly regarded reseller here in atlanta,ga.

Currently KYB $71.95ea Front Left and Right. $89.95ea Rear Left and right.
Old 06-24-10, 09:39 PM
mikeli689
Driver

Originally Posted by RhondaBaby
I have a '95 and it doesn't look like Tanabe has any springs for that year. Would their springs be compatible with my car or will I need to find another spring vendor?

I realize this is quoting Maxx, but if anyone has the answer to this, I'd really appreciate it.
Try searching for 95 Toyota Camry. The parts are interchangeable.

Quick Reply: Struts ?