ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Are There Any Chips Out There

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-10, 11:41 PM
GOSpdGO
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are There Any Chips Out There

Hi Guys. I am a nubie to the Lexus brand. I have an 94 ES 300. I have had a few other cars before, and I never leave anything stock. I have modded the other cars that I have had before, so I am no stranger to the after market world. I was wondering if anyone can make a suggestion on an chip or ecu flash program that I can use. Also any suggestions on an intake and exhaust would be appreciated.....Thanx guys....
Old 02-11-10, 11:57 PM
DixonPai
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

So far as i hear, there are non for the es and if there was they dont work
Old 02-12-10, 06:21 AM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No Chips.

Intake and exhaust won't get much power on out cars.

For an intake, you can make your own using Spectre parts from the auto store, or just go on ebay and get one.

99-03 Solara OBX headers/y-pipe bolt onto the car.
Old 02-12-10, 07:34 PM
GOSpdGO
Driver School Candidate

Thanx Guys....So are there any other ways to get the car to make more power...besides turbo of course....I have about a $5,000 budget..
Old 02-12-10, 07:48 PM
mooseboy84
Rookie

No offense, but if your willing to spend 5K to mod a 94 es300... I would have putting that money to buying a 3rd gen 97-01, which probably has 5x as many aftermarket options available than the 2nd gen, 94-96.

I have a 96 and like it, but... dropping 5k on a 16 year old car? Come on now, put that money in a 3 year CD, and forget about it. Youll be much happier when it matured, than dropping that kind of money in an old car.
Old 02-12-10, 08:04 PM
GOSpdGO
Driver School Candidate

I hear ya moose, but I want to do something to it, besides rims and cosmetic looks. The car has a new motor in it, only 20k on it. I got it from a mechanic, he basicaly rebuilt the car. The car was a steal, I only paid 1K for it. Besides the Lex, I have a 95 300zxTT that I have dropped ALOT of $$ in..it runs like hell though. I also have an RX7 modded too. I just have a passion for mid 90's cars... But from what I am seeing...guess that I will have to VIP styling with this one..UNLESS ANY ONE ELSE HAS ANY IDEA'S!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by GOSpdGO; 02-12-10 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-12-10, 11:33 PM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

I Spent $2k on my TRD SC and $650 on upgrades to go with the SC for reliability, and have 224whp (stock is 145whp with the Auto)....I'll whoop any stock (and most moded) 97-01 ES300's. And it doesn't really have any more aftermarker upgrades then the 94-96. In fact, the 99-01 being VVT-i, may have less.
Old 02-13-10, 06:23 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

The only one that I know of offhand (and only from the experience of a Solara Owner) were that of Jet Performance, http://www.jetchip.com but I'll defer to ASG14's comments here given the amount of money you have to spend.
Old 02-13-10, 11:43 PM
2ndgen300
Driver

i got the cosmo racing intake on mine
it looks and sounds amazing
you can check it out in my pictures if you want to see what it looks like
Old 02-14-10, 06:28 AM
GOSpdGO
Driver School Candidate

I looked at the chip from jet performance...might get it. ASG14.....Where did you get the TRD S/C from...and which reliability upgrades did you do?
Old 02-14-10, 03:42 PM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

The SuperChargers are always trading hands on SolaraGuy forums for between $2k-$3k. The extra's were I got all new idler pullies/belt, SAFC2, and upgraded the fuel pump. HIGHLY recommended but not needed (with the SC setup) is the OBX headers/y-pipe and some kinda of intake (I made my own).

The '94 is an odd year. You HAVE to relocate the knock sensor (easy job actually), and you need to relocate the A/C idle up vsv as it;s part of the stock intake plenum. I forgot what to do for that, but it;s easy as 2 of my friends did it. Actually, one of those friends is in MD, lol. Red '94 Camry Coupe.
Old 02-15-10, 12:04 PM
BoostedE21
Pole Position

I really wouldn't suggest throwing a lot of money into an ES. Regardless of what you do, it's going to be overweight and handle pretty poorly unless you do some serious weight removal, balancing, invest in some more competition-based brakes (carbotech pads are good, but they eat rotors when cool), and pick up some soft compound tires. And then start working on the power.

If your engine has any weaknesses (lower than normal compression, temp issues, etc), the supercharger is just going to make it worse. And you have to consider cooling - as I'm sure you know because of the Z, compressed air gets VERY hot, and you can't just toss in a supercharger without considering intercooling....and on a car like this, it's just not worth it.

I'm big into modifications as well - my E21 has standalone EFI/EDIS, a hand made turbo sytstem, full roll cage, coilovers, big sway bars, home made polyurethane bushings, big brakes, and so on....but my ES is stock. There's a point to having a daily driver - you just leave it in its most efficient and reliable form, which is usually pretty much stock. Exhaust on these things sounds good to some, but I think exhaust on automatic cars sounds a bit funky, and IMO, adding exhaust loudness to any Lexus other than the IS-F is a bit tacky. Induction noise, on the other hand, is great on this engine. If you can increase induction noise, you should be happy - it'll be quiet when you're cruising, and louder when you get on the gas.
Old 02-15-10, 02:24 PM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

^ Um, Id suggest you do some research on the 1MZ engine.....

And yes, you CAN just toss a SC in without intercooling it, but what do I know. I have no idea what a SC is.....
Old 02-15-10, 02:36 PM
BoostedE21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ASG14
^ Um, Id suggest you do some research on the 1MZ engine.....

And yes, you CAN just toss a SC in without intercooling it, but what do I know. I have no idea what a SC is.....
You can, but shouldn't. Low pressure boosting is generally okay without an intercooler, but as you know, you don't get as much power out of hot air - so why not just put the intercooler in and allow for expandability in the future? If you live where I do, where ambient intake temperatures are already 105+ degrees in the summer, there's no reason to skimp out on your cooling - knocking's a *****.
Old 02-15-10, 03:01 PM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, so your assuming he wants OVER 300whp. I don;t think he;s looking for a crazy amount of power. The TRD SC at 6PSI on the Auto can produce ~240whp reliably, without any intercooling. 240whp is a nice amount of power in the car as a Daily Driver.

7PSI is when you start to need cooling. And for the TRD setup, the best bet is Meth injection.

Quick Reply: Are There Any Chips Out There