ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Is this a balance issue, or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-10, 08:15 AM
mmlex1987
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ I strongly agree with having the problem corrected before replacing the tires.
Old 01-24-10, 12:00 AM
03EStwin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, these symptoms sound almost identical to what I've been experiencing. The problem is, after my initial rotation with old tires, I experienced the severe vibration
(2003 ES300), so I went to Goodyear, they recommended new tires (hmm go figure), so I take the bait, since I didn't know the history of the existing tires and just wanted a clean slate, and had the following done:

New Goodyear Eagle GT V-Speeds (all four)
Balance
Alignment
Rotors Turned (was having major vibration at high speed braking)
New Brake Pads (Front only)

Yet, I'm still experiencing vibration through the steering wheel at 50-55mph+. I'm baffled, and the braking is much better, but at high speed cruising, the vibration is continuous through the steering and floorboard, so I'm not sure if all those things were done, what the problem could still be. I've seen some replies here suggesting Suspension/Strut problems, but I wasn't experiencing any uncomfortable driving until I had the tires rotated a week ago on a road trip, just out of guilt for not doing it much before. I don't really want to keep spending unnecessary money on things that may or may not need repaired.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-24-10, 07:16 AM
schmoozer
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may consider starting a new thread as it might not get as much traffic through here to answer your question.

That's exactly what happened to me though. I rotated the tires and the car started vibrating....however when I took it to the shop they showed me under the lift how the tires were cupping and needed replacing. After they were replaced the car ran like a dream again (aside from the steering wheel being out of center, but that's a whole different issue! haha)

I feel as though the rotation had something to do with it...but as to the how or why, I have no clue. And considering that your vibration still exists it would lead me to believe that its a suspension issue, but I really have no clue. I would take it back to them and complain if they sold you on the idea that the vibration would go away with new tires.