ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

1996 ES300 starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-09, 11:24 AM
gaguirre
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 ES300 starting problems

I just found this site and would like to see if anyone can help me with my ES 300 starting problems.

I have a 96 ES300 with 337K miles on her. I have just started having this problem and wanted to see if anyone had a solution. When I go to start the car sometimes it will just click and not turn the engine all panel lights come on but no engine after a few tries the engine will turn and then be ok for a while and then same problem. At first I thought it was the battery but that has been changed and same problem. Any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Happy New Year
Old 12-31-09, 12:22 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we'd have to check it in person. if you get an estimate, we can testify to the voracity in it. i suggest you try first a free charging and starting system check [alternator, starter, battery] , advance auto and autozone do it, and I'm sure their equivalents as it applies in regions like Texas do it too.

the only question i have is :
"then be ok for a while and then same problem."
what does this mean?

does this mean that it will suddenly crank over and then start, but only after a few tries, then you turn it off and then go to turn it on, it starts succesfully, but a few successful starts transpire followed by a failure?

or does this mean it will suddenly crank over and then start, but only after a few tries, and then runs normally, you turn it off, and it fails to start the same way?

otherwise it sounds like a common starter or battery issue, but again, get it checked.
Old 01-04-10, 07:43 AM
gaguirre
Driver School Candidate

Sorry about the delay I was out of pocket for a few days. It seems the no start only a single click happens every morning and then just a few times during the day. It will click all dash lights will turn off and then I release dash lights come on again and then more attempts with the same result and then it will start like new with no drag or any other issues. I can turn it off after it starts and it will start right up it seems to only happen when it is off for a while. I will stop in at a AZ and have them do a starting system check.

Thanks
Old 01-04-10, 08:48 AM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, llcool said it right. 1 other thing. Check the batter terminals for corrosion, and make sure the connecors are tight.
Old 01-04-10, 09:58 AM
mmlex1987
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gaguirre
Sorry about the delay I was out of pocket for a few days. It seems the no start only a single click happens every morning and then just a few times during the day. It will click all dash lights will turn off and then I release dash lights come on again and then more attempts with the same result and then it will start like new with no drag or any other issues. I can turn it off after it starts and it will start right up it seems to only happen when it is off for a while. I will stop in at a AZ and have them do a starting system check.

Thanks
I agree with iicoolpass, since you stated the dash lights go off when trying to crank and come back on when you release key it is quite possibly a battery terminal issue. It also could be a starter on its way out.
Old 01-07-10, 06:54 AM
gaguirre
Driver School Candidate

AZ checked the starting system and all checked ok, the car did the click while getting ready to leave and the tech said it might be the brushes on the starter possibly getting stuck. after a few clicks it started right up with no drag. Would it be wise to possibly just change the brushes or because of the mileage just replace the starter? If so is this an DIY project or do you recommend taking her in? Thanks for all of the help and advice.
Old 12-26-12, 09:36 PM
NCTQ
Driver School Candidate

My 1996 es300 is doing the same thing after 139,000 miles. Fails twice to start. Then starts normal. May not fail next time. Was this your starter gaguirre?
Old 12-29-12, 10:31 PM
ChanelBabe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NCTQ
My 1996 es300 is doing the same thing after 139,000 miles. Fails twice to start. Then starts normal. May not fail next time. Was this your starter gaguirre?
My 95 es300 with 111k m is now doing this but only for the 1st start of the morning. If it starts in the morning, it starts for the rest of the day. It's not my battery or starter.

It's with the mechanic again.
Old 12-30-12, 06:29 AM
donbryce
Driver

Would it be wise to possibly just change the brushes or because of the mileage just replace the starter? If so is this an DIY project or do you recommend taking her in? Thanks for all of the help and advice.
In all my years changing starters, the one on the 6cyl Toyota like yours has to be one of the easiest. Remove battery and tray, connections, 2 bolts IIRC. No crawling around underneath, it's right there on the top of the engine. These are not designed for easy DIY overhaul, but you could do it with a kit. I'd advise getting a new or quality rebuilt IF the starter is in fact the problem. I got a new, not rebuilt, aftermarket for my 2002 Camry locally for about $200.00. A world of difference, engages immediately and spins twice as fast as the worn out original, and about 1/2 hour to change.
Old 12-30-12, 07:59 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Just an FYI for every one else, this thread is exactly 3 years old.

As for the complaint, it sounds like a bad starter. My sister had a clicking issue on her 2008 Mitsubishi, it turned out to be a dying battery. It wasn't producing enough juice to turn the starter. So don't rule that out either.
Old 12-31-12, 07:35 AM
donbryce
Driver

Damn, I missed that! Like posting to a ghost...oh well, it's not like no one will benefit. from the info. HAPPY NEW YEAR all.
Old 12-31-12, 09:26 AM
kakarot
Rookie

I just found this site and would like to see if anyone can help me with my ES 300 starting problems.

I have a 96 ES300 with 337K miles on her. I have just started having this problem and wanted to see if anyone had a solution. When I go to start the car sometimes it will just click and not turn the engine all panel lights come on but no engine after a few tries the engine will turn and then be ok for a while and then same problem. At first I thought it was the battery but that has been changed and same problem. Any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Happy New Year
It is definitely the starter contact, replace starter contact cost under $30 I might be wrong but call your lexus parts or other auto parts store for parts.
Here are your choice:
1. Purchase starter contact and replace it (cheap and easy to do.)
2. Get a use starter on eBay for cheap price (remove the old one put in the new use one).
3. Buying a new starter is expensive (not my choice)
Old 01-01-13, 02:13 PM
NCTQ
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kakarot
It is definitely the starter contact, replace starter contact cost under $30 I might be wrong but call your lexus parts or other auto parts store for parts.
Here are your choice:
1. Purchase starter contact and replace it (cheap and easy to do.)
2. Get a use starter on eBay for cheap price (remove the old one put in the new use one).
3. Buying a new starter is expensive (not my choice)
Yep it was the starter contacts. I just got the 2 starter contacts and Replacement Plunger with center contact from startercontacts.com and watched (and shined flashlight under a tarp outside on a rainy day) a mechanic friend do the work. Took about 1 to 1.5 hours in and out and he knew what he was doing. Parts and labor about $100.