ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

What to look for with a high mileage ES

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-12, 05:28 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Guys this thread is like 2 years old...lol
But, 180k isn't high miles for a Toyota. At 180,000 miles it's not even broken in yet...haha
Old 02-17-12, 05:53 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
Guys this thread is like 2 years old...lol
But, 180k isn't high miles for a Toyota. At 180,000 miles it's not even broken in yet...haha
Yeah right.... My '98 has 182k at the moment and it's in need of all types of work.
Old 02-17-12, 07:02 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Smile "Your Mileage, May Vary"

Originally Posted by MrBooby
Yeah right.... My '98 has 182k at the moment and it's in need of all types of work.
How long have you owned it? What are the service records like? Was it maintained per service schedule? Was it/is it abused? How do you treat your car?

And, your 1998 is 14 years old, it's going to require a little bit of work. No car is going to run forever without maintaining it, not even a Toyota.

Words of wisdom: Treat your car, the way you want to be treated.

P.S.: "Your Mileage, May Vary"
Old 02-17-12, 11:01 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

How long have you owned it? What are the service records like? Was it maintained per service schedule? Was it/is it abused? How do you treat your car?

And, your 1998 is 14 years old, it's going to require a little bit of work. No car is going to run forever without maintaining it, not even a Toyota.

Words of wisdom: Treat your car, the way you want to be treated.

P.S.: "Your Mileage, May Vary"
I have owned it since July 2011, so that's 7-8 months. Service records are questionable, since there was nothing to go by besides the seller's word and the incomplete records I got from Lexus. I wouldn't say that it was abused, because the interior is in a very good shape and the mechanical side is fairly good as well considering the age of the car.

I treat it very well. I'm **** about maintenance and have already fixed quiet a bit of stuff.

Major areas of concern are:

Suspension overhaul (Struts, Swaybar Links, Swaybar Bushings).
Timing Belt and Waterpump - have no records of when it was done.
Two small dents that need to be repaired.

Some other stuff that may need attention:
A/C compressor sounds like it has a bad bearing, whenever it's on. It's intermittent.
PS Pump may be leaking, not quiet sure what's really going on, since I'm not losing PS fluid.
ABS Pump makes a weird noise on start ups.
Replacing the engine and transaxle mounts wouldn't hurt, considering their age.
Old 02-18-12, 05:36 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

I have owned it since July 2011, so that's 7-8 months. Service records are questionable, since there was nothing to go by besides the seller's word and the incomplete records I got from Lexus. I wouldn't say that it was abused, because the interior is in a very good shape and the mechanical side is fairly good as well considering the age of the car.

I treat it very well. I'm **** about maintenance and have already fixed quiet a bit of stuff.

A/C compressor sounds like it has a bad bearing, whenever it's on. It's intermittent.
PS Pump may be leaking, not quiet sure what's really going on, since I'm not losing PS fluid.
Doesn't all that bad to me. You could have a lot worse with a 14 year old car.

Why do you think the PS pump is leaking? It's possible the rear valve cover is leaking, and it's making it's way down. < happened to me...lol

Suspension is completely normal, it's going to need work after 182,000 miles... Any car will.

Timing Belt and Waterpump are maintainence items. < There might be a sticker under the hood, which says if and when it was changed.

Dents aren't necessarily a problem.. hahah

Why do you think the mounts need replacing? Vibrations?

ABS Pump- "If it ain't broke, why fix it?"

A/C Compressor- May be time for a new one, could also be a bad compressor clutch.

Out of your list, I see two things that may need replacing; A/C compressor, and the oil leak. Not bad for a 14 year old car, with 182k miles.

Try doing 182k miles on a 14 year old Domestic car or German car, see where that lands you. haha, jk.. don't try that, you'll go broke trying to fix it all the time.

Also, just because the interior is clean doesn't mean the person got the work needed done on the car. < just saying...
Old 02-18-12, 07:19 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Doesn't all that bad to me. You could have a lot worse with a 14 year old car.

Why do you think the PS pump is leaking? It's possible the rear valve cover is leaking, and it's making it's way down. < happened to me...lol

Suspension is completely normal, it's going to need work after 182,000 miles... Any car will.

Timing Belt and Waterpump are maintainence items. < There might be a sticker under the hood, which says if and when it was changed.

Dents aren't necessarily a problem.. hahah

Why do you think the mounts need replacing? Vibrations?

ABS Pump- "If it ain't broke, why fix it?"

A/C Compressor- May be time for a new one, could also be a bad compressor clutch.

Out of your list, I see two things that may need replacing; A/C compressor, and the oil leak. Not bad for a 14 year old car, with 182k miles.

Try doing 182k miles on a 14 year old Domestic car or German car, see where that lands you. haha, jk.. don't try that, you'll go broke trying to fix it all the time.

Also, just because the interior is clean doesn't mean the person got the work needed done on the car. < just saying...
You're right. Also, I'm sure that those things didn't all happen at once, so the previous owner just let them build up, and now I have to deal with them.... On the bright side, I will have a car that feels brand new when I'm done with it.
Old 02-18-12, 01:57 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

You're right. Also, I'm sure that those things didn't all happen at once, so the previous owner just let them build up, and now I have to deal with them.... On the bright side, I will have a car that feels brand new when I'm done with it.
Hey, and if you didn't have those problems with the car.. then there would be no Club Lexus... Then where would I waste my time at work? lol, I'm an addict!
Old 02-19-12, 12:21 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Hey, and if you didn't have those problems with the car.. then there would be no Club Lexus... Then where would I waste my time at work? lol, I'm an addict!
In addition, there is no fun in a car that never has anything wrong with it.
Old 02-20-12, 07:30 AM
RandomTech
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gchutes
Just take it to a mechanic before you buy. Simple as that.
Have the tech pull the #2 sparkplug. For whatever reasons it's the cylinder that always burns oil the first and the most.
Old 03-15-12, 09:51 AM
carlos3366
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/my-lexus/home.do

get an account and get history here: http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/my-lexus/home.do

Originally Posted by PFB
There are several important things that you should look for, but as far as I am concerned the top 2 are:

1) Remove the front valve cover and inspect for sludge.
2) Make sure that the timing belt was changed.

Some Others are:
3) Look for unusual smoke, especially Blue or white smoke
4) Check for Oil leaks, and find the cause (if any)
5) Check transmission fluid
6) Check the oil for any sign of coolant contamination
7) Check the coolant for any sign of oil contamination
8) Make sure that the check engine light is not ON. and if ON find the cause.
9) Test drive the car, preferably from a cold start, and see if all is normal.
10) Get the CARFAX report for your car.

Phil
Old 01-17-13, 05:28 AM
NewatLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reviving this thread almost a year later. I have a chance to buy a 2000 Lexus ES300 at 193,000 tomorrow, Friday 1/18/2013. Asking price is $2,500. Condition is described as "Like New". I personally know the seller. I read this thread throroughly and copied all pertinent information. I'm just so grateful!

Can anyone add anything else?
193,000 is really high, but it's okay, right?
I want to talk the price down, especially if it needs work or maintenance.

Thanks guys! (I'm a woman, and I may need help, but I can keep up!) I'm desperate for a new car.
Old 01-17-13, 11:13 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NewatLexus
Reviving this thread almost a year later. I have a chance to buy a 2000 Lexus ES300 at 193,000 tomorrow, Friday 1/18/2013. Asking price is $2,500. Condition is described as "Like New". I personally know the seller. I read this thread throroughly and copied all pertinent information. I'm just so grateful!

Thanks guys! (I'm a woman, and I may need help, but I can keep up!) I'm desperate for a new car.
Welcome to Club Lexus!

That price is a steal. A similar ES is selling near me with the same miles for close to $5k.

It will need a timing belt & water pump soon (for the second time, first one should have been done at 90k), if it has not already been done.

193k miles is nothing, I have the same drivetrain as the ES in my RX. And, I wouldn't hesitate to wake up tomorrow morning and drive across the country. Hell I've done it before! LOL, I regularly take 2000 mile road trips in my RX, and it run's like day one. I fully expect at least 300k miles out of it!
Old 01-17-13, 02:35 PM
rlx101
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

2500$ is not bad for the year. In Mass though be careful with rusty cars. If the car was not kept in a garage / washed regularly you might have a bit more rust on a 13yr old car... i hate rust personally. All the cars i bought over the years were garaged.

Also, if you pass on this ES - i'd look for a car from rich town (plenty of those in MA), if average town price is >500K-750K$ chances are the owner had $ to keep the car in tip top shape.

good luck!

Originally Posted by NewatLexus

Old 01-17-13, 05:06 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

I forgot all about this thread, so I though I'd update it with what I already addressed.

1. Suspension has all been done - sway bars, struts, and springs
2. Engine work has also been done - all pulleys, water pump, tensioner, timing belt, etc
3. Figured out what was causing the "PS leak" - it was actually a leaky camshaft seal
4. ABS Pump is still making weird noises on start ups, but it works fine. I even get occasional ABS codes, but I have no idea what they mean.
5. I will replace the dog bone mount sometime in the future, it looked a little dry during the timing belt change. The other mounts all seem to be okay.
6. The bodywork will be done sometime this year
Old 01-17-13, 07:18 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

$2500 isnt a lot for a car, and the 2000 has all the minor upgrades.

Quick Reply: What to look for with a high mileage ES