ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

01 Es300 Valve Cover Removal for Sludge inspection

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-10, 07:05 AM
kurtdaniel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GEORGE_JET
It is a simple job for any begining mechanic, you do not need to remove the spark plugs, but you will need to remove the coils.

You purchased a valve cover gasket, just make sure that you also get three spark plug tube gaskets too. Over the years they tend to dry out and harden, if you reuse them you may end up with a leak.
have the same prob..tnx for the suggestions..
Old 02-01-10, 07:26 AM
buci
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lucky you didn't find anything like i did when i removed the cover on my '94..
The following users liked this post:
MichaelPm (10-30-18)
Old 02-01-10, 10:15 AM
MikeLex
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just one question: in a normal running 1MZ-FE engine, when the front head looks clean, is it really necessary to check the rear one?
Old 02-01-10, 10:38 AM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

No point in removing the rear cover, it is much more work. Generally you will find more sludge in the rear head.
Old 02-01-10, 12:53 PM
MikeLex
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by buci
Lucky you didn't find anything like i did when i removed the cover on my '94..
It looks pretty reasonable for a '94 engine, or am I wrong? How many miles on it?
Old 02-01-10, 12:58 PM
buci
Driver

Originally Posted by MikeLex
It looks pretty reasonable for a '94 engine, or am I wrong? How many miles on it?
217.000 miles and counting
Old 02-02-10, 06:34 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

theres a lot of sludge [and varnish] in there. be careful trying to cleanse that engine of the sludge deposits and varnsih.
Old 02-03-10, 08:36 AM
buci
Driver

Originally Posted by llcoolpass
there is a lot of sludge [and varnish] in there. be careful trying to cleanse that engine of the sludge deposits and varnsih.
I don't think i will ever be able to clean that thing, i tried seafoam and keeping regular oil changes maybe will help.I do not want to do anything drastic in there and send a piece of sludge into the oil channels blocking the flow.
Old 02-03-10, 03:04 PM
frohboy33
Driver

Try some Auto-Rx. Some people don't agree, but do your own research and decide yourself. I did a treatment and noticed some good results. I've seen alot worse in pictures compared to yours.
Old 02-06-10, 04:29 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by frohboy33
Try some Auto-Rx. Some people don't agree, but do your own research and decide yourself. I did a treatment and noticed some good results. I've seen alot worse in pictures compared to yours.
Do you have to take apart the motor to do that?

I did the whole seafoam thing, purely because i saw it on the shelf at the store as i was leaving, the car runs fine so it probably didn't need it. Maybe i should just play some 'ignorance is bliss' in this case?

However i can see it being good since it will clean it up, so maybe regain a couple of ponies, but actually improve gas mileage...
Old 02-06-10, 05:16 PM
buci
Driver

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
Do you have to take apart the motor to do that?

I did the whole seafoam thing, purely because i saw it on the shelf at the store as i was leaving, the car runs fine so it probably didn't need it. Maybe i should just play some 'ignorance is bliss' in this case?

However i can see it being good since it will clean it up, so maybe regain a couple of ponies, but actually improve gas mileage...
Auto-rx or other oil treatments are pure Scam, nothing more-nothing less. Do not add anything in the oil or you going to screw your engine up. Car manufactures recommend fuel additives but oil additives will void your warranty.
It's a long story to explain in words,there you go look at this http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm
Old 02-06-10, 07:58 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Auto-rx or other oil treatments are pure Scam, nothing more-nothing less. Do not add anything in the oil or you going to screw your engine up. Car manufactures recommend fuel additives but oil additives will void your warranty.
It's a long story to explain in words,there you go look at this http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm
Yeah i have seen that link countless times, and i haven't ever touched additives as i know they are a scam in the end. I personally believe the same regarding synthetic oils...

Anyways, this car is never going to see additives, it will see traditional dino oil in the motor, and transmission, alongside 87 octane fuel!

Damnit, i was hoping to get a clear cut statement, instead of having to read countless threads on the internets.

Fawk it then. What is best to control **** like this/prevent it, since i have no patience for this kind of stuff!
Old 02-07-10, 01:11 PM
frohboy33
Driver

As suspected.
Old 03-07-10, 01:23 AM
davidber
Driver School Candidate

Hello.

Instead of creating a new thread, I thought I would tag along on this one and use his photos.

I have a 2000 ES300 that is leaking oil. This car has about 102k miles on it. It has had an interesting history. It was driven a lot the first few years, then in 2006-2008 it had about 2k miles put on it per year, and now it is back to about 10k a year.

My wife said, that the oil light came on, she checked the stick and saw it was low. So I put some oil in and watched it come out almost immediately.

The reason why I am bumping this thread is the picture on the first page, right by the gear threading on the right, and near the screw is where it seems to be coming out.

When I took off the oil cap, I did notice it looked sludgy in there. This car has probably had 10-15 oil changes in its life. So the maintenance has not been perfect. It has had no other issues than 2 coil packs going on it. The coil packs were replaced by a shop and the last one was about a 15 months ago and they didn't mention anything about an oil issue.

So my questions are . . .

What am I looking at as a possibility here? I am somewhat mechanically declined, and do much better with keyboards than wrenches

I did not know these forums existed and it looks like there are a LOT of knowledge people who are cool and not ripping up the newbies too bad
Old 03-30-13, 02:59 PM
Planeguy
Driver School Candidate

Default 2000 ES300 Valve Cover Replacement

Hey guys, just did the front valve cover replacement on my 2000 ES300 and thought I would share a few pictures to help. The hardest part to me was getting the old spark plug tube seals out, and one of the earlier posters had said he gave up on them. Now I can see why. There is a metal band inside the seals that makes them much less flexible than you'd think and nearly impossible to pry out without damaging the aluminum valve cover. The rubber on my seals was old and shattered when trying to pull them out, leaving the outermost piece with the metal band (pic #2) still inside the valve cover. You'll see in the second picture I got them out with a screwdriver and a hammer by carefully hammering the metal band toward the inside of the hole. When you flip it over, there is a metal ledge showing inside the spark plug hole (pic #3). This is the direction the seals come out, so if you put your screwdriver on the ledge and give it a whack with a hammer they come right out.

Other than that it went quickly. The car just turned 127,000 miles and has always run Mobil 1. My dad and I did the job in a couple of hours, but we took our time and it would go much faster next time. We also didn't have the right tools to pull those seals, but the steps I described above worked well. We were both surprised how clean the inside looked for its age, the varnish wasn't that dark and we saw no signs of sludge. Needless to say Mobil 1 makes a great product and I'll be keeping it in my cars.

And now for the rear valve cover gasket.....yikes.
Attached Thumbnails 01 Es300 Valve Cover Removal for Sludge inspection-20130330_102717.jpg   01 Es300 Valve Cover Removal for Sludge inspection-20130330_112343.jpg   01 Es300 Valve Cover Removal for Sludge inspection-20130330_112408.jpg  

Quick Reply: 01 Es300 Valve Cover Removal for Sludge inspection