ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

need help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-09, 05:11 PM
dario
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default need help!!!!!

I have 2002 Lexus ES300 42K miles since today there is a small high pitch noise when I accelerate kind of like turbo whooshing noise. Even when I put car in neutral/park and rev the engine you hear it inside cabin and it is louder as RPM's go up. When I am outside I cannot detect the sound only when I am inside cabin. Anyone???? thank you. Car drives normal othervise. No noise when the car just idles.
Old 11-23-09, 05:37 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the stereo off? Turn off all accessories and listen for the noise. If you cannot hear it outside, that elimates a lot of things. Do you have a aftermarket stereo system? Head unit, amps or any other mods along that line?
Old 11-23-09, 06:08 PM
dario
Pole Position

I turned off climate control and radio just now and noise is still there. YES JUST ON SATURDAY PROFESSIONAL SHOP INSTALLED PIONEER navigation unit does that have something to do with it. After they installed it I believe I did not hear any noise just today I think it started but I might be wrong.
Old 11-23-09, 06:22 PM
Sammm
Rookie

If the noise is coming out of your speakers, then it's the head unit. Take it back to the shop and get them to fix.
Old 11-23-09, 06:27 PM
dario
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sammm
If the noise is coming out of your speakers, then it's the head unit. Take it back to the shop and get them to fix.

I think is coming from the engine not the speakers but will look again.
Old 11-23-09, 06:33 PM
guitarmike
Rookie

lexus/toyota vehicles are notorious for alternator noise coming through the stereo. It would be very helpful to knwo if the noise was there with the stereo off or not. Also would be helpful to raise the hood while the car is running and see if you can hear the noise there.
Old 11-23-09, 06:48 PM
dario
Pole Position

Originally Posted by guitarmike
lexus/toyota vehicles are notorious for alternator noise coming through the stereo. It would be very helpful to knwo if the noise was there with the stereo off or not. Also would be helpful to raise the hood while the car is running and see if you can hear the noise there.
Well I used to have this pioneer unit in my Lincoln before and there was no problem. I can turn off unit but there is still screen on (navigation) just no more sound. The sound may be there under the hood but when the car is running there is too much noise under there that it maybe eliminates that small pitching sound.
Old 11-23-09, 06:57 PM
dario
Pole Position

pic of install hope i do not have to remove it
Attached Thumbnails need help!!!!!-022.jpg  
Old 11-23-09, 07:03 PM
dario
Pole Position

another pic
Attached Thumbnails need help!!!!!-021.jpg  
Old 11-23-09, 07:21 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

You could try removing the alternator drive belt and running the engine with the stereo off, and then on. Alternator noise will vary, increasing in pitch with a increase in rpm. It will not hurt the engine to run it a few min with the belt removed ( this is because the water pump is driven by the timming belt). Once you have determined if it is alternator noise, I would take it back to the people that installed the stereo. They should have appropriate filters that they can install to remove the noise.
Old 11-23-09, 07:35 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You mean Blow Off Valve noise? Turbo noise is just "sssssssssssss" almost like air leaking and isn't high pitched. Also, when you turn on the stereo, is it louder?
Old 11-23-09, 08:01 PM
dario
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 3000
You mean Blow Off Valve noise? Turbo noise is just "sssssssssssss" almost like air leaking and isn't high pitched. Also, when you turn on the stereo, is it louder?
No the noise is the same whether the radio is on or off. Well I got turbo diesel turbocharged VW and kind reminds of that noise.
Old 11-23-09, 08:04 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, ok yea that noise. I heard it before... sounds like it might be a valve problem (if it sounds like a diesel). I'm not sure though. But it could be other things like vibration noises as stated by the above posts.
Old 11-23-09, 11:41 PM
sbristow84
Driver

I have the same problem and thought is was my wheel bearing! Untill I was at my daughters school today and reved the engine and it make that noise. I haven't figured out what it is!
Old 11-25-09, 12:11 PM
dario
Pole Position

Well I had mechanic check the car and he told me it is NORMAL it is sucking air thru intake and it happen over 3K RPM's so I guess live with it.

Quick Reply: need help!!!!!