ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

3rd gen suspension

Old 08-01-09, 05:56 PM
kaldES98
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3rd gen suspension

So I am about to order new springs, struts and strut mounts from ajusa.com, and they only sell vogtland springs which have a 1.6 inch drop. My question is if i get those springs will there be any other parts i need to make everything work out with my 17s and camber and what not. Are there any other parts I need to buy to make things fit? Please let me know if I am missing something.

Thanks guys!
-jon
Old 08-02-09, 06:44 PM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kaldES98
So I am about to order new springs, struts and strut mounts from ajusa.com, and they only sell vogtland springs which have a 1.6 inch drop. My question is if i get those springs will there be any other parts i need to make everything work out with my 17s and camber and what not. Are there any other parts I need to buy to make things fit? Please let me know if I am missing something.

Thanks guys!
-jon
don't have to worry about camber on this car as there is little to none when you drop it with springs. are you getting aftermarket shocks? other than that, i think you're set to go. IMO though, you should just get coilovers and call it a day. good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old 08-02-09, 08:10 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by PlatES300
don't have to worry about camber on this car as there is little to none when you drop it with springs. are you getting aftermarket shocks? other than that, i think you're set to go. IMO though, you should just get coilovers and call it a day. good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Coils would be nice, i am 'on the fence' about the same question. All i want is a 1" drop all around [yes, i know baby drop].

But coils = adjustable, however not friendly with the winter climates [i have been reading up upon it] More $$

Springs = not adjustable/affixed, just like any spring it can withstand the climate. Less $$

Well see about the drop in my case, depends on the springs too.
Old 08-02-09, 09:22 PM
kaldES98
Lead Lap

coilovers just don't really fit the style i'm looking for. I am getting KYB gr2 struts with the springs. I'm just wondering if struts, strut mounts, and those springs are the only things that should be in the shopping cart. I want to have it all ordered at once.
Old 08-02-09, 09:52 PM
Ariyanna
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please make sure you buy OEM Lexus/toyota strut mounts anything else KYB, Gabrial or whatever will make noise after installation. Trust me I know from experience buy OEM but just the strut mounts.

get them here to save the most on OEM strut mounts
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=214082
Old 08-02-09, 10:27 PM
kaldES98
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ariyanna
Please make sure you buy OEM Lexus/toyota strut mounts anything else KYB, Gabrial or whatever will make noise after installation. Trust me I know from experience buy OEM but just the strut mounts.

I'll look into that.. but anyone else want to reassure me that i will be fine with a 1.6 inch drop and will not need any type of correctional stuff? Trying to get as much info as i can before i go through with this
Old 08-02-09, 11:05 PM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

^ 1.6 inches should be fine. I know a few Solara/Camry guys at 1.6 and none have done anythign but a normal alignment. Don;t worry.
Old 08-03-09, 04:34 AM
abobiznow
Pole Position

man, i'm glad i read this. last thing i have to get for my suspension is the strut mounts. i was going to go kyb. so, i would have to buy each mount individually?

Last edited by abobiznow; 08-03-09 at 04:43 AM.
Old 08-03-09, 08:08 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Lightbulb

^^^+++1!
Originally Posted by abobiznow
man, i'm glad i read this. last thing i have to get for my suspension is the strut mounts. i was going to go kyb. so, i would have to buy each mount individually?
You buy the fronts and the rears. Your might also pick up some replacement dust boots if yours are old and worn. I got all mine from Luis at Carson Toyota discounted and problem-free when I went with my KYB GR-2s and H&R springs. Support those handy dandy CL supporting vendors!
Old 08-03-09, 09:16 AM
kaldES98
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ASG14
^ 1.6 inches should be fine. I know a few Solara/Camry guys at 1.6 and none have done anythign but a normal alignment. Don;t worry.
Thanks that's all I needed.

and i think i'm going to go with the oem strut mounts.. i was kind of hoping i could have all the parts from the same place but i guess i'll go elsewhere for the mounts. Do they special order them for me if i go to a toyota dealership? might go ahead and get a solara strut tower brace while i'm already over there
Old 08-03-09, 09:54 AM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

Get the Lexus part number, and then you can order them at the Toyota dealer. I'd think the ES and Camry/Solara share the exact same mounts that year.

But your best bet is to order them online. But one thing I learned with the Online Toyota discount parts is they charge more if you say "Lexus". So, ge tthe OEM part number, put in the put number on the website for the parts, and choose "Toyota". All the discount OEM websites seem to be about 10% less that way, and it;s the same part, off the same assembly line.
Old 08-03-09, 11:58 AM
Ariyanna
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im telling you kaldES98 you are not going to find the parts cheaper if you go a toyota OEM parts website, this lexus OEM parts website I gave you is cheaper than any other toyota or lexus website on the net.
Old 08-03-09, 05:14 PM
abobiznow
Pole Position

man, oem strut mounts are expensive!!
Old 08-03-09, 05:38 PM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

^ HAHA! That they are. I just ordered KYB mounts for my dad's Camry. Even my employee discount price at the dealer can't touch that price.

Than you need to buy the bearings seperately with the OEM mounts.
Old 08-03-09, 06:00 PM
abobiznow
Pole Position

man, every time i think i'm coming close to having all the required parts for successfully lowering my suspension, i find somethiing else and i always have to wait for my next big (not so big) pay check.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3rd gen suspension