ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

yet another secret weapon intake post

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-09, 11:50 AM
kaldES98
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default yet another secret weapon intake post

I have been searching on here all over but I can't seem to find a sound clip for the secret weapon intake for a 3rd gen es300. I am trying to add a little bit of noise but not rice just not stock to my es and i'm thinking of buying the secret weapon SRI. I don't mind the price for just noise. Anyone want to gimme a review for the 3rd gen es300?
Old 07-14-09, 01:32 PM
HYPERBOY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i made mine and it was less then a replacement filter sound really nice.. but i dont have a sound clipp but trust me its a nice sound but! im not sure about any gains.
Old 07-14-09, 02:19 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kaldES98
I have been searching on here all over but I can't seem to find a sound clip for the secret weapon intake for a 3rd gen es300. I am trying to add a little bit of noise but not rice just not stock to my es and i'm thinking of buying the secret weapon SRI. I don't mind the price for just noise. Anyone want to gimme a review for the 3rd gen es300?
I have the Weapon-R intake system for my 1998 Lexus ES 300. It was a very easy install, took me about 20 minutes to install. The only issue I came across was one of the three air lines did not fit onto the the chrome tube. The chrome intake tube comes with three nipple tubes that the supplied hoses connect to. One of these tubes is small diameter, maybe an 1/8thof inch and the nipple tube on the Weapon-R intake is about 1/4 th inch diameter. I basically had to rig up a connection between the two different diameter hoses. Other than that it was an easy install. I did notice that the intake is slightly louder than the stock intake. You basically can hear the air being sucked into the intake manifold, especially when you rev up the engine while in park. As far as exhaust noise, I have a Magna Flow exhaust and it's got a deep quiet throaty sound. Overall, I'm pleased with the way it sounds and runs. I have noticed a change in throttle response and better gas mileage. To me it's got some pep to it across the powerband. I hope this helps.
Old 07-14-09, 09:01 PM
kaldES98
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by angmedic91
I have the Weapon-R intake system for my 1998 Lexus ES 300. It was a very easy install, took me about 20 minutes to install. The only issue I came across was one of the three air lines did not fit onto the the chrome tube. The chrome intake tube comes with three nipple tubes that the supplied hoses connect to. One of these tubes is small diameter, maybe an 1/8thof inch and the nipple tube on the Weapon-R intake is about 1/4 th inch diameter. I basically had to rig up a connection between the two different diameter hoses. Other than that it was an easy install. I did notice that the intake is slightly louder than the stock intake. You basically can hear the air being sucked into the intake manifold, especially when you rev up the engine while in park. As far as exhaust noise, I have a Magna Flow exhaust and it's got a deep quiet throaty sound. Overall, I'm pleased with the way it sounds and runs. I have noticed a change in throttle response and better gas mileage. To me it's got some pep to it across the powerband. I hope this helps.
This is actually a great review.. how exactly did you do that connection between the tubes? and how much was that magnaflow exhaust? was it the whole system or just the muff?
Old 07-15-09, 10:04 AM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

This is actually a great review.. how exactly did you do that connection between the tubes? and how much was that magnaflow exhaust? was it the whole system or just the muff?
This might sound cheap, but the smaller hose actually fit in the larger hose and I use some tubular shrink wrap to bind the two together and finished if off with some black electrical tape. The exhaust was a standard universal Magna Flow exhaust that was welded onto the existing bolt on coupler near the rear passenger axle. I had it done this way because I was planning to leave the reasonator in place just in case the new muffler was too loud. But once the muffler was welded on, they started it up and you could barely hear a throaty sound, so I had them wack off the resonator and replace it with a straight pipe. Then started it up and now you could hear the throaty sound, its not loud at all, just throaty. The muffler and labor was about two hundred bills. Everything in Cali is pricey. Today, I'm taking in my car to have an all chrome 8 inch diameter x 14 inch in length muffler with a 3 inch diameter opening tip by Magna Flow. I was told this muffler being a straight thru muffler will in increase the loudness and throatiness a bit vs the existing muffler which enter muffler on one side and exits on a different side, basically not a straight thru, it curves inside the muffler. I want my car to sound like its got some power under the hood. Hope this helps............
Old 07-15-09, 12:21 PM
kaldES98
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by angmedic91
This might sound cheap, but the smaller hose actually fit in the larger hose and I use some tubular shrink wrap to bind the two together and finished if off with some black electrical tape. The exhaust was a standard universal Magna Flow exhaust that was welded onto the existing bolt on coupler near the rear passenger axle. I had it done this way because I was planning to leave the reasonator in place just in case the new muffler was too loud. But once the muffler was welded on, they started it up and you could barely hear a throaty sound, so I had them wack off the resonator and replace it with a straight pipe. Then started it up and now you could hear the throaty sound, its not loud at all, just throaty. The muffler and labor was about two hundred bills. Everything in Cali is pricey. Today, I'm taking in my car to have an all chrome 8 inch diameter x 14 inch in length muffler with a 3 inch diameter opening tip by Magna Flow. I was told this muffler being a straight thru muffler will in increase the loudness and throatiness a bit vs the existing muffler which enter muffler on one side and exits on a different side, basically not a straight thru, it curves inside the muffler. I want my car to sound like its got some power under the hood. Hope this helps............
That is pretty cool. Gotta sound clip?
Old 07-15-09, 12:34 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry no sound clip. After work today I'm getting my new exhaust put on. As far as sound clip, I'm a bit clueless on how to do that. I don't have a video camera, otherwise I would make a short video recording and post it to youtube. Sorry..................
Old 07-15-09, 01:14 PM
kaldES98
Lead Lap

np thanks for the help anyway! i have ordered the intake and i am excited to hear how it sounds on my es.
Old 07-15-09, 03:09 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

np thanks for the help anyway! i have ordered the intake and i am excited to hear how it sounds on my es.
Your welcome, I'm a new owner of a Lexus, just learning about Lexus and here to help in anyway I can. Good Luck on your intake, I hope you like it and it meets your expectations................
Old 07-15-09, 06:59 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Update on the exhaust. Just got back from getting a different exhaust put on my 98 Lexus ES 300. I put on an all chrome tubular Magna Flow exhaust with tip. MSRP for the muffler is 251.00, but got it for around 200.00. It looks much better that the universal Magna Flow exhaust and surprising it's a bit quieter, but still throaty. The exhaust is a straight thru, 7 inch diameter and 14 inches long, not including the chrome tip. Posted below is a pic of the muffler from Magnaflow.com I also noticed more pep to it on exceleration, maybe due to less back pressure, being a straight thru exhaust.........
Attached Images  
Old 11-11-10, 08:57 PM
Mike37
Driver School Candidate

I just ordered my weapon r. Do you have any advice? Did you have any MAF problems or have to reset the ECU?
Old 11-12-10, 03:06 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mike37
I just ordered my weapon r. Do you have any advice? Did you have any MAF problems or have to reset the ECU?
My advice would be to use the filter that comes with the intake, do not swap over to a wet type filter, will screw with you MAF sensor. You still may have issues with the MAF on occasion, based on research on this forum the 1MZ-FE is sort of tempermental when it comes to, too much intake airflow. It may trip the CEL. I had this issue recently after swapping over to a K&N filter, it was setting of my CEL and giving me a P0171, I cleaned the sensor multiple times and it work for awhile then CEL again, finally I just bought a new MAF sensor and got rid of the K&N filter and went back to the dry foam filter that came with the intake system. I always reset the ECU when I do any adjustment or replacement of parts to the engine. I like the computer to relearn any changes I did. Good Luck bro.
Old 11-13-10, 09:27 AM
dcapo
Driver

heres a sample video (not mine) search sw es300
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQvRe...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1daj-F7Jp6s
Old 11-13-10, 02:32 PM
BoostedE21
Pole Position

unclip the top of the air intake, right above the filter (as if you were going to change your filter out. pull it up so it doesn't sit back on the filter (sucking in engine-bay air) and go for a quick ride around the block. That's about what your secret weapon intake will like - perhaps slightly louder. The ES actually has a quite nice induction noise.

BTW, sucking in "dirty" air for a few minutes isn't going to hurt your engine, unless you live in a sand storm.
Old 03-25-12, 04:59 PM
hermzxd45
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mike37
I just put in mine. Right now its laggy the intake is throwing my idle off. I don't know what's up. No kind of acceleration. There's too much air going in. Do any of you guys have any suggestions?

Quick Reply: yet another secret weapon intake post