ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

ES300 Subwoofer...

Old 08-04-11, 06:53 PM
R1R
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GoodRevs
Ok So I read through this thread and I still can't figure out what sub works in 97-01 ES's with Pioneer sound systems. I've installed a Pioneer nav unit with alot of add-on's but I've always thought the sub sounded weak. I don't want a box in the trunk, I just want to straight up replace the stock sub with something that gives more bang without frying anything in my car.
Yup, I want to know about this too. I had no idea I could replace the 8 inch sub in the back with an aftermarket unit.

Anyone with a Pioneer who has replaced it, please let us know.
Old 08-08-11, 07:45 AM
jskwik
Rookie

put another amp with a super 8 inch....or f*** it cut the back to a 10 inch....im going to run new wires and install another amp..ill leave the factory for the door speakers!!!!
Old 08-08-11, 07:57 AM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Knowing that the factory amp is wimpy, why not replace the 8" sub with the 8" sub of your choice, even if it requires alot of power. Get an aftermarket amp suitable for the sub you have, use the factory output into the high level input on the amp. That way you get a very high quality 8" sub that will keep the stock appearance, doesn't run the risk of burning up your factory amp, and is minimally intrusive in the trunk (sub likely to be deeper with a much larger basket and magnet and a minimal amount for the amp).
Old 08-31-11, 03:54 PM
leemur7
Driver School Candidate

whats the wattage of the amp already installed?
Old 08-31-11, 04:26 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by leemur7
whats the wattage of the amp already installed?
If you have the Pioneer system it's 20 watts, if it's the Nakamichi (sell it to me!!) then it's 35 watts. If you replace the sub and the minimum recommended power is over this amount you will fry the amp.
Old 08-31-11, 08:58 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by mdbrown
Knowing that the factory amp is wimpy, why not replace the 8" sub with the 8" sub of your choice, even if it requires alot of power. Get an aftermarket amp suitable for the sub you have, use the factory output into the high level input on the amp. That way you get a very high quality 8" sub that will keep the stock appearance, doesn't run the risk of burning up your factory amp, and is minimally intrusive in the trunk (sub likely to be deeper with a much larger basket and magnet and a minimal amount for the amp).
interesting... i like the sound of that, i'll try and source a new sub & amp combo. I like the oem look of the radio, but more bass would be ideal for me.

Will that work in theory? what you're saying? I know nothing about car audio...
Old 09-01-11, 06:41 AM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
interesting... i like the sound of that, i'll try and source a new sub & amp combo. I like the oem look of the radio, but more bass would be ideal for me.

Will that work in theory? what you're saying? I know nothing about car audio...
It's a clean install since you'll use the wires currently hooked to the factory sub as inputs to the new amp. The only pain will be running power and a 12v trigger to the new amp. Otherwise it will work perfectly, the one issue being tuning it to the proper level as it will be much more powerful than the stock unit. I'd recommend a good mono amp with a remote level control so you can tune the sub for what you are listening to.
Old 07-26-14, 02:21 AM
dds27
Driver School Candidate

do I really need an amp for a kicker subwoofer or will the Lexus power it enough?
Old 07-26-14, 10:11 AM
seyelabrev
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dds27
do I really need an amp for a kicker subwoofer or will the Lexus power it enough?
Your answer was stated in the previous posts..

If you want to use your subwoofer to its full potential, get an aftermarket amp.
Old 08-04-14, 08:06 AM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dds27
Did you get a 2ohm model? (stock sub is 2ohms) If so no harm in giving it a try especially if you have the Nakamichi it is a pretty stout amp. If it is not enough for you then do the aftermarket amp. If you bought a 4ohm sub you could still try but it will reduce the overall wattage as the amp is designed for the 2ohm stock sub, the experience will likely not be good. But nothing wrong with trying it since it is part of the steps you need to do anyways to get to an aftermarket amp. Make sure to share your experience if you do this!
Old 02-16-16, 04:40 PM
Sheelbay
Driver School Candidate

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_21933_Kicker-C84-10C84.html

Would this be okay to replace my subwoofer 8" with? Just blew it and sounds horrible I need help finding the right subwoofer!
Old 02-16-16, 05:11 PM
CF01
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sheelbay
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_21933_Kicker-C84-10C84.html

Would this be okay to replace my subwoofer 8" with? Just blew it and sounds horrible I need help finding the right subwoofer!
I'd look into getting it repaired. The most common thing on these is that the foam becomes disconnected as it deteriorates over time. There are speaker repair kits available or you can send/bring it into a speaker repair shop. My Mark Levinson sub was buzzing bad. I pulled it out and brought it into a speaker repair shop. They refoamed it and added some extra glue to the dust cap for only $40. Sounds great now.
Old 02-17-16, 09:15 AM
OceanView
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm on the fence about tearing into the stock system. One of my issues is that the old head unit doesn't have any modern tech like Bluetooth streaming or even the ability to play MP3's. I know I can get a aftermarket head unit but then it makes the center area look like crap. I prefer the stock look. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions on expanding the capabilities of the stock head unit?
Old 02-17-16, 10:46 AM
CF01
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OceanView
I'm on the fence about tearing into the stock system. One of my issues is that the old head unit doesn't have any modern tech like Bluetooth streaming or even the ability to play MP3's. I know I can get a aftermarket head unit but then it makes the center area look like crap. I prefer the stock look. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions on expanding the capabilities of the stock head unit?
Grom, Vaistech and others have solutions that connect to the stock system to provide those types of features. Not tried any myself, but have been considering one.
Old 02-17-16, 10:52 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

^ not on something like these old cars... and if it would, it would be an AUX for a gen. 2 i-device to the tune of 350$

There's nothing wrong with aftermarket, do the research to see which dash kit looks/fits best. Problem solved.

I used to think that, and I ended up with aftermarket anyways. OEM+ is nice, in newer vehicles with higher trim items that are easily swapped. The ES had Pioneer & nakamichi, both looked the same.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ES300 Subwoofer...