ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Front brake pad replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-09, 08:06 AM
lex330
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front brake pad replacement

Front wheels of my lexus ES330 have started to make a squeeky sound. And I am due for a brake pad change.

Question I have is - Should I go through lexus dealership or can cheaper solution work too? Meaning some local shop that doesnt charge as much.
Old 06-13-09, 08:22 AM
zajac
Driver

My suggestion, do it yourself. Brakes take 20 min to change. You can find a good set of pads at your local napa, carquest, heck even the ones I bought from Autozone are good and dust free. They were the gold for like $40. GL
Old 06-13-09, 08:23 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

1. Once you've changed brake pads yourself, you'll never be able to justify paying someone else that much for so little effort again. DIY Thread here. You'll do it the first time, and the first side might take a while, the 2nd side will take half that time (or less), and you'll never go back.
  2. If you rate yourself a 100% wrench-fail, find an independent Lexus/Toyota repair shop
  3. A reputable independent service shop (e.g. Christain Brothers Automotive gets raves around here)
  4. Toyota Dealership
  5. Lexus Dealership (if there are absolutely no other options)
Old 06-13-09, 09:53 AM
Maxx941
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah guess it depends on your ability, but its pretty simple procedure to DIY
Old 06-13-09, 10:29 AM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where in NY are you? If your near Stamford, CT, I'll do it for $20 labor, including new Rotor's if you want. Doesn't take too much longer to chahge those too. And I'll do it to OEM Torque Specs as well.

It is pretty simple to do yourself if you have the tools though. I'm sure there are quick little DIY's on this forum.
Old 07-20-09, 01:14 PM
GadgetRick
Driver

Planning on doing the pads myself in the next couple of weeks. However, I was driving it (2005 ES330) yesterday--it's my wife's--and noticed the wobbling when braking moderately hard indicating (I believe) rotors which need to be turned or replaced. Are the Lexus rotors designed so they can be turned (my BMY rotors are not). If not, how much can I expect to pay for rotors for it? Are there aftermarket rotors which may be better/cheaper?

Thanks.
Old 07-20-09, 04:14 PM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GadgetRick
Planning on doing the pads myself in the next couple of weeks. However, I was driving it (2005 ES330) yesterday--it's my wife's--and noticed the wobbling when braking moderately hard indicating (I believe) rotors which need to be turned or replaced. Are the Lexus rotors designed so they can be turned (my BMY rotors are not). If not, how much can I expect to pay for rotors for it? Are there aftermarket rotors which may be better/cheaper?

Thanks.
How old are the rotors? You can have the rotors resurfaced if they aren't too worn down. If you plan on replacing them, just get oem brembo blanks. they're pretty cheap if you look around.
Old 07-20-09, 08:25 PM
MrGalione9
Rookie

yeah, as Plat said, i have the brembo blanks on Celeste, and Hawks HPS breaks... great combo, only thing i have to do now, is upgrade to the steel break lines [I was listening slowwwwwww] and then also get me some new calipers, and some new fog HID's then everything else will fall into place, but yeah, yesterday i followed the DIY from this site, and i also used the factory Service manual and it was a sinche... Only had a problem getting the lug nuts off [bro-in-law used impact gun], bought my own torque wrench, and i just love the way it pop's back letting u know it's torqued all teh way, 76 ft.lbs man...

EASY
Old 07-20-09, 09:02 PM
Jewel707
Pole Position

im due for a brake change too. what are some good pads?
Old 07-21-09, 03:49 AM
GadgetRick
Driver

They have just under 70k on them so I'm assuming they need replacement. Cheap enough.

One other question I have, I always feel like the brakes just aren't big enough for the car...especially when loaded for a family trip. Have considered putting bigger brakes on. You think it's worth it?

Thanks for your advice!
Old 07-21-09, 01:35 PM
GadgetRick
Driver

Found this deal on the Bay for rotors and pads for less than $90.

-->clicky<--

I have no problem spending a little extra but I don't need high performance or good looks. It's my wife's car. I spend the money on extra stuff on my convertible.

What do you think of this set? There seems to be so many places I can get everything I figure I may as well look for a deal.
Old 07-22-09, 02:25 PM
Motil10108
Driver

Some very wise information from the members here. I have to agree, brake pads aren't all that difficult, i did my front pads for the first time and it doesn't take too much effort. Just follow some of the DIYs, take your time and it's all pretty straightforward.
I believe front pad service at Lexus was ~350(not exactly sure), but after doing it yourself you get a great sense of satisifaction.
BTW,1) make sure you push the caliper pistons back in with C-clamp and piece of wood while the cap for the master cylinder is off or you'll find it difficult to put the caliper back on the rotor.
2) get the grease/lubricant then clean and lube up all the specified parts and especially the caliper slide pins > you don't want these freezing up on you.

Best of luck
Old 07-23-09, 08:19 AM
ktranne
Rookie

I like my Hawk pads at PepBoys.
Old 07-23-09, 08:56 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by GadgetRick
Found this deal on the Bay for rotors and pads for less than $90.

-->clicky<--

I have no problem spending a little extra but I don't need high performance or good looks. It's my wife's car. I spend the money on extra stuff on my convertible.

What do you think of this set? There seems to be so many places I can get everything I figure I may as well look for a deal.
The guy's got 100% feedback too! Interesting.
Old 07-23-09, 09:31 AM
GadgetRick
Driver

Yeah, almost went with it but wound up going to Autozone. $118 (with tax) for rotors and ceramic pads which have gotten rave reviews from friends.

Going to tackle it this weekend. Wish me luck!

Quick Reply: Front brake pad replacement