ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

need some help and advice for 97 es300

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-09, 12:16 AM
ssibaroma
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some help and advice for 97 es300

Hi I am new to this forum and I have couple of questions.
Since I am not really a DIY person for lack of knowledge and experience. All I have tried on my car were oil change, break pads change and air filter change.

After seeing other users on the forum doing wonderful job on other more difficult DIY projects and Mods, I was inspired to try something new on my car.

well here are my questions and I really need your help and advice.

1) I was having trouble with downloading the pdf file of 'how to remove the stock stereo unit' on DIY page. Do you guys have alternative link for that file?

2) I was wondering if there is any Ipod adapter kit available where you could make it work with the stock stereo unit. Has anyone tried this? does it work well?

3) Can I keep the stock speakers and amp and just replace the stock stereo head unit with different head unit like kenwood or alpine? Which stereo head unit would you recommend? Do these come with builtin Navigations?
Old 03-02-09, 12:43 AM
swifty562
Lead Lap

1) unsure, search again.

2) yes, you can buy an adapter that splits the RCA wires into 2 seprate wires. thus having an extra input for your ipod adapter.

3)yes you can replace your unit, and the stock amp will work perfectly fine.
Old 03-02-09, 05:23 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by swifty562
3)yes you can replace your unit, and the stock amp will work perfectly fine.
Hang on I thought that the stock amp had to be bypassed? Or is the bypass only necessary when you want to use a different amp to power the sub?
Old 03-02-09, 10:26 AM
swifty562
Lead Lap

(as far as i know) the bypass is only necessary when you want to use a different amp to power the sub.

my Eclipse unit works perfectly fine with stock amp power pushing the 6x9.
Old 03-02-09, 07:49 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah would really like to clarify this. I suspected that you could use the harness from the new deck, plug into the car's existing harness and then utilise the normal speakers & sub / amp.

For some reason on some other threads it was written that a specific set of wires running to the amp needed to be cut off otherwise you got feedback. Hmmmm, if I can use the existing amp with the sub - fantastic!
Old 03-02-09, 10:06 PM
ssibaroma
Driver School Candidate

I have been reading previous posts or threads regarding whinning noise issues with stock amp so that issues has been solved i guess. You guys know what the solution is? Why is the stock headunit of 97 seems to give more hassle than other 3rd gen es300 such as 98,99,00 ? Is there other possible issues that I should be concerned about? I tried to download the the stock stereo headunit removal guide in pdf file format from DIY section but the page does not exist anymore. Does anyone happen to know working link? or actually have the file ?

Thanks so much for help guys