ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Paint Jobs

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-02, 02:12 PM
nosml
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Paint Jobs

Do you recommend complete car color changes, i.e.: Cashmere Beige to Black Onyx. What are some things I need to look for in a paint shop?
Old 03-04-02, 10:14 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i think the original lex colors are pretty plain, especially the older models...so if you MUST get a paint job, make sure you wont be bored with the color!! i think all ES's are two toned (that is, the bottom part color is diff't from rest), so maybe you can get another set of two tones ($$$$)
when looking for a paint shop, get a written estimate if possible, some before/after pics in color, make sure they clear coat the paint, and if possible, have them take out all the moldings (emblems, head/tail lights, antenna, etc) to get all the corners right. also, make sure they strip/sand away the old paint instead of just painting over, and have them do body work while they're at it if you need anything done. hope this helps
Old 03-05-02, 04:18 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Paint

Hey, that is the color of my car. And I wanted mine to be black as well. But I changed my mind when I saw the price tag of $3000. Do not get your car painted by Macco or any place where they just spray the paint on. You need to take it to a place that will make it so you can't tell that the car was repainted. THey will paint under the hood and in door jams. And the emblems will be in great condition. Do it, if they are going to do a job worth about $3000, otherwise, donot have your car sprayed. It can chip and peel off to reveal the car underneathe.
Old 03-05-02, 10:13 AM
ES300SD
Pole Position

If you want to paint your car a totally different color its always going to cost more b/c then you have to do all the door hinges etc.
Old 03-05-02, 12:26 PM
alvin
Rookie

One of my friends mom owns a paint shop, In canada a good
paint job on my Es will cost $4500.00 why, because....

first they have to take off everything, the bumbers, side molding,
head, rear lights, windshild,(and if it breaks a new one must be ordered). Also the inside door panals, door handles and all
plastic around the car. Now the sanding can start.

then it must be sanded, wipped dry primed, then sanded again
to fix missed spots, Primed then painted. This is where the Pro
come in. When painted the first time the car is sanded again to
removed any other problems, then painted sanded , and painted, painted painted about 6-8 times. over a few days.

when there is so much paint on it the paint self levels out and later on when scratches come they are easly fixed. clear coat after.

I saw a ML done a few week ago it had 7 coates of paint on
it, The Truck looked wicked. Perfect
Old 03-06-02, 04:36 PM
Lexpusher96
Driver

I hated the stock Lexus color on my ES for a while. Especially the two-toned "Taupe" color. When I decided to do custom bodywork and repaint my entire car, I was tempted to repaint it a totally different color, but I chickened out. I really didn't want to see that old doo doo looking taupe color start showing through when/if I got chips in the new paint. Anyway, I did, however, paint the whole car the shade that came stock on the top half of the car, instead of having the lighter shade on the bottom. I like it alot better now. I still think the car looks too plain and it really needs a body kit, but they're just not worth the money and I plan on getting rid of the car sooner or later.

IMO, if you have a reputable shop to do the work and you have the extra time and money to get the color change done properly, then don't be scared!

Last edited by Lexpusher96; 03-06-02 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-06-02, 04:47 PM
LexFather

Lexpusher, your car looks dope as it is. Honestly, it really looks good.
Old 03-23-02, 05:45 PM
qwalls
Rookie

Lexpusher - the car does look good. If you don't mind answering, roughly what did the paintjob run?
Old 03-24-02, 09:36 AM
Lexpusher96
Driver

It's really hard to say how much I paid for the paint job, because I had alot of other work included while it was in the shop. I don't even know myself what the breakdown was on it all. Oh, and thanks for the compliments. But a body kit layin on the pavement would look so much better!
Old 03-24-02, 05:29 PM
qwalls
Rookie

No problem. If anyone knows of a good bodyshop in Ohio, please post. My '99 LS400 has a lot of scratches and chips (bought it used for a good price) and I've been thinking about getting it painted all black instead of black over gray. I want a paint job that looks as good as factory.
Old 03-25-02, 12:54 PM
Captain Ratman
Pole Position

Thumbs up Mirrored Paint Job

Originally posted by qwalls
No problem. If anyone knows of a good bodyshop in Ohio, please post. My '99 LS400 has a lot of scratches and chips (bought it used for a good price) and I've been thinking about getting it painted all black instead of black over gray. I want a paint job that looks as good as factory.
Qwalls,

If you want the BEST than it will need to be MUCH SUPERIOR to factory. If you look closely at "factory" paint jobs, you will see what is called "orange peel". Orange peel paintjobs have a non-smooth "bumpy" kinda-look and are not the best ones. You want a paintjob that has had 5 times the preparation work time than the actual painting itself (block sanded is a MUST) so that when the paint is laid on it, it will have a mirror finish. Do the research and you will find that the prep work (sanding, dent removal, spot putty, more sanding....MORE SANDING) is the key to a truely "expert" paint job!!!! Generally, depending upon how much these paint shops do, will cost you around 4 - 8K or more for a decent paint job. Go to body/paint shops which have a HIGHLY recommended reputation with car enthusiasts rather than the factory.....trust me on this one!

Scott.
Old 03-25-02, 06:14 PM
qwalls
Rookie

Scott,

Thanks for the response. Maybe I should have said at least as good as factory. I figured it would cost me around $5000. I appreciate the information.

Quentin
Old 03-27-02, 10:34 AM
supwithyou
Driver School Candidate

I wouldnt talk so bad about Maaco. Everyone seems to talk bad about them until they see my paint job. My stock paint wuz lookin bad, so I decided to spend a cheap $400 at Maaco, and it came out great for the price. If you check out the pic i attached it looks really good and everyone who sees it cant believe maaco did it. They do take off all the old paint, and sand it down and take off the emblems. If you choose to change the color(which I didnt), it costs a little more, but they do paint the door jams, under the hood, under the trunk, etc. For the price honestly you cant beat it.

Lexpusher i got a question for you, Ive been thinking the same thing as you. You kno how tight the ES would look with a body kit touching the ground?? Damn it makes me mad that I cant get one anywhere. There are a few places that say they can custom fit an Accord body kit, but I wanted to see what you were talking about. You most likely have the same problem as me(chassis hits the ground, but the body doesnt!), and a body kit would make it look soo much lower. Let me kno what ur talking about. thx
Attached Thumbnails Paint Jobs-newrearangle.jpg  
Old 03-30-02, 07:10 PM
01VaporBlueRX
Pole Position

thats a pretty big wing u got there...
Old 03-31-02, 06:52 PM
sniper5
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

thats a pretty big wing u got there...
I think what he meant to say was: that pretty big wing makes your car look ridiculously stupid.

Quick Reply: Paint Jobs