ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Need help quieting down exhaust!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-08, 11:57 PM
diamondlex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help quieting down exhaust!!

So I recently got an inspection ticket for my exhaust on my 94 which isn't very loud at all. But the law in MD now says you can't modify exhaust to sound any louder than stock so I have to do something to get it to pass inspection. I'm on a college budget (broke) and dont have my stock system anymore. Right now I have 3 (or maybe 3.5) inch piping from the cat straight back to a magnaflow muffler. My cat is hollowed out so the air is flowing pretty good out of the exhaust. What is the cheapest thing I can do? Is there anything out there that I can just add on to quiet it enough?

If I put my friends stock Infinity g20 muffler on and leave the piping the same will it be quiet enough? This would be the cheapest option if it will work. Anybody out there tried something like this? Or will I have to change the piping size and muffler?
If I can't just swap the muffler or muffler and piping, where could I find a cheap used exhaust for my car? Thanks
Old 12-29-08, 06:07 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

DiamondLex, have a look into getting a couple of hotdogs for your system. I used to have an SC that was too loud for me and I had a couple of hotdogs installed which reduced the noise by about 50% and really reduced the noise out the back. They are inexpensive and go a long way to reducing the noise. If it still is too noisey, then another hotdog can be put on.
Old 12-29-08, 11:14 AM
diamondlex
Driver School Candidate

hmm thanks i wonder if that would quiet it enough... i don't have any resonators on it right now. I'm takin it up to a shop in an hour ill ask if that will do and keep ya posted
Old 12-29-08, 11:31 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I think your piping size is still okay, the problem appears to me that without a resonator between the cat and the muffler at the end, that's going to make a rather odd noise (I have done it myself with a glasspack) and I was setting off car alarms all over Mexico City when I lived down there.

Given the setup you have, I would think that it would have to be a resonator that would not have just a straight through pipe, maybe entering on one corner and exiting on the other diagonal corner. You have to let that free flowing exhaust vibrate somewhere to reduce the high notes.

On the other hand since you mention the G20, I was looking at one of the mufflers online and that appears to fit something of the description of what I was decribing, maybe something like this, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/91-to...Q5fAccessories to substitute for your existing muffler and keep the rest of the system as is.

That appears to be indirect and perhaps should do the job.
Old 12-29-08, 01:18 PM
diamondlex
Driver School Candidate

Yea I just talked to the service manager and he said for their inspection guy to sign my ticket the setup has to be similar to oem. So I do need a resonator and he was saying a resonator probably wont quiet it enough. He gave me a couple phone numbers for some local salvage yards where I should try to find the stock system from the cat back. I'm going to call tomorrow and see what they have. If not he said to find a resonator pipe somewhere maybe from autozone (which they charge 200 bucks for). Lexmex, I wonder if an angled resonator like you described would work... He also made it sound like they couldn't put a resonator on my 3" piping... I thought they could just put a downsizer on my pipingto connect it to a resonator??
Old 12-29-08, 02:38 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Yeah, they can put a downsizer. I've done that myself with the numerous exhaust setups I did in Mexico. It doesn't need to be a resonator per se, which is en essence a muffler. I have used many a muffler to do the job of a resonator. Angled resonator should work fine. I got one of my resonators, actually an APC muffler at a Pep Boys for under $100 USD. Even online, they have good prices.
Old 12-30-08, 01:36 PM
diamondlex
Driver School Candidate

ok so I found a decent looking resonator from flowmaster with a 3 inch offset inlet and outlet that I'm going to have installed inline. The guy said since my exhaust will then be "oem style" with a resonator on they will pass it Thanks guys. Heres the part: http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/pr...oducts_id=2299. Had my local aap order it so they could take care of shipping.