ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

97 es300 digital clock repair

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-08, 11:24 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 97 es300 digital clock repair

hello there, after about 2 weeks of searching for another clock with no luck, i stared at it a little more today only to find out that the contact patches had hairline cracks in them, and prying up on the chips, the chips just lifted, so that told me the solder had loosened up. well, i just heated up the soldering iron, and resoldered them back together, and what do you know, the clock works like new again.

my problem started with fading clock lights, until one day it was completely gone. the smacking issue was getting more aggravating, as i would have to smack it harder and harder, as time went on. i knew it wasnt a fuse issue since my cig lighter still worked.
i tried to find as much as possible, but no luck. one person said that they extended the tiny little springs on the backboard, but no luck for me.

below are the pics of the back of the board. sorry, i dont have my camera, and using my girls crappy crappy camera.

the chips that i had seen hairline cracks were the ones on the left, the 4big black chips. dont know their names, but i resoldered them

some more pics.

btw, i think this should be stickied. because a new clock from toyota will cost $220+. and this was a free fix. btw, if you are in that bad of luck, other digital clocks from(what ive seen pictures of and searched around): 2002+ prius, 2000+ echo, 90's tercel, and early 90's camry. once again, i didnt have any of the clocks to compare, but just by looking at them, im sure these will all work. and the toyota echo for sure will work, as it is cross referenced part numbers.
goodluck
Charley
Old 10-27-08, 07:30 AM
2000ES300
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hm,

Thats good to know cause my 2000 clock hasnt worked for the last year and I was quoted $300 CDN from the dealer.

What a joke
Old 10-27-08, 09:38 AM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the write-up. I wish we had better pictures to work with though. Would you mind re-doing it? If you activate the Macro mode on the camera (usually a flower), you'll be able to focus as close as you are to the PCB in those photos and get perfectly sharp photos.

If I have time for it this week, I'll do it myself on my 98 ES if you don't have time to re-take the pictures.

Thanks for your time and effort
Old 10-27-08, 10:13 AM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

omg, woogie is still here? i was just looking at the lcd screen post the other day, searching for the radio bulb sizes.
btw, this is for people who have to whack their clocks for them to light up. common sense says its a connection of some sort.
but yeah, ill try, but seriously, the camera is really a crappy camera. the repairs have been made already, the reason i even took pictures is so that i can give a very general idea of what people should be looking at if their clocks arent working. remember, the cracks are miniscule hairline cracks. youll probably have to use magnifying glasses, or if you think there is a crack in the solder, just use your finger nail and try to pull it up. if it does, then obviously the solder is cracked. also, note that i have a burned section in the front glass, i thought that this clock was toasted, but it wasnt. there is probably 1cm² of burn on the left side of the clock glass area.
ive already plugged the clock in, and it works fine, but i unplugged it so that i can redo the bulbs in my radio. by any chance, anyone know the size for the radio bulbs. contrary to what most believe, the bulbs are not led, rather mini incandescent bulbs with a green cover. ive heard someone say that it was a T1 bulb, but am still unsure of this myself.
anyone else
Charley

Last edited by charley240; 10-27-08 at 10:24 AM.