ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Changing the licence plate & parking light bulbs to LED...?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-09, 06:17 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Question Changing the licence plate & parking light bulbs to LED...?

I am thinking of changing my licence plate & driving light bulbs to LED's...both take the '194' bulbs (I want to change the trunk light too, but I don't think it takes this bulb?) which are the stock 5W replacements. Has anyone done this on their ES 330 & how difficult are they to change?

Any detailed instructions or 'how to' diagram's would be greatly appreciated...I just don't want to break anything via trial & error. Thanks.
Old 08-10-09, 06:55 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I put the 194's in my GS license plate and they look great... I don't see why they wouldn't fit. connections should be the same
Old 08-10-09, 09:23 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Its not hard. Seriously, if you able to count how many fingers you have, than you have sufficient competence to do this task!

The rear plate bulbs, with either be a clip or a screw [if anything refer to my thread for those similar instructions on the type of clip i am thinking].

The trunk light, a small flat head screw driver, pry gently/slowly until light cover is off. Proceed to remove bulb [it will be hot since the trunk will be open and it will be on!] Take it out, try and make out the characters on the bulb or if it is a festoon/fuse style, measure it and proceed to order off eBay [again look in my thread for GREAT sellers! with cheap pricing! ]

The only way to avoid catastrophic failure is to give yourself ample time, and care when taking things apart! In other words what i failed to do at a few points!

Good luck!
Old 08-11-09, 03:33 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Question

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
Its not hard. Seriously, if you able to count how many fingers you have, than you have sufficient competence to do this task!

The rear plate bulbs, with either be a clip or a screw [if anything refer to my thread for those similar instructions on the type of clip i am thinking].

The trunk light, a small flat head screw driver, pry gently/slowly until light cover is off. Proceed to remove bulb [it will be hot since the trunk will be open and it will be on!] Take it out, try and make out the characters on the bulb or if it is a festoon/fuse style, measure it and proceed to order off eBay [again look in my thread for GREAT sellers! with cheap pricing! ]

The only way to avoid catastrophic failure is to give yourself ample time, and care when taking things apart! In other words what i failed to do at a few points!

Good luck!
There are no exposed screws for the licence plate bulbs....like there are on your gen ES....I guess I am wondering do I need to pry off the chrome strip on the trunk lid to access the screws or do I remove things from the inside of the trunk lid? That chrome piece will be expensive to replace should it break....that is my main concern.

Anyone know about the procedure for the front 'parking' bulbs They are all under the one housing? I looked under the hood....I don't see a 'port' for getting to these bulbs.....the HID bulbs yes....not the parking light bulbs....the entire headlight housing is kind of in a tear drop shape that goes a fair distance up the fenders.

Owners manuals use to tell you & give you an illustration to help....now it just tells you to take it to the dealer.

Last edited by Lexusfreak; 08-11-09 at 03:46 AM.
Old 08-13-09, 03:22 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Anyone...?
Old 08-19-09, 05:22 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Red face

Bueller...?
Old 10-25-09, 12:36 PM
Darby'sLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Freak, did you ever find out how to replace the park/driving lights? I have some bulbs on the way but haven't found how to replace them yet.
Old 10-25-09, 10:39 PM
05ES330
Pole Position

its easy. you have to take off the inner carpeting on the trunk lid. trust me, its the easiest way. disconnect the emergecy trunk opener and remove the carpet. just pop off all those plastic clips. dont try to change the bulb unless you can get most of the carpet removed. you'll thank yourself later. darby, are you still interested in getting some wheels?
Old 10-26-09, 06:18 PM
Darby'sLex
Driver School Candidate

we spoke before about the axis grooves. i am looking for something but im in pa and the weather is going to suck these next couple months. i am not in a hurry, i want to find the right look. i really want to go staggered just worried about the rub. by the way i did my leds today(before i saw your reply) the tails were easy but the side markers were a pain. i am going to change out all interiors and exteriors eventually. i am looking for some clear side marker lenses but cant find crap. can you post a pic of your 330
Old 10-26-09, 06:53 PM
05ES330
Pole Position

clear side markers can be found on ebay. the oem amber ones look way better in my opinion. heres a link to some new pics i just took
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...005-es330.html
Old 09-26-12, 04:52 AM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Does anyone know how to change the parking light bulb?

I tried twisting and pulling but it won't come out. Its in a tight spot. Any tips?

Old 09-26-12, 07:58 AM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

those license LED are super easy..just pry open the round plastic clips. and pull it out . Once out you will be able to remove the bulb. And its a T10 type LED.
Post pics once you are done
Old 10-01-12, 07:20 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Finally able to twist out those parking lights. They were really stuck in their hard and on a bad angle. Changed them out for some bright white LED's.

Old 10-04-12, 10:30 PM
Lexingram
Driver School Candidate

what exact led bulb did you use? im thinking of doing this myself because i have new lights on the way and i can led them before i install the new headlights
Old 10-05-12, 06:00 AM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexingram
what exact led bulb did you use? im thinking of doing this myself because i have new lights on the way and i can led them before i install the new headlights
5050 194 wedge style LED's:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/20x-T10-5050-...item337bcf4e06

Quick Reply: Changing the licence plate & parking light bulbs to LED...?