ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Parking brake (ebrake) adjustment 97 es300

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-08, 07:38 PM
thewhits
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking brake (ebrake) adjustment 97 es300

Does anyone have the procedure to adjust the ebrake lever or cable so there isn't so much play in my emergency brake?
Thanks
Old 01-07-10, 08:29 AM
97'ES
Driver

I can't find this in the manual. year and a half later anyone have a definitive answer?
Old 01-07-10, 08:35 AM
mmlex1987
Intermediate

I believe the slack in the cable is related to the rear brake pads. I'm not sure on the 97, but on most rear disc brake vehicles, the emergency brake should be used routinely to keep the rear calipers free. That is if the emergency brake operates that way and does not have separate brake shoes that work inside the rotor.
Old 01-07-10, 08:43 AM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

parking brake.doc

Here's a picture of the setup you have, the parking brake is a rather conventional drum brake as you can see.
Old 01-07-10, 01:03 PM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I did this a few years ago so my memory isn't so clear.

Basically, the rear brake has both pads and shoes. You will have to remove the rear brake disc. You will have to adjust the inside brake shoes (not the pads) until they almost touch the brake drum.
Old 01-07-10, 04:53 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

You adj them until there is some drag, and then back off a few clicks.
Old 01-07-10, 08:41 PM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's like the Camry, and just a minor adjustment, you can do it at the e-brake handle itself (under the center console).
Old 01-07-10, 08:52 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what georgejet said. but if you want to hear my ranting:

asg, well on my es 300, you have to remove the center console to gain access, i dont know about the 2nd gen es 300 off hand

and after a long time you should adj the cable, 12 years is probably fair.

the rear shoes adjustment procedure is in the 1997 fsm that is on google

first you inspect the shoes and measure them and the rotor [inner diameter/drum portion] to make sure. then you adjust.
then you adjust the park brave lever / cable.

on the 5spd its real important since a lot of us dont like to leave it in gear while it's parked unless we absolutely have to [because of what happens if we forget its in gear when we start it and release the clutch].

on some weird cars in this world, the emergency[''hand'']brake actuates the front brakes. just thought i'd share that.
Old 01-07-10, 11:48 PM
97'ES
Driver

I was looking for an adjustment know under the console and found nothing, but it doesn't make sense being that it's a floor pedal. It must be the shoes. I use the e-brake every time i park the car, just force of habit from driving a 5-speed in my younger days. The e-brake just doesn't hold the car well anymore even all the way down.
Old 01-08-10, 04:46 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The adjustment is inside the drum area....not under the console. The ebrake operates in the very same way as brake drum. If I remember correctly, applying the ebrake pedal does NOT self adjust. There is NO self adjustment on the ebrake for 97 ES300.
Old 09-29-10, 06:11 PM
MikeLex
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BDSL
The adjustment is inside the drum area....not under the console. The ebrake operates in the very same way as brake drum. If I remember correctly, applying the ebrake pedal does NOT self adjust. There is NO self adjustment on the ebrake for 97 ES300.
Resurrecting this thread from the dead, the parking brake adjustment is inside them drum area AND under the console (if necessary).
Old 10-11-13, 04:50 PM
Lexus66
Driver School Candidate

Default adjust parking brake 1993 Lexus ES300

adjust parking brake 1993 Lexus ES300

Hey all! Well I very recently purchased my Lexus and so far it's been great. The center console eBrake handle seems to barely engage when pulled all the way up, so I would like to adjust it. After multiple searches, I have come to the conclusion that I will need to pull the wheel(s?) and adjust the "star" screw or whatever under (through) the rotor ... however, I am not certain if it just needs to be on one wheel or both? Logic tells me it would need to be done at both wheels, but I am not certain about this. Has anyone performed this job and have any input? I would greatly appreciate it!
I did an adjustment on a Camry several years ago and it was all done under the eBrake console area, so I am a bit confused

thanks

P.S. This forum is the best !!!
Old 10-11-13, 05:28 PM
PuReChaos
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe I found exactly what you need. As to having had any experience doing this myself, I've had none on a Lexus, however, I've done something similar to a Corolla and it was pretty much the same deal aside from the back brakes being just drum brakes opposed to disc/drum.

Old 10-12-13, 02:04 PM
Lexus66
Driver School Candidate

Priceless, with pictures and everything !!! Thank you very much PuReCHAOS! I will get started on it right away ... however, these instructions do not answer the question as to whether or not this adjustment needs to be done to both wheels or just one, I guess I will just attempt to adjust both of the wheels, if possible. I will start with the drivers side.

Last edited by Lexus66; 10-12-13 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-12-13, 02:24 PM
PuReChaos
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus66
Priceless, with pictures and everything !!! Thank you very much PuReCHAOS! I will get started on it right away ... however, these instructions do not answer the question as to whether or not this adjustment needs to be done to both wheels or just one, I guess I will just attempt to adjust both of the wheels, if possible. I will start with the drivers side.

Apologies, I forgot to answer that haha, when I did the corolla I did it to both wheels, but again thats a corolla with only drum brakes whereas this is a es300 with disc/drum brakes. Not sure if it'll be different however, logically I'd say it applies to both wheels.

Quick Reply: Parking brake (ebrake) adjustment 97 es300