ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Upgrading Brakes System, Oppions and Recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-08, 01:35 PM
Baybarea
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading Brakes System, Oppions and Recomendations

Below is a list of what I have in mind:

Goodridge G-Stop Brakline Kit (braided stainless steel) - Purchased
Brembo Cross Dirlled Rotors (front and rear) - Purchased
Brembo Sport or Hawk HPS Brake Pads - Undecided (suggestions on other brands)
Red Caliper Brake Cover Kit w/ Brembo Decals - Purchasing Soon
ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid, Type 200 Amber Brake Fluid, Sport. EVO 500 Brake Fluid (Undecided)

What would be a good brake pad to go with this setup? I was thinking of going with Hawk HPS or Brembo Sport. I was leaning towards Hawk HPS but was gonna go Brembo to keep everything Brembo look. The only things is, (researched from tirerack.com) on their website, they show brembo sport for the front and not for the rear. With the Hawk HPS brake pads it show front and rear. If I were to purchase two sets for the front of Brembo pads, would I be able to use one set for the rear?

Also, should I or do I need to change my brake fluid when I do all these upgrades? If so, what type of brake fluid do I need to get? What is a estimate price I would be looking at to get these parts installed?

Last edited by Baybarea; 08-29-08 at 09:10 AM. Reason: typo error & left out one question
Old 08-23-08, 11:59 AM
Baybarea
Driver

bump........................
Old 08-23-08, 03:15 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For my ES brake needs, it will be a matter of need and reason. The stock brakes are more than adequate for stopping the car; there's no upgrade short of FI that's going to outrun the capabilities of these brakes.
  • I'll be painting OEM calipers, adding the Lexus name via paint or decal (sealed-on with clear).
  • If I have to replace the rotors, Brembo blanks. Unless the car sees heavy track use, the benefits of slotting and drilling are nil. (Yeah, yeah, I know they look kewl. )
  • Hawk HPS pads are an excellent replacement
  • Improve the feel and performance of the brakes somewhat with Goodrich stainless lines.
The brake fluid should be flushed and replaced every two years, so go ahead and do that if you've not already. As far as any recommended fluid brand than Toyota's, I'm interested to see what other folks are using/recommend.

Old 08-29-08, 09:02 AM
Baybarea
Driver

Hey Slow thanks for your reply but what does, short of FI and slotting and drilling are nil mean?

I two, am curious what other folks are using/reccomend, cause ever since I got my new tires and coilovers put on it makes me wanna drive fast and take corners, probably which is why my brakes will be going out soon. I know are cars are not sports cars but luxury sedans but it would be nice to meet and even exeed OEM preformance.

I read somewhere, I think on these forums that ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid is good cause it makes bleeding brakes easier & brings the boiling point down. Also, it states it is compatible with and will mix well with MOST..... DOT3, DOT4, or DOT 5.1 fluids. I know our car takes DOT3, would this be okay for my car?
Old 08-30-08, 07:02 PM
ivory98es3
Driver

I just did all 4 corners on my 98' ES a couple months ago - went with Brembo blanks and Axxis metal master pads, flushed the old brake fluid and changed to stainless steel lines. I have put almost 6000 miles on them and they are now fantastic!! Remember that if you go with drilled/slotted rotors, they can't be turned (or not many places will do it) and those rotors are really made for track use w/ a track use pad (you have to get them HOT in order for them to work properly) just scootin' around town is not going to get them HOT enough and you will hear noise from applying the brakes. Stay with a blank, you will be better suited - just my $0.02 and from experience when I had my '94 Accord.
Old 08-30-08, 09:03 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

Originally Posted by ivory98es3
Remember that if you go with drilled/slotted rotors, they can't be turned (or not many places will do it) and those rotors are really made for track use w/ a track use pad (you have to get them HOT in order for them to work properly) just scootin' around town is not going to get them HOT enough and you will hear noise from applying the brakes. Stay with a blank, you will be better suited - just my $0.02
Exactly what I meant. Stainless lines will improve the feel of the brakes and the performance somewhat. Anything else is overkill (especially on the wallet). The only reason to upgrade them would be if the OEM ones weren't able to keep up with the power your modified or swapped engine is putting down. Or for show (nothing wrong with that - it's just expensive).
Old 09-02-08, 01:22 PM
paintrain
Lead Lap

jus bein devils advocate... but do u really need all that stopping power? my opinion would be so spend that money elsewhere. but as always its up to u and what u want so good luck any way u take it
Old 09-06-08, 01:18 PM
Baybarea
Driver

Just found this Brembo Brake fluid. Would this be okay to use on my car? http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brembo/evo500.jsp
Old 09-06-08, 05:26 PM
Maxx941
Lexus Test Driver

I have the hawks hps with brembo blanks now for about 6 months. Stops great and the Pads are AWESOME! I can go 2 weeks without washing the chrome wheels and they still shine. Performance is excellent even with spirited driving