ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Odd Problem/s - Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-08, 10:41 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Odd Problem/s - Need Help

About 5-6 weeks ago I had my front bumper cover removed to repair some minor damage (the front-end went over a high parking curb when parking the car and cracked the lower bumper cover and took some paint off). When I picked the car up from the shop after the repairs (they took the bumper cover off to repair it and then put it back on) I noticed that one of my fog lights was out. I also noticed that one of the backlighting LEDs in my instrument cluster was flashing on and off at a fast rate. And I also noticed that one of the LEDs for the rear licence plate lights was also flashing on and off at the same fast rate. And last but not least, I noticed that once the engine was fully warmed up, the idle RPMs would drop way below normal (about 100 RPM) when I came to a stop. All these things started immediately after the bumper repairs were done. Then about a week later, a second cluster backlighting LED started flashing on and off the same way as the first one did.
I took the car to the local toyota dealership to get the low idle diagnosed. They said it was an electrical issue with the IAC valve and replaced it. Unfortunately, the low idle problem persisted. So, I returned the car to the dealership again and they found a cracked air intake hose so they taped it up temporarily and they also cleaned the throttle body and told me to drive the car for a few days to see if it fixed the idling problem. If it did, they would order a new hose.
The low idle problem is still there. So, here's the question:

Could an electrical short circuit somewhere in the system (maybe in the front-end, like around the foglights?) cause all these symptoms, i.e. dead fog light, flashing cluster lights, flashing rear licence plate light, and low RPMs at idle?

It seems like too much of a coincidence to me that all these symptoms happened at the same time but aren't related...

Any ideas, suggestions, opinions would be really appreciated.

Last edited by Lexucan; 08-06-08 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-06-08, 10:47 AM
JSM1284
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Are the LED's from Superbrightleds.com? Mine from them started flashing after sometime.

The foglight could be a bad bulb, or they forgot to plug it back in.

The low idle problem wass probably only the broken intake hose, and they replaced the IAC valve for no reason...
Old 08-06-08, 11:02 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JSM1284
Are the LED's from Superbrightleds.com? Mine from them started flashing after sometime.

The foglight could be a bad bulb, or they forgot to plug it back in.

The low idle problem wass probably only the broken intake hose, and they replaced the IAC valve for no reason...
Thanks for the quick response!

One of the flashing LEDs (the licence plate light) I bought from Superbrightleds.com about 5 months ago, but I bought the instrument cluster LEDs from an Ebay seller about two and a half years ago and they have been working fine all that time...until four weeks ago when two of them suddenly started flashing.

I suspect the floglight is either dead, or they didn't plug it back in as you suggested, or, its wiring is the source of a potential short circuit.

And yes, on my second visit to the toyota dealership, they admitted that the IAC valve was probably not the cause of the idle issue. But they had said when they replaced it the week before, that the valve had an electrical issue. Maybe whatever is causing these problems is also affecting the replacement IAC valve so it is exhibiting the same behavior? I don't know. Very puzzling.