ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

K&N Filters

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-08, 05:33 PM
Kimbill
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N Filters

Do K&N air filters really improve mpg?

Bill
Old 06-11-08, 06:00 PM
1989Lexus
Lexus Test Driver

It did for me, Ive heard both ways from people but for me I def got a few more miles per gallon. I would def get the recharge kit for it. You can clean it and then re-oil it. I do mine every 5k miles.
Old 06-12-08, 09:33 AM
HYPERBOY
Lexus Test Driver

not worth it.. waste of money....

it is actually bad for ur maf, the oil kills it
Old 06-12-08, 12:05 PM
BadViper22
Lexus Test Driver

Any noticeable performance or mpg changes would be around <0.5% (And that goes both ways too). You'd be much better off with just replacing the paper filters when your service record tells you. Additionally, the k&n filters let more debris in your engine.
Old 06-12-08, 12:49 PM
1989Lexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HYPERBOY
not worth it.. waste of money....

it is actually bad for ur maf, the oil kills it
I(we) would like to see some proof, that its BAD for the MAF.
Old 06-12-08, 03:03 PM
HYPERBOY
Lexus Test Driver

phoenix did a whole write up.... it deff ruled me out of getting one...
Old 06-12-08, 03:54 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by 1989Lexus
I(we) would like to see some proof, that its BAD for the MAF.
Problem is the way the K&N panel filter is coated. When I used to use them in my RX300, which is a similar engine design to the one in the ES. I had this issue with the red diode on the MAF getting coated. I finally sprayed just a very light amount on the front of the filter facing the air flow and the problem was less. Then I wouldn't get the P0171 error.
Old 06-12-08, 07:07 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

had one in my 2002 ES and used it for two years and one in by Pontiac SSEi for four years before that. I cleaned and re-oiled them every 20,000 miles At first I thought they did increase mileage, but in both cases I switched back to the stock air filters and saw no change in mileage whatsoever.

The potential problem with the rechargable filters comes when you re-oil them. After cleaning the filter, I would spray the oil on both sides and then let it lay flat on paper towels over night to make sure all the excess drained off. If not, this would end up on the MAF sensor and cause more expensive problems.

The mileage improvement with these types of filters comes with close to wide open throttle for extended periods of time. I don't drive anywhere near that so my mileage improvement was marginal if any at all. The stock type filter is just easier and safer.

just my 2¢

steviej
Old 06-13-08, 08:00 AM
Infin1ty
Driver

This may just be me, but the idea of reusable air filter just freaks me out. Seems like with the problem that could be had, your better off just going with the standard Fram air filter.
Old 06-13-08, 08:26 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hot wire MAF will get oily buildup, and small particles also build up on there. best to quick clean those every time you pull the normal air filter, or more thoroughly spraying with a K&N installed, with rubbing alcohol spray mist, or those specific cleaners for it they sell at advance auto parts.

the filters make no difference to fuel economy. I will explain the big picture shorter version here: air filter paper is going to require larger throttle which in turns means less resistance, while k&n cotton require less throttle which means throttle plate is less which is more resistance.
only at virtually no relative manifold vacuum [near or full torque conditions] would you see any improvement.

the air filter paper are best for dust and sand. K&n is good at everything else about the same but less so at filtering that. Sand and dust cause major engine wear. Imagine one sand grain grinding up and down in your combustion chamber, messing it up, the rings, valves, etc. then , what if it gets past rings, into the oil. then it gets in the oil pump and wears it out. then, hope the filter catches it. oh wait, cold start , the filter is by-passes, so then the sand gets sent to the main bearings under 75 psi. then the main bearing gets scored.

I like paper air filter.
Old 06-13-08, 08:41 AM
1989Lexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by llcoolpass
hot wire MAF will get oily buildup, and small particles also build up on there. best to quick clean those every time you pull the normal air filter, or more thoroughly spraying with a K&N installed, with rubbing alcohol spray mist, or those specific cleaners for it they sell at advance auto parts.

the filters make no difference to fuel economy. I will explain the big picture shorter version here: air filter paper is going to require larger throttle which in turns means less resistance, while k&n cotton require less throttle which means throttle plate is less which is more resistance.
only at virtually no relative manifold vacuum [near or full torque conditions] would you see any improvement.

the air filter paper are best for dust and sand. K&n is good at everything else about the same but less so at filtering that. Sand and dust cause major engine wear. Imagine one sand grain grinding up and down in your combustion chamber, messing it up, the rings, valves, etc. then , what if it gets past rings, into the oil. then it gets in the oil pump and wears it out. then, hope the filter catches it. oh wait, cold start , the filter is by-passes, so then the sand gets sent to the main bearings under 75 psi. then the main bearing gets scored.

I like paper air filter.
I've used them on my past 3 vehicles and I never had a problem. So all you guys who are saying it damages the MAF, have first hand experience? and it messed up your MAF and it sand got into your engine? or is all this speculation?
Old 06-13-08, 09:07 AM
L's TLS
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 1989Lexus
I've used them on my past 3 vehicles and I never had a problem. So all you guys who are saying it damages the MAF, have first hand experience? and it messed up your MAF and it sand got into your engine? or is all this speculation?
after having the K&N n my 00 ES for about a week the car wouldnt start. eventually i got it to start but it wouldnt stay started unless my foot was on the throttle. I figured it may have been the filter so i took out the TB. Sprayed down the MAF & TB with cleaner and the car worked good as new. After that I have gone back to nothing but paper filters in the ES. Id rather not have a ruined MAF
Old 06-13-08, 09:45 AM
1989Lexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by L's TLS
after having the K&N n my 00 ES for about a week the car wouldnt start. eventually i got it to start but it wouldnt stay started unless my foot was on the throttle. I figured it may have been the filter so i took out the TB. Sprayed down the MAF & TB with cleaner and the car worked good as new. After that I have gone back to nothing but paper filters in the ES. Id rather not have a ruined MAF

Your car wouldnt start because of the K&N air filter? thats a little hard to believe but, Is this a common problem ONLY found on ES models? I dont get why the car wouldnt start because it had a K&N air filter. Ive had the K&N filter in a Ford,Mitsubishi, and 2 Lexus's. I have a K&N in my GS350, I have 4k miles on the car now and still no problem.
Old 06-13-08, 11:13 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

what the hell is wrong with this

Last edited by llcoolpass; 06-13-08 at 07:47 PM.
Old 06-13-08, 11:14 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

it didn't start becausethe MAF was out of spec sothe ECU couldn't determine the proper air-fuel ratio

Quick Reply: K&N Filters