ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Auto Couture Kit dimension question

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-08, 02:22 AM
rgindallas
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Couture Kit dimension question

Mis-spelled Auto (Auot) in the title right off the bat... Sorry about that for future searches. Should have paid closer attention.

Ok, so I am looking at all the body kits posts and pics from current to way back. Some are way cool, but a little too radical for my eye.

I came across these: posted by Lexus007 back in 1995: as it's a color similar to the ES I'm about to acquire.

The black car on the A/C website is killer, but, black doesn't help me with my choice of what the final look would be. Lexus007's does.

This ride is slick in my opinion: Note to self..stop looking at the es300/windowm hot pics thread so much. It's like a drug.

Just wondering if anyone can give me a spec amount on how much lower does the kit fall toward the ground.

To be clear, I'd be worried a little about scraping with say, a 1.3 inch drop of the car with the body kit extending the perimiter of the car lower than stock. There's always a trade off on modifying something, just want to figure the risk/reward of it all.

Any numbers on actual inches?

Any body kit owners scraping up their kits on the road?

Notes:

I like the lines of the kit.

I'm not crazy about the price, but, to me, it's all relative to how bad you want something.

I like the two tone look on 007's car, but, for me, maybe a the matching the original cladding color may be for me. It's going to have to be painted anyway, so that cost is fixed. What color will be another agonizing decision if I decide I must have a kit.

And, my plan of keeping the stock 15" anniverary/coach style wheels could be out the window...along with a few bucks. But, like I said, it's how bad do you want it?

I like the the fullness of the black cars wheels with that kit. Very "beefy"!

The fogs would be a must have as well.

Definitely would have to go with chrome emblems instead of the current gold.

I like the full looking muffler on the black car. I don't want a resonating or too looud system, just a fuller look.

TIA for your response.

RG

"Mod fever" on the horizon, I can feel it coming.

Last edited by rgindallas; 05-06-08 at 02:50 AM.
Old 05-06-08, 04:34 AM
Smitty
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You may wanna ask Charley. I know he did a post when he put his on showing how far the front bumper came down with it on. Hope it helps.

-Smitty
Old 05-06-08, 06:58 AM
rgindallas
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, Smitty, I'll search that name.

Take care,

RG
Old 05-06-08, 04:31 PM
rgindallas
Driver School Candidate

Thanks again smitty, I found some good commentary in this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=323724

I don't think I'd go as low as charley240, though his ride is super sweet.

The author of the thread, steveo81, has a good looking ride dropped about 1.4 inches in his commentary which with a body kit that hangs a little lower may b perfect for me. We'll see.

RG
Old 05-06-08, 04:36 PM
rgindallas
Driver School Candidate

And the EXACT thread you mentioned:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=283789

Looks to be down 3 inches from stock in front, and a little more than 2.5 inches in back with a side drop of about 2 inches on the side. (If I'm reading the pics right.)

Maybe a 1.3 drop and this kit would look cool and lessen my chances of a scrape. But as Charley240 states, and I paraphrase hopefully correctly, ** he build his cars to have fun and enjoy the looks and there are trade offs. Cars can always be redone. ** I agree, but maybe I'm more squeamish than he is...no doubt.

More posts on the subject if it helps anyone;

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=279552

and a good photo documentary worth a look or two, or three.

(Thanks, Charley!)

http://www.cardomain.com/id/AutoLuxLexES

RG

Last edited by rgindallas; 05-06-08 at 04:55 PM.
Old 05-06-08, 05:29 PM
Smitty
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

glad it helped bro. Charley is my hero.

-Smitty
Old 05-07-08, 08:41 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its a large kit. i did the specs because i too was once in your boat and could not find any differences whatsoever. so im glad that it helped. and im still really high. i want to go lower, but my wheels will not allow any more lower. tucked tires fronts and rears. goodluck. and btw, the kit is a very tough kit. its built extremely well(hence the price). my shop didnt expect it to be a direct replacement and was quite happy working on it. i have brung the nose of the bumper over a curb on a drunk july 4th last year, cracked the underside a little. but it has not cracked more. its no doubt a well designed quality kit.

Charley
Old 05-07-08, 10:11 PM
rgindallas
Driver School Candidate

Charley,

Thanks for the response and the help.

A lot of the time you do get what you pay for in quality.

If a shop has to struggle with fitment, it's the hourly rate that will just add more and more to the overall cost of the project, so, if fitment is pretty close to starts with, then it may be worth an extra cost up front.

The other kits I've seen pics of look slick, but for me, I like the auto couture kits as it's noticeable but not extreme. It's all about personal preferences on appearance mods and probably like you and others I have an idea and picture in my head of what I want the end result to be.

This car with only about 25k on it seems like new to me and the dollars are easier to spend to "make it my own".

Yours is a show car no doubt.

I'll probably holler at you with future questions when I get to that point. I've got a few basic mods to start with and then plan the next one probably including the kit and wheels.

RG
Old 05-08-08, 12:03 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah. well goodluck. im sure you will be happy with the end results. til this day, been about a year now, i look at my car still feel all tingly inside. lol. its a noticeable kit, but subtle and classy.

Charley