ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

K&N OIL filter HP-2009 vs HP-1002

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-08, 01:38 PM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default K&N OIL filter HP-2009 vs HP-1002

Just wondering if anyone has used an oversized K&N OIL filter on their lexus like the HP-2009 vs the HP-1002 tyically specified

I want to get better OIL filtration and at the same time get slightly longer service intervals (with synthetic oil).

Thanks in advance,
Fern

Last edited by Fern; 04-14-08 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-14-08, 02:34 PM
BadViper22
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha. Yup, I'm an idiot.

Last edited by BadViper22; 04-14-08 at 07:38 PM.
Old 04-14-08, 03:03 PM
argh
Driver

Originally Posted by BadViper22
More and more people who switch to k&n filters often regret ever spending the $50+. The k&n filters will often let more dust particles in your engine. And from personal experience there is now extra power. And the cost of replacing stock filters for x amount of intervals is less than the k&n. I'm sure there are some positives of using k&n filters, I just can't think of them right now. Hope this helps.
OP is referring to oil filters.

Not sure about those particular K&Ns, but off the top of my head, Purolator Pure One and NAPA Gold are all good for 10,000mi.
Old 04-14-08, 04:15 PM
JSM1284
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I use WIX oil filters.
Old 04-14-08, 05:52 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are Mobil 1 oil filters any good?
Old 04-14-08, 07:37 PM
BadViper22
Lexus Test Driver

Haha, it's funny how retarded I am.
Old 04-14-08, 11:44 PM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I would definately use the oversized filter. Right now I am using the Fram XG 3600 which is the same size as the K&N HP-2009 and Mobil 1 M1-209. More media, more filtration, less pressure so oil moves thru the media slower, its a win win situation. After getting crappy Particle counts on the toyota 90915-yzzd3 filters, I used the Fram XG cuz i got them for $1.50 and its not the same fram quality as the others. After this I am going to Mobil 1 as it gets great reviews on BITOG.
Old 04-16-08, 08:31 PM
delta901
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kingofire
I would definately use the oversized filter. Right now I am using the Fram XG 3600 which is the same size as the K&N HP-2009 and Mobil 1 M1-209. More media, more filtration, less pressure so oil moves thru the media slower, its a win win situation. After getting crappy Particle counts on the toyota 90915-yzzd3 filters, I used the Fram XG cuz i got them for $1.50 and its not the same fram quality as the others. After this I am going to Mobil 1 as it gets great reviews on BITOG.
Are you sure the Fram 3600 is the oversided version of Fram 3614 (fit ES300 97-01)? If so, where can I reference it?

I am going to Auto-RX my ES300 this summer (take all advantage of the heat) so I need bigger, better oil filter.

Thanks,

K
Old 04-16-08, 08:48 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have used Fram EG3600, M1 209, and Napa Gold 1516 as oversized application for 1mz-fe, fit perfectly as OEM size just more media and added oil sump for a little bit more cost.
Just look up the thread size, inner and outer diameter of the can, and bypass valve PSI on Napa/Wix home page, you will see the difference is only length.
Old 04-17-08, 09:52 PM
smokesgtp
Driver

Its actually not a win win. They make them a certain size for a reason, perhaps someone with an engineering degree like those who design these filters could chime in. It'll lower oil pressure too much. I wouldn't do it. Mobil one and K&N are both excellent. Fram is cardboard ****. I've gone 7500 on M1 and the K&N for a long time.
Old 04-17-08, 10:47 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

No, only the pressure across the filter media is relieved during high RPM instances. That is when oil is most needed in the engine so better flow is a good thing. Oil will also not flow faster than the oil pump can pump oil through the system.
It is also false to assume that certain sized filter is designed for a specific engine, just look up one particular Toyota filter and you will see multiple Toyota engines with dozens of models listed and approved. These engines sometimes are generations and decades apart, but share the same filter design.
It is also common for Toyota to have multiple filter design for the same engine, this is the case with xmz-fe. JDM part number and design is different from the model sold in the U.S.

Last edited by TunedRX300; 04-18-08 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-19-08, 12:08 AM
smokesgtp
Driver

I'm aware when I buy an oil filter it is designed for multiple engines. One would think there is some thought put into this process but maybe I give the manufacturers too much credit. I'm aware the oil is only going to flow at a certain rate, but no matter how you slice it, a larger filter means the majority of the time slightly lower oil pressure. More surface area, same pumping capability, what am I missing? I'm assuming you mean the pressure across the media being relieved means during periods of very high oil pressure the filter actually stops filtering correct in basic terms correct? The oil bypasses the actual media in the filter?
Old 04-19-08, 04:03 AM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
Just look up the thread size, inner and outer diameter of the can, and bypass valve PSI on Napa/Wix home page, you will see the difference is only length.
Yes, I agree.

Both specs for the K&N Hp-1002 (recommended application for the RX300) and the K&N HP- 2009 (larger size) have the same spec'd PSI Relief Valve: 8-11

So how does using an oversized filter drop oil pressure?
Is the logic that as the oil has to travel over a larger filter media area, by the time it returns to the pump, the time lapsed is greater therefore the pressure is ultimately being dropped?

Can someone chime-in and explain what the pressure release valve does and what are the advantages and dissadvantages of higher or lower pressure release specs.

If greater filter media decreases oil pressure then why are there racing applications with 2 oil filters... surely one would not want lower oil pressure when racing.
Old 04-19-08, 11:06 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it keeps the thing from filtering, so that oil pressure gets oil flowing faster to the different parts of the engine, on a cold start

anyway, my point is always going to be , unless something changes, stay away , use purolator oil filters instead. or wix. other filters suck, and you're mostly buying it due to psych-warfare a-la marketing
Old 04-21-08, 09:33 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fern
Yes, I agree.

Both specs for the K&N Hp-1002 (recommended application for the RX300) and the K&N HP- 2009 (larger size) have the same spec'd PSI Relief Valve: 8-11

So how does using an oversized filter drop oil pressure?
Is the logic that as the oil has to travel over a larger filter media area, by the time it returns to the pump, the time lapsed is greater therefore the pressure is ultimately being dropped?

Can someone chime-in and explain what the pressure release valve does and what are the advantages and dissadvantages of higher or lower pressure release specs.

If greater filter media decreases oil pressure then why are there racing applications with 2 oil filters... surely one would not want lower oil pressure when racing.
To answer your question first let's see what a bypass valve does.

Proper oil flow across media is important, that is why bypass valve is set at certain PSI. By definition, when the pressure across media is too much, the pressure activate the valve and allow oil to be unfiltered and bypassed. Engine lubricated with dirty oil is better than engine starved with lubrication.

Larger media relieves pressure when the media itself is restricting the flow. Such as when media is clogged or more flow is demanded (by high rpm) but are restricted because of media size.

When the filtered oil is routed to the exit holes, media size does not matter anymore.

Bigger media means higher capacity to store dirt, bigger oil passage path across media means media is less likely to be the restriction part. In another word, engine will have a higher chance to get filtered oil instead of relying on bypass valve to let in unfiltered oil.

From engine prospective, it does not know how much media the filter has, but it gets its ljust enough "blood" and oil pressure should be what engine demands.

Last edited by TunedRX300; 04-21-08 at 09:37 AM.

Quick Reply: K&N OIL filter HP-2009 vs HP-1002