ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Need questions answered

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-08, 07:28 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts
Question Need questions answered

Ok i know this has been discussed many times, but i want to get all this stuff down before we do it. We are getting our 2001 es300 tinted and were wondering a few things

1. Is there a certain kind of tint that is worth it. Is all tint the same and if not what kinds are there?

2. Will the tint affect the radio and or portable gps in the car? I ask this because when we asked if we could tint our lx, they said no because of the gps

3. We asked around and found for us to do 4 windows and the rear, its about 250 dollars, that sound about right?

4. We want all the windows to match equally and be legal in new york, anyone know what percent w\tint we will need to do so, i think its 35% but im not sure, and if it is, anyone got a pic of 35% to show how dark it is.

5. Will this help keep the car cooler in the summer, i know this may sound stupid, but hey you never know

Im sorry for all the questions, buit if you guys answer, it would be great, and if you could, include pics to. Got to get it before summer comes around agian
Old 04-05-08, 09:48 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by jmd93
Ok i know this has been discussed many times, but i want to get all this stuff down before we do it. We are getting our 2001 es300 tinted and were wondering a few things

1. Is there a certain kind of tint that is worth it. Is all tint the same and if not what kinds are there?

2. Will the tint affect the radio and or portable gps in the car? I ask this because when we asked if we could tint our lx, they said no because of the gps

3. We asked around and found for us to do 4 windows and the rear, its about 250 dollars, that sound about right?

4. We want all the windows to match equally and be legal in new york, anyone know what percent w\tint we will need to do so, i think its 35% but im not sure, and if it is, anyone got a pic of 35% to show how dark it is.

5. Will this help keep the car cooler in the summer, i know this may sound stupid, but hey you never know

Im sorry for all the questions, buit if you guys answer, it would be great, and if you could, include pics to. Got to get it before summer comes around agian

I've had the best luck for appearance, performance with 2 brands Solar Gard or Llumar (my ES 330 is in the shop as we speak to get Solar Gard Charcoal Series 22% or a medium shade on all windows, except the windshield of course). Not all tint is the same......the two I mentioned (and a couple others as well) are very high quality....scratch resistant, fade resistant etc.

- I have always used a metalized tint myself & never had a problem with radio reception....don't have a GPS personally.....make sure you get it professionally installed....not an easy job.

- That price does not sound unreasonable.

- Get a 20 - 22% shade (AKA 'medium shade') on ALL windows....you will be glad you did....35% is too light imo. Even 'fade resistant' tint will get lighter over time. I find the 5% (or limo tint) way too dark especially at night.

- It will keep the interior cooler....but in the dead of summer, it's still gonna be super hot.....it will protect the interior however & the appearance it gives is well worth it.

Keep us posted, hope this helps & good luck.

Here's a link to my old 2001 ES with 22% tint.....it looks darker than it is because of the overcast weather.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=20981
Old 04-05-08, 10:20 PM
paintrain
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

-well the price is right. anything around 200 is good
-id go with around 20 percent tint, but i have no idea what NY state laws are. in PA, any aftermarket tint is illegal but that doesnt stop anyone.
-ive got a portable gps and a radar detector and it does not affect it at all.
-the interior will be a lil cooler
-as far as the type of tint, there is colored tint, mirror tint, and black tint. color tint is for ricers, mirror tint doesnt really look good (pissed that its on my 2000 rx300 but w/e). go with black tint.
Old 04-06-08, 08:34 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

thanks guys, just want to make sure nothing will go wrong. we asked the lexus dealer where they send their car to get tinted to im pretty confident about not having to deal with tint being istalled that carelessly, i hope
Old 04-06-08, 09:28 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

The tricky part is the back window.....I had to get my 2001 ES re-tinted because the guy screwed it up so bad....that's why I mentioned to get it done professionally. Keep us posted & agreed the 'black' tint (which is the charcoal for mine) is the best & classiest way to go.
Old 04-06-08, 02:22 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

ok thanks agian, we are having it done mid may, for my birthday present for my soon to be daily driver
Old 04-06-08, 04:20 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Thumbs up

Sweet....post some pics once the job's done.
Old 04-06-08, 06:18 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

ill get right on it, now if you don/t mind one more question, is there a ;arge difference between 20 and 15% i was thinking that if we did 20 on all the side windows and 20 on the back, if it will looks funny
Old 04-07-08, 06:08 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

You won't notice that much of a difference between 15 & 20% shades. Pick one (I highly suggest the 20%) and do it on all windows. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-08-08, 01:36 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

all windows accept the front right? and also, just got to make sure 20 is legal
Old 04-08-08, 05:04 PM
TORTOISE
Lead Lap

20% all around will look good but i doubt its legal. I have 20 on the rear 3 and 35 on the front 2 and it looks really good. I know its not legal in Jersey though. You cant have any tint on the front here. Also, You should take off your 3rd brake light bezel so they can tint the whole rear window and dont have to cut around your 3rd brake light. Mines cut around it and i hate how it looks. Good Luck!
Old 04-08-08, 07:50 PM
delta901
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TORTOISE
20% all around will look good but i doubt its legal. I have 20 on the rear 3 and 35 on the front 2 and it looks really good. I know its not legal in Jersey though. You cant have any tint on the front here. Also, You should take off your 3rd brake light bezel so they can tint the whole rear window and dont have to cut around your 3rd brake light. Mines cut around it and i hate how it looks. Good Luck!
Have exactly what you got: 35 Front / 20 Rear.

I got a semi-metalic tint. It actually decreased my remote range by a bit. AM radio got hit the most but still acceptable. Plus, my auto-dimming rear view mirror did not work well anymore
Old 04-08-08, 08:07 PM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey buddy, i live in NYC.. and the cops here would stop you for just staring at them wrong. 20%, they will get you , seriously. i did mine at 35% all around. wish i did 30 and 25 on the rear. but my car is grey and too dark of a tint would out stand the car. just my 2 cent.

if you have a white or bright color car , darker tints are nice. if dark color cars, lighter tints are good.
Old 04-08-08, 10:36 PM
calichris
Lead Lap

i had 20 on my white es all windows except the windshield and looked great, going to the same on my silver one tomorrow, $100 and a lifetime warranty tint, a buddy is doin it
Old 04-09-08, 10:09 AM
paintrain
Lead Lap

most states dont allow aftermarket tint... that being said, the cop has to be a real d*ck to write you a ticket because tint is supposed to be a secondary offense, atleast in PA anyway

Quick Reply: Need questions answered