ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Silly question but... how to close the moonroof on a 98 ES300?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-08, 03:36 PM
McMuffin
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Silly question but... how to close the moonroof on a 98 ES300?

Sorry for the incredibly noob question guys, but I was just curious what the best way to close the moon roof is. On my 98 ES300 there is no "close moonroof" button, just slide open and tilt up.

The method that I use is if the moonroof is slid all the way open then I have to push tilt up and try to gauge it when it's closed. It annoys me because I don't really know when it's actually sealed, I have to get out of the car and check if the moonroof is flushed closed.

So just curious if there was a trick or something I don't know about to closing the moonroof.

Again, I apologize for the incredibly noob question.
Old 03-21-08, 03:40 PM
alaskaty
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you hit whatever button closes it (maybe it's tilt up to slide it forward). Once it get's all the way to the end it lift up a little to seal. If you hit tilt up from there it will tilt up then. There's only 1 tilt up height that I know of so if you don't see daylight then you are sealed. Don't make closing the moon roof any harder than rolling up a window.
Old 03-21-08, 03:43 PM
McMuffin
Rookie

It's not one touch though right? I mean you have to hold the button, and it doesn't stop at close it just goes right on and does whatever button you're holding.

For example, if my moon roof is slid all the way open and I hold tilt up to close it, it just closes and then tilts the moon roof up. Is there supposed to be a pause when it closes?
Old 03-21-08, 05:02 PM
gulffishin
Driver

I'm not sure on the 98', but on my 03 if your roof is opened briefly press "tilt" and let it go. The sunroof will shut and automatically stop in the closed position. From the closed position if "tilt" is pressed again the sunroof will tilt up. To close it from the tilted position I press the "slide" side of the button.
Old 03-21-08, 05:14 PM
happy_es3
Driver

^^ same thing on my 2000 its a one touch operation
Old 03-22-08, 12:39 AM
McMuffin
Rookie

On my 98, the only thing that's 1 touch is "Slide open" and it's only to open. To close, and everything else, I have to hold it, so I guess i just gotta time it right or something.
Old 03-22-08, 01:31 AM
LEX ES300
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by McMuffin
On my 98, the only thing that's 1 touch is "Slide open" and it's only to open. To close, and everything else, I have to hold it, so I guess i just gotta time it right or something.
On my 97 ES you push the button once that says 'slide open' and the whole moon roof (we call them sun roofs in Australia) opens all the way.

To close mine you have to press and hold the 'tilt up' button (otherwise known as the 'close' button). The roof closes to exactly half then stops (it is meant to do this incase you only want it half open). You then release the button, and push and hold the same 'tilt up' button again and it then closes the rest of the way and stops automatically when properly closed.

If you press the 'tilt up button' again once the roof is closed it will then tilt the roof up.

Once tilted up, to close it you press and hold the 'slide open' button. The roof will tilt down and automatically stop when it's properly closed. If you release the button then press it again, then it fully opens the roof.

In every case the roof motor will automatically stop when it senses that the roof is either fully open, partially open or closed - even when you are holding down a button.
When I first had mine, I thought that the roof wasn't closed properly either because when you look at it from some angles inside the car it didn't look flat (optical illusion). Get out and check and you will see it is flat and closed.

In summary, learn to trust the auto settings on it. Ie when the motor cuts out after you are pressing a button it has closed properly.

LEX ES300
Old 03-22-08, 01:41 AM
smokesgtp
Driver

Originally Posted by LEX ES300
On my 97 ES you push the button once that says 'slide open' and the whole moon roof (we call them sun roofs in Australia) opens all the way.

To close mine you have to press and hold the 'tilt up' button (otherwise known as the 'close' button). The roof closes to exactly half then stops (it is meant to do this incase you only want it half open). You then release the button, and push and hold the same 'tilt up' button again and it then closes the rest of the way and stops automatically when properly closed.

If you press the 'tilt up button' again once the roof is closed it will then tilt the roof up.

Once tilted up, to close it you press and hold the 'slide open' button. The roof will tilt down and automatically stop when it's properly closed. If you release the button then press it again, then it fully opens the roof.

In every case the roof motor will automatically stop when it senses that the roof is either fully open, partially open or closed - even when you are holding down a button.
When I first had mine, I thought that the roof wasn't closed properly either because when you look at it from some angles inside the car it didn't look flat (optical illusion). Get out and check and you will see it is flat and closed.

In summary, learn to trust the auto settings on it. Ie when the motor cuts out after you are pressing a button it has closed properly.

LEX ES300

Couldn't say it better myself. You can adjust the tilt manually as well if you wish. I like to tilt it half way or so when it's cold out just for some fresh air.