ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Is my tranny dead?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-08, 08:21 AM
P_M_G
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Is my tranny dead?

So Friday I'm heading off to work on a cold (relative since I'm in SoCal) morning (prob about 50), and I notice a slight hesitation for my '94 ES300 to get into gear after backing out of the driveway. No issues the rest of the day, or over the weekend for that matter.

Then, this morning (much colder - like 40), I back out of the drive, shift to D and.....nothing....car revs and revs and doesn't move. Try R and nothing. I can usually hear/feel the gar dropping into gear, but nothing. After a few secs, I try 2 and it starts moving, stop and put into D again and it's feeling verrrrry clunky and slow to move. Hit the gas a little harder and acceleration is minimal, then the engine revs up until I let off the gas.

I know virtually nothing about this kinda stuff so any and all help is appreciated....I just need her to last about another year. Could this be a fluid issue (I had the trans pan gasket replaced about a year ago with a full flush)??? Or am I gonna need a new transmission?

If I need a new one - where to get? Estimates of cost? I've tried to describe the problem as best I can - let me know if I need to post more info.

Thank you all in advance!
Old 02-04-08, 10:45 AM
captain313
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by P_M_G
So Friday I'm heading off to work on a cold (relative since I'm in SoCal) morning (prob about 50), and I notice a slight hesitation for my '94 ES300 to get into gear after backing out of the driveway. No issues the rest of the day, or over the weekend for that matter.

Then, this morning (much colder - like 40), I back out of the drive, shift to D and.....nothing....car revs and revs and doesn't move. Try R and nothing. I can usually hear/feel the gar dropping into gear, but nothing. After a few secs, I try 2 and it starts moving, stop and put into D again and it's feeling verrrrry clunky and slow to move. Hit the gas a little harder and acceleration is minimal, then the engine revs up until I let off the gas.

I know virtually nothing about this kinda stuff so any and all help is appreciated....I just need her to last about another year. Could this be a fluid issue (I had the trans pan gasket replaced about a year ago with a full flush)??? Or am I gonna need a new transmission?

If I need a new one - where to get? Estimates of cost? I've tried to describe the problem as best I can - let me know if I need to post more info.

Thank you all in advance!

check your tranny fluid level first.
Old 02-04-08, 11:59 AM
P_M_G
Pit Crew

Checked and it looks fine, no spots underneath to indicate another leak either...
Old 02-04-08, 12:04 PM
captain313
Driver School Candidate

Checked and it looks fine, no spots underneath to indicate another leak either...

well thats good but what i mean is when the motor and tranny are running at normal temp check it when its is running in park on the dip stick buddy. good luck
Old 02-04-08, 01:44 PM
P_M_G
Pit Crew

fluid is good...i just took it by my mechanic and he said something bad with the tranny (but they don't work on em so he couldn't be certain what, but confirmed fluid level was good)....also found a busted engine mount (sucker bucks like a bronco) and a bad air conditioning compressor.....ugh

however, running with warmed up engine is much smoother and no apparent slippage so I'm confused....(again)

Last edited by P_M_G; 02-04-08 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-04-08, 03:26 PM
captain313
Driver School Candidate

fluid is good...i just took it by my mechanic and he said something bad with the tranny (but they don't work on em so he couldn't be certain what, but confirmed fluid level was good)....also found a busted engine mount (sucker bucks like a bronco) and a bad air conditioning compressor.....ugh

however, running with warmed up engine is much smoother and no apparent slippage so I'm confused....(again)

well maybe its just a clogged tranny filter drop the pan and change the filter i guess that is what i would do but that is just part of my maintenance and sorry to hear about all the other stuff that is wrong good luck man keep us all here posted on what you figure out and do.
Old 02-04-08, 05:38 PM
swifty562
Lead Lap

when was the last time you changed your fluid?

also, what color is the fluid?

have you down shift and raced before?

don't mind the excessive question. lol it'll help everyone by knowing what was done to it.
Old 02-05-08, 12:33 PM
arnelli
Driver School Candidate

i have the same problem
Old 02-05-08, 03:22 PM
P_M_G
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by swifty562
when was the last time you changed your fluid?

also, what color is the fluid?

have you down shift and raced before?

don't mind the excessive question. lol it'll help everyone by knowing what was done to it.
Flushed and refilled less than 3 months ago. it's brown...not black. Also had the pan off about a year or so ago to replace a leaking pan gasket.

No I don't race. I'm a fairly average driver, a speeder yes, but I don't race off the line, don't try to blow people away on the freeway ramps....it's just a plain jane ES after all!

Tranny shop says it's fluid pressure problem combined with worn bearings...
Old 02-07-08, 12:32 PM
arnelli
Driver School Candidate

so how do you solve it?
Old 02-08-08, 08:10 AM
P_M_G
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by arnelli
so how do you solve it?

I tell the transmission shop to fix it and pray it's nothing worse.
Old 02-14-08, 11:41 AM
P_M_G
Pit Crew

Yup....rebuilt with new pump, internals and a new flywheel to top it off....

Now on to the cracked mounts and valve cover gasket replacements.... mo money mo money mo money!
Old 02-14-08, 12:59 PM
ahabion
Driver School Candidate

tranny fluid should be red, not brown... if it turns EVER turns black, shame on you.... but it should go from red to brown, so if its brown already after 3 months, might be a bad tranny filter as well but could potentially be more... well have the pros take a look see... GL.