ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

question for 00-01 es300 owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-08, 11:12 PM
liquid2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question for 00-01 es300 owners

hi I'm in the market for a used car. I'm really interested in the 2000-2001 es300s but I'm worried about the engine sludge problem! Thats my main worry thats keeping me away. From what I've read on this forum, its either the car has sludge problems or it doesn't. If I were to pick one up, it'd have around 80-90k miles on it.
What i need to know is
Is there a way to spot sludge in an engine?
Any particular telltale signs of a engine with sludge that I can look out for?
Are there any other things to look out for when looking at a es300 that could become troublesome in the future?
Any big/small problems that you owners(with 00-01 es300s) have had?

Please share any stories about problems you've had with the es300. and any good info you guys have on the car! lol
Old 01-13-08, 12:30 AM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

The sludge problem does exist on these cars, but from what I have read its only common among cars that don't have regular maintenance done.

The only way you can really find out is to completely remove the valve covers, which is not likely.

You can always open the engine oil cap and peek inside, and ask for service records.

Ive had my 2000 for about 2 years and have had no problems with the car. Love the car so far.

And if you decide to buy a car, just look for basic things to see if the car was well taken care of. Engine oil condition, tranny fluid, coolant, tire condition, and check how much brake pads are left.
Old 01-13-08, 01:08 AM
smokesgtp
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah it's true just look inside the oil cap although thats not always the most accurate indicator. Mine looks terrible under the oil cap slight varnish on the small part of the valvetrain you can see but nothin abnormal just conventional oil use until like 40k. Yet at 82k it doesn't eat a drop of mobil one EP on 7500 intervals, idles like the engine isn't running, and when I drain it, I feel tempted to put it in the lawn mower and snowblower and never change it again lol . I've had the car about a year and half so 30k+. I 've replaced one control arm and thats it and i think it was a defective part, I don't think it was a problem later on 2000 and up as much. My car also had full maintanence records from the dealer though so I was lucky, thats a big, big, plus. People who drive nicer vehicles like ours tend to keep receipts, you could get lucky.
Old 01-13-08, 07:54 AM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

My wife's 00 ES was purchased new in Jan 00 and served her well untill its death in Dec 07 (our son totaled it by hitting a tree). In the 8 years of ownership, the only problem we had was with the front turn signals. Both were replaced under warranty. I would like to point out that the car was well taken care of. That is, regular maintenance performed, and syn oil changes every 4 months.
Everytime service was done, tires purchased, etc...the receipt went into the glove box. Overall, the ES is a great car but even a great car can be a POS if its not taken care of. No matter what you get, make sure that the car comes with a complete service record. If it does not...keep looking.
Old 01-13-08, 10:48 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Rollin'RX3
The sludge problem does exist on these cars, but from what I have read its only common among cars that don't have regular maintenance done.

Key is (as mentioned) is to get all service records & if the previous owner used synthetic oil, even better.
Old 01-13-08, 12:16 PM
dpayne
Driver School Candidate

I've had a ES300 for 6 years, runs great. change the oil about every 3-4 thousand miles. Mostly in town driving. Peek inside the filler cap and ask if oil change records are availalble.

David
Old 01-13-08, 12:17 PM
dpayne
Driver School Candidate

What I'm desperately needing help on is, How and Where do I replace the cabin air filter on a 2000 ES 300. I'm new to this forum, and having trouble enough navigating around on it. Anybody know where I should start.

dpayne
Old 01-13-08, 12:24 PM
vassey50
Pole Position

I think good maintenance is probably the best indicator for any previous engine problems. As everyone else has experienced; if you get one and take of it, i doubt any major services will be coming. These things are incredible, rated as one of the best used car vehicles by JD Power. And if you're looking for 2000-2001, go for the 01's, you'll have the HID headlamps good luck with your search.

V
Old 01-13-08, 10:39 PM
happy_es3
Driver

umm just a little add in the HIDS were a stock option on the 2000 es300 as i have the auto leveling HIDS on my 2000 es300
Old 01-14-08, 04:42 AM
92ES5sp
Lexus Test Driver

Smile

Originally Posted by Rollin'RX3

The only way you can really find out is to completely remove the valve covers, which is not likely.

You can always open the engine oil cap and peek inside, and ask for service records.

Ive had my 2000 for about 2 years and have had no problems with the car. Love the car so far.

And if you decide to buy a car, just look for basic things to see if the car was well taken care of. Engine oil condition, tranny fluid, coolant, tire condition, and check how much brake pads are left.
Rollin RX3 is right on. I have a 2000 Solara 1MZ with only 3400 miles on it, and it has no signs of sludge at all. Of course i change the oil every 2-3 months just to be safe. (Dont ask about the mileage btw, long story) Wish it had VVT-i though.
Old 01-14-08, 04:58 AM
LXMN
Lexus Test Driver

Creaky steering wheel (especially in cold weather) when making turns

Slight wind noise at high speeds (maybe cause the windows are frameless)

Pause in acceleration when you put the pedal to the metal

Driver/passenger cupholder is in the wrong location and can't hold anything bigger than half a soda can without falling out under normal turning speeds
Old 01-14-08, 05:10 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LXMN

Driver/passenger cupholder is in the wrong location and can't hold anything bigger than half a soda can without falling out under normal turning speeds
I agree with the slight wind noise and lousy cup holders. However, never had problems with creaky steering wheel and never had a pause in acceleration. I heard 02's and up with 5 speed had issues but to my knowledge, the 4 speed was solid. When I drove my wife's car, I could stomp on it at any speed and the car was very responsive. Now my old 00 GS300 was another story...very un-responsive
Old 01-14-08, 10:09 PM
smokesgtp
Driver

Originally Posted by LXMN

That actually covers just about all the bases, oh the paint on the b pillars slowly oxidizes over time for some reason, ending up looking like ****, You guys with the 00' and up still have that problem?