ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

92 ES300 Misfiring. I've replaced EVERYTHING

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-08, 06:34 PM
QuickGS400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 ES300 Misfiring. I've replaced EVERYTHING

I swear I have the ES300 from hell. It is a 92 ES300 that we got with 106k. We had problems from the get go but have had about 20K trouble free miles until now.

The rear center cylinder does not fire. I have taken the top end of this engine part so many times I could do it with my eyes closed.

I have replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor, upper and lower intake manifold gaskets, all 6 injectors, valve cover gaskets, spark plug hole gaskets.

It appears to have spark because it ran though my body when I unpluged that wire from the cap. I have also just tried 3 different wires to that cylinder just in case since I read some people have problems with wires. I have also done 3 different spark plugs just in case. So I think well it has to be the injector. So I swapped the injector with one in front just to try and see. Nope, so I buy 6 new injectors, nope. All 12 injectors read fine with the OHM meter. So all I can think is compression. But it was just into the shop when I was first bamboozled and the mechanic said that the compression is good and its a bad injector.

Only thing i havent tested is to see if that injector is getting a signal? I don't know how I would test that either.

SHOOT ME or take this car to the crusher. Is there something im not trying or forgetting?

Last edited by QuickGS400; 01-10-08 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-10-08, 06:37 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea change the head gasket. Maybe that's the one. I did everything too, and my rear left cylinder is still drenched in oil. I have misfiring too.
Old 01-10-08, 07:11 PM
92ES5sp
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by QuickGS400
I swear I have the ES300 from hell. It is a 92 ES300 that we got with 106k. We had problems from the get go but have had about 20K trouble free miles until now.

The rear center cylinder does not fire. I have taken the top end of this engine part so many times I could do it with my eyes closed.

I have replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor, upper and lower intake manifold gaskets, all 6 injectors, valve cover gaskets, spark plug hole gaskets.

It appears to have spark because it ran though my body when I unpluged that wire from the cap. I have also just tried 3 different wires to that cylinder just in case since I read some people have problems with wires. I have also done 3 different spark plugs just in case. So I think well it has to be the injector. So I swapped the injector with one in front just to try and see. Nope, so I buy 6 new injectors, nope. All 12 injectors read fine with the OHM meter. So all I can think is compression. But it was just into the shop when I was first bamboozled and the mechanic said that the compression is good and its a bad injector.

Only thing i have tested is to see if that injector is getting a signal? I don't know how I would test that either.

SHOOT ME or take this car to the crusher. Is there something im not trying or forgetting?
What kind of problems did you have from the get go? Engine problems? And how are you sure it is cyl#3 that is not firing?
Old 01-10-08, 07:14 PM
powerwave
Lead Lap

you can test that injector with a noid light. you get a set of em, and one will be for imports.

the other thing would be to put a screwdriver handle on it and listen to see if it's firing. you can hear it through the handle of the screwdriver.
Old 01-10-08, 10:20 PM
QuickGS400
Rookie

Originally Posted by 92ES5sp
What kind of problems did you have from the get go? Engine problems? And how are you sure it is cyl#3 that is not firing?
When we first bought it, part of the deal was to have the waterpump and timing belt replaced before we bought it. When we got the car back it ran horribly underpowered. I replaced tons of things before determining that the timing was off, but not off enough to make the car not run obviously.

So after that we had about 20 thousand trouble free miles before this happening now.

Its just hard to do many of the normal diagnostic because the intake manifold and many other things have to be unplugged to test this rear cylinder.

I unplugged each coil wire one by one and the one for the rear center cylinder makes no difference in the engines running. Then to double check I unplugged each injector one by one and unplugging the rear center made no difference. And beleive me it was fun trying to unplug that with some llllooonnnggg needle nose plyers.

Originally Posted by powerwave
you can test that injector with a noid light. you get a set of em, and one will be for imports.

the other thing would be to put a screwdriver handle on it and listen to see if it's firing. you can hear it through the handle of the screwdriver.
Yea thats a good idea, I forgot about noid lights, I will pick up a kit. Thanks for the suggestion.