ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

CD changer-FM modulator????

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-02, 09:48 AM
LEXBERG
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question CD changer-FM modulator????

So what doyou guys think of FM modulator sound?? I want to add a cd changer to my 97 ES Lex, what can I do??? I want to change my speakers too, what are the best kind??

Please help?
Old 01-24-02, 12:46 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Stereo

Hey there, I added a 10 Disc sony to my car. The FM Modulator messed up my radio reception though. Now I have completly lost some further away stations and Lose reception on some of the closer ones. I replaced my speakers with bostwicks, they have pretty good sound and are not really expensive. Try audiobahn if you have the money. I replaced my two 3 and a halfs in the front dash with two tweeters, and i replaced the 5 and a halfs and the 6x9s all with bostwick. My subs are 12s rockfords. they hit pretty hard, and i have the gain all the way up on my amp. i am preparing to put an amp to power all my new speakers, since the original doors are 4watts and the original 6x9s are 16watts. now my new ones are 100 for each door and 130 for each 6x9. so obviously i need a new amp bc my factory amp is hardly pushing these speakers. sounds much clearer and louder though. and less chance of them being blown ( i blew my factories ) . anyway, i recomend asking some others about the modulator, bc it made me mad that i lost some radio stations and now i cant get them back, even without the modulator plugged in. if anyone has a solution to my problem i will glady take advice. i will try and post some pictures of my car on clublexus, i have not yet. hope this helps some. later
Old 01-25-02, 01:46 AM
mir213
Driver School Candidate

That sux Egainer, but with that system who needs the radio!? I have an FM modulator also, I no longer have AM radio stations but was told about it by the installers before hand. If you are having it installed professionally I would ask to make sure what stations will be lost or distorted. As for the sound, I was told that it would sound just like the radio but I think I was being conned into buying a whole new cd-player along with my changer because the sound is much better and I'm happy with it. I would just make sure that the radio station that they set it to has a strong frequency-might make a difference.
Old 01-25-02, 07:47 AM
LEXBERG
Pole Position

Question

So does anybody know how to install a cd changer without an FM modulator to the factory system? Are after markets compatible with the factory radio. I have the wiring for a cd changer I found it under the dash. Someone on clublexus told me about it. If I did get the factory system cut out and added a new one would the value ofmr car go down(97 ES300)?/?????
Old 01-25-02, 02:47 PM
Brando
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

I have the FM mod as well. What I would do if I had it to do again is I would buy a headunit and changer off of EBay. You can get them sometimes pretty reasonable and they are the factory options. I think all the cars come wired for it anyway so all you have to do is locate the wires and plug it in. The FM mod is ok but I dont think the sound is as good, it seems like I have to turn the volume up louder to listen to CDs.
Old 01-25-02, 05:01 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Amp and Headlights

Thanks. I am preparing to get an amp now. Probably tomorrow. I am going to have a four channel amp installed to power all my cabin speakers. It is going to cost about $160 with installation. Then I am going to buy some Xenon headlights. I am going to install them myself with the help of some people in another thread. I will update everyone on how it goes, and I will take some pictures. Thanks again.

Eric