ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Power Steering Issue (Pronounced with Cold/Lack of Use)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-07, 08:36 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Power Steering Issue (Pronounced with Cold/Lack of Use)

Using the Search function with the words "power steering cold stiff" resulted in one hit with a thread telling the OP to check the fluid levels, and my power steering fluid level is fine so...

I'm having an issue with the Power Steering on my '92 ES300.

SYMPTOM:
The steering wheel
  • Strongly resists steering inputs
  • Does not unwind after the completion of a turn with the application of the throttle
WHEN:
  • The car has been sitting for a while
  • The outside temps are lower; the colder it is, the more pronounced the symptoms are and the longer they last.

Once the car (or the outside temps) warms up, the symptoms subside for the most part. I had the power steering hoses replaced earlier in the year, so I don't anticipate problems related to the hose.

I'll create this thread in the hopes of a good conversation about the problem, and a searchable resolution once I determine the cause.
Old 11-26-07, 09:21 AM
Instructor

That's a weird symptom. I'm thinking it's the rack and pinion if it does not unwind after giving it some throttle. Anyways I'm just curious, which power steering hose did you replace? The high pressure or just the rubber hoses?
Old 11-27-07, 05:54 PM
Lexus4You
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah... about the power steering pump...... first off... i hate it... second... mine leaks and i cant find where its leaking... third its a ***** to get at to fix... and i replaced the regular hoses and now i am thinking that it may be the high pressure hoses.... i put it up on the lift and i see nothing dripping... but when i park it there is a puddle under the car.... what i am thinking is that when i am driving it .... its squirting out all over because of the high pressure... and when i park it, it all drips down and on to the ground... not too sure... how much do the high pressure hoses cost... and is there a way to fix them... like put a o-ring under the fitting or something?????
Old 11-27-07, 11:06 PM
Instructor

The high pressure ps hose is kinda hard (a b!*#%) to repair or replace. It goes around and about sitting on the head, between the valve covers. It cost a lot too. Dont know exactly but it could be around $50-$120. It could be more.
Old 12-04-07, 02:23 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

Here's the current status and worklog/testlog:
  • checked the stering ecu - Pass
  • Inspected power steering hose for restriction - Pass
  • Inspected the idle up control valve; piston moves up and down freely - Pass
  • The power steering pump came out late Friday. Went ahead and move the 24mm nut that holds the flow control valve in place. The nut came off. Removed the flow control valve and inspect for clearance. They both move up and down freely. - Pass
  • Went ahead and got some fine grid sand paper and sanded it down. A typical problem on all of the Lexus pump. - Completed possible fix
  • System flushed and left overnight with the cap off to allow any air pockets to work slowly up. - Complete
  • Flow Control Valve inspected (pics to come). The valve is working and not stuck closed. - Pass
  • Everything back together Monday night - Complete
  • Removed the solenoid on the pump and inspected the screen. She is clean. - Pass
  • After sitting overnight, it did steer a little better,
    but, then hooked up the pressure gauge for cold and hot testing. During cold start it's not getting enough pressure. - UH OH
  • Power steering pump already confirmed good - Still a Pass
  • Testing now points to the seals on the rack and pinion. Due to age (and also likely corrosion from the prior power steering fluid leak) they're not sealing. - FAIL

Pictures:
Flow Control Valve
Flow Control Valves are on top. There are two of them. There is a spring under the control valve.

Yep. All signs point to requiring a new rack and pinion assembly. I'm posting this to share my sadness with an imminent back-breaking expense.
I'm also posting all of this in the hopes that it will help others diagnose and resolve any similar power steering issue they have.

What's your opinion?
  • Is it foolish to cough up this kinda cash for this part on a 15 year old car?
  • Should I put this money into another, newer ES or SC?
When pondering the questions above, peek at my signature and consider the equipment already invested in this car.
Old 12-04-07, 03:21 PM
92ES5sp
Lexus Test Driver

Smile

Originally Posted by Slooooooow

Here's the current status and worklog/testlog:
  • checked the stering ecu - Pass
  • Inspected power steering hose for restriction - Pass
  • Inspected the idle up control valve; piston moves up and down freely - Pass
  • The power steering pump came out late Friday. Went ahead and move the 24mm nut that holds the flow control valve in place. The nut came off. Removed the flow control valve and inspect for clearance. They both move up and down freely. - Pass
  • Went ahead and got some fine grid sand paper and sanded it down. A typical problem on all of the Lexus pump. - Completed possible fix
  • System flushed and left overnight with the cap off to allow any air pockets to work slowly up. - Complete
  • Flow Control Valve inspected (pics to come). The valve is working and not stuck closed. - Pass
  • Everything back together Monday night - Complete
  • Removed the solenoid on the pump and inspected the screen. She is clean. - Pass
  • After sitting overnight, it did steer a little better,
    but, then hooked up the pressure gauge for cold and hot testing. During cold start it's not getting enough pressure. - UH OH
  • Power steering pump already confirmed good - Still a Pass
  • Testing now points to the seals on the rack and pinion. Due to age (and also likely corrosion from the prior power steering fluid leak) they're not sealing. - FAIL

Pictures:
Flow Control Valve
Flow Control Valves are on top. There are two of them. There is a spring under the control valve.

Yep. All signs point to requiring a new rack and pinion assembly. I'm posting this to share my sadness with an imminent back-breaking expense.
I'm also posting all of this in the hopes that it will help others diagnose and resolve any similar power steering issue they have.

What's your opinion?
  • Is it foolish to cough up this kinda cash for this part on a 15 year old car?
  • Should I put this money into another, newer ES or SC?
When pondering the questions above, peek at my signature and consider the equipment already invested in this car.
Not at all. I would replace the rack and if your inner tie-rods are bad youre killing 2 birds w/ one stone. If you cant afford to fix it then just let it ride i guess. When you had your hoses replaced was the system filled with Dexron ATF or generic P/S fluid?
Old 12-05-07, 07:47 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Unhappy

Originally Posted by 92ES5sp
Not at all. I would replace the rack and if your inner tie-rods are bad youre killing 2 birds w/ one stone. If you cant afford to fix it then just let it ride i guess. When you had your hoses replaced was the system filled with Dexron ATF or generic P/S fluid?
It was filled with the Dexron.

Well, after a night's sleep and a couple of phone calls on the subject, it's not looking good for the Boulevardier. Parts, installation, and alignment at the two most capable and trustworthy non-stealership Lexus shops are running ~$890ish and ~$1150ish + tax.

~$900:
  • would go nicely towards the purchase of another, newer ES, GS or SC (I'm really jonesin' for an SC300 to mod)
  • would take my Legacy GT to Stage Two easily (~300HP and severe sub-five second 0-60s)
  • would provide a NICE 10.2" monitor for the carputer project in my conversion van
  • would buy LOTS of nice chrome for my Harley-Davidson RoadKing Classic
Hmmm...or I could spend the ~$900 and continue to maintain a 15-year old car with other imminent needs like a paint job and an eventual engine replacement (tranny too?). At what point do I stop the bleeding and call a time-of-ownership-death, or should I even be thinking of all this money going into the ES as "bleeding"?

Help me out here ES brothers.

Last edited by Slooooooow; 12-05-07 at 08:24 AM.
Old 12-05-07, 09:56 AM
92ES5sp
Lexus Test Driver

Well Sloooooow thats a tough call to make, but if I were you I would fix the car for a couple of reasons.
1) Youve already invested a ton of cash modding it, as well as researching parts which I know took a lot of time due to the lack of aftermarket interest for the ES.
2) Your car is the first model year of the ES 300 anyway and besides its still worth a lot more than what it will cost to replace the rack.

Maybe I dont know anything but I would fix it. Good luck with your decision though and if you do decide to part with her stop by once in a while.

Graham
Old 12-05-07, 12:26 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah that is a very tough decision. but again, youve put yourself in a bind with too many ongoing projects from what seems like to me uncompleted. i dont know. the es is a great car, but you gotta do what you gotta do. btw, im so glad i didnt have problems like your car. i just bled my PS system a few days ago. i feel for you man. because i usually end up doing something, and come to find out, i need to go a longer route/few more days because of unforeseen obstacles. man, that really sucks. try some junkyards. and while youre at it, just rebuild the sucker. it seems that you have more than one vehicle.
goodluck
Charley
Old 12-09-07, 10:07 PM
92ES5sp
Lexus Test Driver

Smile

Any updates?
Old 12-09-07, 10:39 PM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

If you like the car and are wanting to keep it as a daily beater, then fix it up.

If you really do not need the car, I dont see any reason to fix it and keep it, you can sell it now and move on I guess.

Personally, if the car has not given many problems, mileage is decent for its age, and I like the car, Id fix it. Tough to let go I know. Goodluck with ur decision, Hope you make the choice that is right for you.
Old 12-11-07, 06:35 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

Originally Posted by 92ES5sp
Any updates?
Hey, you know I can't leave/lose my ES300. Regardless of it's age or "over-affordability" compared to the other Lexus lines, I'm just a fan of these cars, all gens, but especially the 2nd generation.

Now that I've got one that's 75% done mod-wise, there's no way I'm stopping short with it.

I drove it home and parked it in the garage. She'll have to sit there until mid February when I have the funds for taking care of it (I don't go into debt for ANYthing if it can be helped). After that it's back on track for completing the mod list:
  • Complete the exhaust system (updates on that in my exhaust thread)
  • I.C.E./Security
  • Signature Body Kit/Repaint
  • JDM part acquisition and replacement of USDM parts as possible
Besides, if I were to dump my beloved ES300 and move on to another car it'd be very hard to hang out here much and I'd miss all my ES300 bros.
Old 12-11-07, 08:07 PM
BadViper22
Lexus Test Driver

Slooooooow, you make me feel happy to own an ES.
I'm glad you've decided to keep her, I'm excited to see what comes next.
Old 12-12-07, 09:22 AM
Bottomsout
Driver School Candidate

To me it all depends how long you plan to keep the car, if its 1 yr or so no, but 2 or more then yes, I'd invest.
Old 03-03-08, 08:20 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

Yay! Dropped her off this morning at JPI for her new steering rack.

I've gotten so used to non-power steering when cold, and moderately-assisted-power steering after she's warmed up - I don't know what I'll do when it's back to the typical over-assisted Lexus steering feel.

Right now, the steering definitely sucks, but there's a nicer, rawer feel to it that I kinda like; it's a more sporty feel.

Oh well, I can't WAIT to get her back with her new - uh huh huh - RACK!

Quick Reply: Power Steering Issue (Pronounced with Cold/Lack of Use)