ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Seafoam clarification

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-07, 10:56 PM
Colpup ES3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seafoam clarification

i know this has been widely discussed and has been explained multiple times, but here is my attempt to answer some of my q's about the topic.

first off i have a 2000 es 300 with almost 70k miles and it pings a fair amount going up inclines and it feels pretty sluggish... so therefore im interested in seafoam to maybe help a little bit...

so is this what i do:
1. pour 1/3 can seafoam in shallow container
2. let this liquid be sucked up into the brake booster line when engine is on and preferably revving to prevent stalling
3. turn off engine (im guessing right after all the contents have been sucked up)
4. turn on engine after atleast 5-10 minutes, probably wont start very well
5. rev or drive until smoke dissapates keeping revs high in low gears preferably

also:
pour 1/3 can into plain gas tank (im guessing a full tank) and then drive normally for entire tank???

and also pour 1/3 can into oil and replace oil within a few days???

that is my interpretation of the instructions, is there any mistakes or advice that i missed? and also is pouring the seafoam in the oil and gas mandatory or is that just a minor thing compared to letting it be sucked up into engine
Old 11-08-07, 06:40 AM
MoreMGD32
Pole Position

replace oil within about 200-300miles...you want the seafoam to treat the engine before you change the oil.
Old 11-08-07, 10:33 AM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MoreMGD32
replace oil within about 200-300miles...you want the seafoam to treat the engine before you change the oil.
if i remember right, once the seafoam heats up in the oil, it basically does not do anything anymore.
you should keep idle low. let it sit for 10-15 mins. then start up. and let it idle.
also, when letting it get sucked up in the brake booster vacuum line, have your other hand ready to pull on the throttle cable because it will die. and once it dies and not everything is in, youll have a very difficult time get the car started and once you do, it will have combusted a majority of the seafoam. and the engine should be warm.
also, when i did this last time( have done it plenty of times) the car died out. so when i started it up and gassed it, it seriously destroyed all of my spark plugs. so dont let it die until it has sucked up all the seafoam.
goodluck
Charley
Old 11-08-07, 11:22 AM
Colpup ES3
Rookie

i charley wouldnt having some1 revving while pouring in the seafoam solve the stalling issue???
Old 11-08-07, 12:28 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recommend having 2 people. Its much less nerve wracking the first time. I did mine yesterday with a good friend of mine. He kept the RPMs around 1.5-2k and that was quite helpful

DON'T be scared when you turn off your engine after letting in the seafoam that it takes awhile to actually turn off. I thought I screwed up but it started fine in 10 mins.

Anyway, have fun with it. I found it quite fun. Best places to go up to 6k is on hills in my opinion. That way when you get there you slow down so you can do it again
Old 11-08-07, 05:55 PM
Colpup ES3
Rookie

thx for the advice, but now that i think about it i have trouble getting my car up past 4k rpms.

ive never actually floored it from a stop or anything but ive gotten pretty close and it will rev to about 4-4.5k rpm and then switch gears, same thing for 2nd gear as well. and this is after about 10-15 minutes of driving so the engine was warm... is this a problem or does the engine not go to redline unless floored
Old 11-10-07, 06:40 AM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, I wouldn't "rev it up" while the seafoam is being sucked up. However, I would warm the engine up to normal operating temperature before hand; a drive may be necessary before starting the procedure. Once it gets sucked up, turn off the motor for 10min or so. The motor seems to stutter when you turn it on, and especially when you start it up afterwards, but that's okay. (This was a bit nerve racking for me too)

On the drive afterwards, go ahead and put the selector lever in L and drive around in 1st gear. Holding the revs at 6000rpm is fine because you have previously warmed up the engine. If you need more speed (i.e the road permits it) then put it in 2 and run it up. 1st and 2nd gears should provide you with the revs and speed needed.