ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

should i remove this cheap chip? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-07, 10:30 AM
diamondlex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i remove this cheap chip? HELP

hi all. I've had my 94 es300 for a few years now and this chip has been there since I bought it. I'm pretty sure its one of the cheap ones from ebay that is supposed to trick your car into more hp. I havnt really had any problems with gas mileage and to me my car does pretty good (not sure of the numbers). Could I be getting better gas mileage if I removed this chip (yellow arrow in picture)? I'm afraid it might mess something up if i disconnect it. My car seems like its dragging a little and could have more power. It also cold starts very poorly and if I dont let it warm up to OT it will barely go anywhere. I've never changed the fuel filter and I'm thinking about doing that too. I'll also change the plugs and maybe the wires. Could someone also tell me what that rusty thing is cuz it looks like it could be replaced soon... (green arrow)? Thanks a lot.
Attached Thumbnails should i remove this cheap chip? HELP-for-cl.jpg  
Old 08-13-07, 11:02 AM
ivory98es3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From my experience with those things on Hondas - they are JUNK. If you take it off, the ECU will re-learn itself and restore your car back to normal.
Old 08-13-07, 12:11 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On several other car boards that I regularly read several folks have tried them and junked them.

Old 08-13-07, 06:47 PM
diamondlex
Driver School Candidate

thx i guess ill scrap it and reconnect the wires
Old 08-14-07, 12:56 AM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

pretty much total bull****.

it's a resistor in a box that makes the ECU think the IAT sensor is reading the air colder than it is, making it inject X amount more of fuel because the air would be denser.
however:
1) the engine is ungodly rich to begin with, it needs less fuel, or lots of normally aspirated mods... it can't burn what it naturally gets.
2) toyota's IAT sensor programming does almost nothing to the fuel trim. literally, makes no differance. you couldn't measure it with most tailpipe sniffers if you tried after afew seconds.

gotta buy a real piggyback if you want to play
smt6 is great. only thing that works consistantly on 1mz-fe's without being stupid expencive.

change the plugs, NGK or denso only. your wires are fine, you don't change wires on a COP/WS toyota... ever... unless the person working on the car breaks them. lol. the fuel filter is most likely fine, but whatever you want on that one.

take the BS resistor off & pull the EFI fuses for abit & put them back on. it wont reset stored codes, but it will reset the fuel trims to normal. and check your coolant temp sensor leads for the same dumb stuff. that actually makes a much larger differance in fuel tuning.
Old 08-14-07, 02:55 AM
maniax
Lexus Test Driver

the green arrow rusty thing is the EGR. dont think you need to worry much about that. mine is also that rusty.
Old 08-14-07, 06:48 PM
diamondlex
Driver School Candidate

you guys are the ****! Pheonix should win a nobel prize for his knowledge of these cars... youd get my vote . I'll definately disconnect it and re splice the wires right away. thanks
Old 08-14-07, 08:14 PM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pheonix
pretty much total bull****.

it's a resistor in a box that makes the ECU think the IAT sensor is reading the air colder than it is, making it inject X amount more of fuel because the air would be denser.
however:
1) the engine is ungodly rich to begin with, it needs less fuel, or lots of normally aspirated mods... it can't burn what it naturally gets.
2) toyota's IAT sensor programming does almost nothing to the fuel trim. literally, makes no differance. you couldn't measure it with most tailpipe sniffers if you tried after afew seconds.

gotta buy a real piggyback if you want to play
smt6 is great. only thing that works consistantly on 1mz-fe's without being stupid expencive.

change the plugs, NGK or denso only. your wires are fine, you don't change wires on a COP/WS toyota... ever... unless the person working on the car breaks them. lol. the fuel filter is most likely fine, but whatever you want on that one.

take the BS resistor off & pull the EFI fuses for abit & put them back on. it wont reset stored codes, but it will reset the fuel trims to normal. and check your coolant temp sensor leads for the same dumb stuff. that actually makes a much larger differance in fuel tuning.
Hmm so do they make a piggyback for the gen. 3 and what will it do for me
Old 08-14-07, 08:16 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

piggybacks are universal and they have different functions.
typically a good one will allow you to modify atlease ignition timing and base fueling via the main airflow sensor.
beyond that some allow modifying the o2 sensor signal, some actually piggyback the injectors themselves, some scale, or lock speed sensors.

etc etc you can do lots of things on some of them
Old 08-14-07, 09:30 PM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pheonix
piggybacks are universal and they have different functions.
typically a good one will allow you to modify atlease ignition timing and base fueling via the main airflow sensor.
beyond that some allow modifying the o2 sensor signal, some actually piggyback the injectors themselves, some scale, or lock speed sensors.

etc etc you can do lots of things on some of them
Hmm so what one would you recommend/recommened set up and what would it do for my hp