ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Timing Belt & Water Pump & Seals, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-21, 07:21 AM
Catanzaro
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Timing Belt & Water Pump & Seals, etc.

One of my pulleys is making a lot of noise. The mechanic has to determine the cause. I know they sell complete kits, from water pumps, belts, pulleys, etc.

Where should I look to pick up a whole kit? What brand is best? And where?

What is the book time on the service for everything? I was told like 5-6 hours, plus the seals. Is 8 hours a good estimate? Probably about $600 in labor and I saw something online for $250 for the kit (If I am looking at it correctly).

This mechanic is around $75 an hour, plus parts? Which is very fair in NJ. A shame, given the belt, was done in 2016 with 15,000 fewer miles? However, the Indy prior owner used IMO can not be trusted. I can just tell from his invoices, etc. He may have done nothing and charged her, so it is probably a good idea to have this done. This mechanic will give me back all the parts. Thank you.
Old 12-08-21, 08:48 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 749 Likes on 627 Posts

Hello,

It is normal for those cars to have some noise coming from the timing belt, here you can find an example of it. Before settling for a new belt, try taking the timing cover off to see what brand belts and pulleys you already have.

Aisin is an OEM supplier for Toyota, they are the most trusted among aftermarket kits you can find online. Rockauto sells the complete kit for about $150, which includes a belt, tensioner, all the pulleys and a water pump.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Last edited by Arsenii; 12-08-21 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12-08-21, 02:55 PM
frankymenz
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

+1 for Aisin, I’ve used that kit on my old 2000 Avalon, the part numbers and pullies matched what I took off, it was a Mitsubosha Timing belt, supposedly the OEM belt. I had zero problems, belly up and buy the Toyota seals, fel pro may leak after a few years, hopefully the mechanic has the cam seal installer tool, I bought it to do mine, I’ve done several without it and occasionally you can roll a seal lip during installation, I greased them up good to help install easier. The crank seal had less tension to remove and install, just grease it good to aid installation. I only use Toyota/Lexus oil seals and gaskets. Have learned the hard way on a few over the years, not worth it on that job. I did have a hell of a time getting the harmonic balancer bolt to break loose, I now have a bigger air compressor at home, lol. Frank
Old 12-08-21, 03:01 PM
glenpointe
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Catanzaro
One of my pulleys is making a lot of noise. The mechanic has to determine the cause. I know they sell complete kits, from water pumps, belts, pulleys, etc.

Where should I look to pick up a whole kit? What brand is best? And where?

What is the book time on the service for everything? I was told like 5-6 hours, plus the seals. Is 8 hours a good estimate? Probably about $600 in labor and I saw something online for $250 for the kit (If I am looking at it correctly).

This mechanic is around $75 an hour, plus parts? Which is very fair in NJ. A shame, given the belt, was done in 2016 with 15,000 fewer miles? However, the Indy prior owner used IMO can not be trusted. I can just tell from his invoices, etc. He may have done nothing and charged her, so it is probably a good idea to have this done. This mechanic will give me back all the parts. Thank you.
I replaced two vehicles last week. ES330 and RX300. Took about 2 hrs per vehicle. Very simple and you can do it yourself.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/32418138145...53.m2749.l2649
Old 12-08-21, 05:07 PM
Catanzaro
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Arsenii
Hello,

It is normal for those cars to have some noise coming from the timing belt, here you can find an example of it. Before settling for a new belt, try taking the timing cover off to see what brand belts and pulleys you already have.

Aisin is an OEM supplier for Toyota, they are the most trusted among aftermarket kits you can find online. Rockauto sells the complete kit for about $150, which includes a belt, tensioner, all the pulleys and a water pump.

This is the exact sound? Do you think it is a pully or belt? I would rather not spend the money and fix something that truly is not broken.

Old 12-08-21, 06:48 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 749 Likes on 627 Posts

Originally Posted by Catanzaro
This is the exact sound? Do you think it is a pully or belt? I would rather not spend the money and fix something that truly is not broken.
Yes, that is exactly what it sounds like, some say it is caused by the harmonics between belt and pulleys, others say it's because of the residue on the gears and pulleys from the old belt, there is no clear cut solution to this problem unfortunately.. The good news is that, while it is mildly annoying, it's pretty much harmless.

Best bet would be to take the timing cover off and verify what brand parts you have installed before going all out for a new kit, especially considering it only has 15,000 miles on it with a service interval of 80,000.

Old 12-09-21, 04:09 AM
Catanzaro
Pit Crew

Aresenii:

You said there is no clear-cut solution for this. Even if new pulleys and an OEM belt were to be changed and installed, you are saying the problem could not go away, or eventually come back? If so, it makes no sense to spend the $750-$1,000 for this repair.

I will probably wait until the spring and take the cover off and see what is going on. No need to fix something that is not broken. I doubt the Indy did not change the belt, but you never know with these mechancis. Thanks!