ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Tires that stay quiet

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-07, 11:52 AM
nomoon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tires that stay quiet

I bought a 2002 ES300 a few months ago with worn 16” Toyo Proxes TPT tires (215/60/16) that are extremely loud. Any roughness in the road surface seems to be greatly amplified. The wear seems to even, so I don't suspect that alignment is a factor. My Ford Expedition is quieter on rough surfaces. I’m shopping for replacement tires which will be quiet throughout their life. I’m not a sporty driver and I’m not worried about top notch handling characteristics. There’s also a rumor that extremely long life tires tend to be loud (because they are harder), so I’m willing to give up a little life in order to remain quiet. I’ve read accounts from others who have complained that their Toyo Proxes TPT’s started out very quiet, but got very loud after less than 10,000 miles. They apparently have great handling and longevity.

It seems that most tires are fairly quiet when new, but get louder as they age. I’ve seen lots of apparently conflicting tire reviews where the owners bash their old loud tires and laud their new quiet tires. However, some seem to have a reputation for getting loud faster than others. Reading reviews are maddening, because the reviews are very conflicting. Many of the opinions appear to be based on emotion rather than fact. I’d welcome comments and recommendations from anyone. I'm leaning towards the Michelin MXV4 tires, but I'm open minded. Here are some popular candidates:

Toyo Proxes TPT: My current loud tires. Great tires, except for a common complaint that they get loud.

Michelin MXV4+ or Michelin MXV4 S8. I think that the “S8” is a newer version of this tire. They are supposed to be good tires and most reviews (not all) claim that they are quiet.

Yokahoma AVS dB S2: These have a unique tread pattern that are designed to be quiet. I don’t know how long they remain quiet. I read a complaint that the outer tread became loud after wear. They seem to be harder to find, though I think that I can order them from my local mechanic.

Yokahoma Avid H4S: Some reviews claimed that they were quiet.

Bridgestone Potenza RE92: Some reviews complained that they got loud after minimal wear.

Bridgestone Turanza LS-H or LSV: Some reviews complained that they got loud after minimal wear.

Last edited by nomoon; 07-01-07 at 09:05 PM.
Old 07-01-07, 01:52 PM
Ariyanna
Lead Lap

I have the MXV4's and they are extremely quiet tires, so are the yokohoma xvid I used to have those on my alloy rims, now I have the MXV4's on my chrome 16inch 2001 ES300 rims on my 96 ES300
Old 07-01-07, 02:58 PM
92ES5sp
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Potenza RE92s Suck. They dont last.

Get either Turanzas or Firestone Affinity LH30s They will stay quiet.

Tires get loud as they age because people dont keep their wheels aligned, then the tread gets all chopped up. Youre supposed to get an alignment twice a year.

Last edited by 92ES5sp; 07-01-07 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-01-07, 04:48 PM
LEX ES300
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi nomoon,

I sounded just like you when I was looking for new tyres! I decided to go for the Goodyear Excellence tyres. I personally think it's a fantastic tyre that was specially designed towards luxury cars. It was also specifically designed to be smooth and quiet. They are fairly pricey though.

I recently upgraded my 15 rims to 17's and I was concerned that the ride would be affected with the larger rim and slightly lower profile tyre but thanks to the tyres there has been no loss in ride at all! In fact it's waaay better than before!

The tread pattern seems a little unusual - 3 tread pattern zones on one tyre but the ride is superb! Sorry, I couldn't upload a photo of the tread pattern. Check them out on the internet.

I have only had them for about a month so I can't say if they will get noisier with age but I don't think they will. They are certainly rated higher than the Turanzas.

That's my opinion! LEX ES 300
Old 07-01-07, 06:01 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

The AVS DB stayed pretty quiet for me...pricey though
Old 07-01-07, 06:07 PM
LCB@TDF
Rookie

we have some "republic" tires from discount tires on our es300... on the stock 16" wheels.

they're VERY quite, but they are a touring tire and not sporty in the least bit. i would never ever even think about running something like them on any of my other cars, but the lexus is just a big mommy-mobile anyways.
Old 07-01-07, 06:59 PM
shahir18
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Goodyear Assurance Comfortred/Tripletred.... i have the tripletred's, love the way it feels, handles, and sounds (very quiet). Much better than the factory equipped Michelin MXV4 Plus XSE
Old 07-01-07, 07:35 PM
92ES5sp
Lexus Test Driver

Smile

Not to sound rude but off brand cheap tires dont belong on a Lexus. Id at least invest in a set of decent tires. Even RE92s are better.

the lexus is just a big mommy mobile anyways.
Your ES 300 is a puffed out V6 Camry only its made in Japan on a real assembly line, with better parts.

A "mommy mobile" is a Dodge Caravan or Ford Escape. An ES 300 is a point a to b family car.
Old 07-01-07, 07:41 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On my 2002 ES300, I went with the Michelin Pilot Sport Exalto A/S. Better traction in rain and snow (not that you would get much snow) than the MXV4+ or S8, very quiet and less expensive than those two.

steviej

PS. go back and edit your post. Lexus never made a 2002 ES2002.

Originally Posted by nomoon
I bought a 2002 ES2002 a few months ago with worn 16” Toyo Proxes TPT tires (215/60/16) that are extremely loud.
Old 07-01-07, 10:20 PM
Instructor

Yokohama YK40s are ok.
Old 07-02-07, 11:14 AM
nomoon
Driver School Candidate

Default Toyo Versado LX

Thanks for all of the comments for far! I have confirmed that Michelin is discontinuing the MXV4+ and replacing it with the MXV4 S8.

Here is another tire that I am now considering:

Toyo Versado LX : Toyo has introduced this new tire which they claim:
Proprietary "Silent Wall" grooving and "Multi-Wave" technology help provide a quiet ride throughout tire life.
Another poster in clublexus quoted a report in autoweek mag which stated
Toyo Versado LX on a BMW 7 Series, road noise was almost nonexistent. Even with the radio muted, wind noise was predominant over anything emanating from the tires. Impact from road joints and raised Calif lane-devider markers were absorved with ease.
Old 07-03-07, 07:29 AM
LCB@TDF
Rookie

Originally Posted by 92ES5sp
Not to sound rude but off brand cheap tires dont belong on a Lexus. Id at least invest in a set of decent tires. Even RE92s are better.

Your ES 300 is a puffed out V6 Camry only its made in Japan on a real assembly line, with better parts.

A "mommy mobile" is a Dodge Caravan or Ford Escape. An ES 300 is a point a to b family car.
well, a 97 es300 is a cheap car anyways.

it's not like you're going to be tearing up any twisty roads in these boats.
Old 07-03-07, 06:19 PM
92ES5sp
Lexus Test Driver

Smile

a 97 ES 300 is a cheap car anyways.
Funny my ES 300 is 5 years older than yours and I cant find anything cheap about it.
They are not designed to. Point A to point B.
Old 07-03-07, 06:55 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Originally Posted by LCB@TDF
well, a 97 es300 is a cheap car anyways.

Originally Posted by LCB@TDF
Too bad. I am.

Oh well:
Old 07-03-07, 07:15 PM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

I had the Yokohama AVS dB S2's installed and they were great at everything except snow (yea all-season my ****). Oddly enough Tirerack doesn't seem to carry them anymore, but maybe search around. The grip was awesome and compensated somewhat for the soft suspension, there was barely any squeal even when they gave up grip, and the highway ride was real quiet. Unfortunately, it was a soft compound and wore out about as fast as any summer tire......I always got around 20k out of them even with rotations.

http://www.yokohamatire.com/TireIntro.asp?TireID=8

Quick Reply: Tires that stay quiet