ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

98 es300 antenna busted. HELP plz?

Old 06-05-07, 01:08 AM
mrmatty
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 es300 antenna busted. HELP plz?

hi guys, i'm new to this forum and have only found it recently. As the title states, something is wrong with my automatic antenna mechanism. It happened a few months ago and i've only recently gotten around to fixing it.

So in short, the serrated edge cable in my old antenna was broken and i unscrewed everything in the antenna mechanism, removed the broken bit and fed in a new antenna. That new antenna is NOT an OEM toyota/lexus antenna however and when i'm extending the antenna from the retracted position, at the top of the antenna (as far up as it will go), the antenna mechanism is still trying to push out more and more. This goes on for about 5-8 seconds after the antenna is at its highest. Now i measured my new antenna compared to my old one and the lengths are the same.

Could someone please tell me what's happening or how to fix it? without replacing the whole mechanism that is. thanx everyone
Old 06-05-07, 05:32 PM
92ES5sp
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

The load sensor in the motor is bad.
Replace the motor.
Old 06-05-07, 08:16 PM
argh
Driver

I thought '97 and up had no motorized antenna?
Old 06-05-07, 10:04 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1998 with a motorized antenna???

They're usually mounted in the rear window.
Old 06-06-07, 01:54 AM
mrmatty
Driver School Candidate

yes my car is a 98 model. But it's a right hand drive version, since i'm in Australia so maybe that can account for the difference?

No other suggestions aside from replacing the load motor??? would that require me to go back to lexus....and get charged a large premium or can i somehow acquire another load motor?

P.S. im thinkin the camry model would have the same antenna??? thanx for the replies
Old 06-06-07, 04:23 PM
Parker Gen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My antenna gets stuck as it almost reaches the top of it's extension. I'm assuming that's the motors fault, as you hear a grinding noise for about 5 seconds. It's not really a hassle it's just annoying. Really annoying. Is there any easy way to fix this or not? I'm thinking of just letting it do this grinding until it gets stuck totally and than I shall detacth the small motor from the antenna and remove it manually every time I want to listen to the radio (not that there's much good on here anyway!)
Old 06-06-07, 05:01 PM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

I think only the USDM ES300's have internal antennas.
Old 06-07-07, 02:04 AM
mrmatty
Driver School Candidate

yes, like Parker Gen, my antenna also makes a grinding noise up top, like the motor is continually trying to push out more. No ideas how to help this guys?

Getting desparate and seeing a few on ebay that aren't original....
Old 06-07-07, 08:21 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmatty
yes, like Parker Gen, my antenna also makes a grinding noise up top, like the motor is continually trying to push out more. No ideas how to help this guys?

Getting desparate and seeing a few on ebay that aren't original....
I had the same problem...loud grinding noise for about 10 seconds after the antenna mast was extended all the way up. I had replaced the OEM mast too and could not figure out why the new aftermarket mast made so much noise.
My solution was to start cutting a bit off the toothed cable of the mast (maybe half and inch at a time) and testing it by feeding it into the antenna and trying it to see if it still made noise when the mast was extended. It took several cuts and tests but eventually the noise stopped when the mast reached its fully extended position. To do this it's better to have two people - one to deal with the mast, and one to operate the radio power button to raise and lower the mast as needed. Probably took 45 minutes of cutting and testing to get the length just right. It's been going up and down fine now with no grinding noises for the last 3 months at least.

Last edited by Lexucan; 06-07-07 at 09:57 AM.

Search this Thread