ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

New Owner, Ga: 1995 Es300 project

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-07, 03:04 PM
vstolyarov
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner, Ga: 1995 Es300 project

I just got an automatic lexus 1995 es300, it needs a bunch of minor stuff fixed

gauge cluster needles burned out so I am shopping for a cluster,
whats the difference between 94-96 and 97-01 for these things, and most important will connectors fit, I am sure seats will just bolt in?
I want to get an aux out of the stock pioneer system, which sounds great for its age in my opinion, my car doesn't have cd player but all wiring is there, so i want to use my mp3 player. Is there a connector for that that can go onto cd player plugs?

The previous owner maintained the car well and got all oil changes done on time but i see some sludge where you put oil in on vavle cover, should i do engine flush? and with what? I am going to run it with mobil 1 10w30 for now.

What tires do you guys use, my rims are stock on 215/60/15, I need cheap but quality ones around $70, anyone tried fuzion?
i had them on my last car but the bigger size might produce road noise?

also the transmission jerks in reverse when engaged, it happens at 1500rpm when cold, is that normal at high idle?, the car shifts smooth going in drive. i am hoping its just motor mount

i also removed intake plenum b/c i saw how dirty throttle body was. i used carbon cleaner but it takes a while to get all stuff out and dissolve it. i am sure car was loosing horsepower b/c of dirty intake. its a good idea to change the spark plugs as you go.

you should really clean your throttle body and intake if your engine has more than 100k miles.

after cleaning

its not polished yet!

now with lexus dealership quoting pervious owner over ~$3000 just to do gaskets.

7/12/2005 pervious owner got some crazy estimates from a lexus dealer
rear main seal $1065
oil pan gasket $315
dip stick seal $55
oil filter housing $137
cam seals + timing belt + water pump $850
he had timing belt done like 10k ago and refused to do these except for the valve cover gasket which costed him $400.

I think half of the stuff listed can be stopped from leaking with seal conditioner and stop leak stuff. Some of the stuff dealer mentioned i can't even find leaking, he must have wanted to rip off the previous owner

The car has 164k miles now.

I found common wear out items start occuring at 150k which are
ignition
gaskets
transmission
sludge in the engine?
differential leaks

most of the oil leaks i saw were due to oil pans bolts being lose.
I'll have to drive the car to discover other ones.

just got some new seats 99 will update when they arrive
im getting a deal on fuzion tires, right now at tiresplus for $65 each 215/60/15 buy 3, one free. until march 31st
they are sporty tires like potenza. which i had before on my nx.

Intake part 2 B) cleaning intake some more

I am thinking of spraying some carb cleaner down the spark plug holes. but that might end up in my new oil.
Old 03-21-07, 05:40 PM
vstolyarov
Driver School Candidate

just poured some kerosene down the spark plug holes to remove piston carbon buildup and let it sit to dissolve everything, i plan to remove oxygen sensors and cranck the engine by hand to get the rest out, i am also replacing oil pan gasket
Old 03-21-07, 06:51 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

that won't remove the carbon buildup. It also removes any oil sitting on the rings & cylinder wall. the buildup is baked into & eats into the aluminum piston crowns. run some seafoam while it's hot, or better yet. water injection FTW.
knife edge behind the throttlebody & grind down the acis while it's out too.

i would flush the engine & transmission. flush the coolant & brake fluid also.

the only wear out item @ just 150,000m is the fuel filter, thermostat & pressure caps, and anything rubber that supports something mounts & bushings...

Unless you just want to hack up a set of output cables to attempt to work with the OEM headunit, it's not going to happen. The CD changer system uses a propriatery Pioneer input/output.
$70 a tire get's you in entry level goodyear's. don't cop out with other crap sold at the same price point

there is no reason to run 10w-30. it's 2007. run 5w-30, or 5w-20.

nothing can be fixed with a conditioner, or stop leak. only bad things come from them.

you own a 1995 Toyota Camry v6. lexus is just for pissing in marbel bathrooms. you no longer have any use, or buisness with them, save touch-up paint (which can be found elsewhere) LoL!

Everything on that list you are perfectly capible of doing over a weekend, or two for about $250-300 bucks save the rear main seal. Which atleast is the accessible one if you want to give it a shot while you're replacing the timing belt.
Old 03-23-07, 06:26 AM
vstolyarov
Driver School Candidate

Just got 99 coach edition seat!
It has more wiring/motors, more automatic, seat position control module, has airbag, and automatic lumbar support.

Last edited by vstolyarov; 03-23-07 at 06:41 AM.
Old 03-23-07, 06:56 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No expected fitment problems? Does your '95 have all the required connections to fully utilize that seat and its features? (I didn't see an answer to your questions about this from your first post) Where did you find the seat(s)?
Old 03-23-07, 06:58 AM
vstolyarov
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Slooooooow
No expected fitment problems? Does your '95 have all the required connections to fully utilize that seat and its features? (I didn't see an answer to your questions about this from your first post) Where did you find the seat(s)?
I have yet to find that out, but i did seat swaps before on other cars, i believe rails are perfect fit, i got the seat from junkyard
Old 03-23-07, 09:01 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey man instead of buying from tires plus you should go to www.tirerack.com they have some real good prices, and for $10 more a tire ($80 each) I got Bridgestone Potenza tires 205/65/15 or 205/60/15 ill have to double check. IMO they are friggin awesome tires and are pretty quiet for performance tires, awesome traction in dry/wet weather, thank God cuz its starting to rain alot here in Miami. Good luck with the car man looks like its gonna turn out real nice, keep posting pics as you go .
Old 03-23-07, 04:37 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You fit 99 seats in a 95...i gotta see this!
post pics
Old 03-24-07, 05:19 AM
jchrisf
Rookie

Originally Posted by TruPlaya26
Hey man instead of buying from tires plus you should go to www.tirerack.com they have some real good prices, and for $10 more a tire ($80 each) I got Bridgestone Potenza tires 205/65/15 or 205/60/15 ill have to double check. IMO they are friggin awesome tires and are pretty quiet for performance tires, awesome traction in dry/wet weather, thank God cuz its starting to rain alot here in Miami. Good luck with the car man looks like its gonna turn out real nice, keep posting pics as you go .
I agree.. I got kuhmo tires for my es for $44 a piece. Very good deal
Old 03-24-07, 05:56 AM
vstolyarov
Driver School Candidate

well i want free lifetime balance with tire purchase b/c i plan to keep the car for a while and thats why i go with tires plus.
Old 03-24-07, 07:08 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vstolyarov
well i want free lifetime balance with tire purchase b/c i plan to keep the car for a while and thats why i go with tires plus.
I think they have a plan like that available for like an extra $30, which also includes roadside assistance and tire replacement program. I dunno last time i went to tires plus they tried to rip me off, first they told me the tires on my car were discontinued and they tried to sell me higher priced tires, and then they tried adding on all kinds of different fees, ill never go there again .
Old 03-24-07, 07:21 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by tuan92129
You fit 99 seats in a 95...i gotta see this!
post pics
almost all Toyota seats swap. You can drop Celica, or MR2 seats in it if you wish.
Old 04-22-07, 03:26 PM
vstolyarov
Driver School Candidate

Current progress:
clayed and waxed

update:
the car is leaking some oil from what seems to be crankshaft seal
the leather was neglected so i plan to swap front seats, 97 es300 seats are much thinner, have different mounting points making them impossible to swap without welding and/or making new holes.
Old 04-23-07, 05:26 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

Then make new holes, or weld them in. No big deal.

Make sure it's really the main seal leaking before you dig that far down.
Old 05-13-07, 12:12 PM
vstolyarov
Driver School Candidate

did some 1992 es300 junkyard shopping today
a/c climate control bulb screw in 2 on the button and two in the middle
led light is integrated/welded from what i read

seats from 1992 i plan to swap the backrest to drivers seat, got them cheap

leather is soft and appears to be taken care of.

back of instrument cluster plan to replace needles

Quick Reply: New Owner, Ga: 1995 Es300 project