ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

S/C for 00 es300?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-07, 03:37 PM
Two bit
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S/C for 00 es300?

Was seeing some cars on cardomain, and saw that someone had brought to my attention that therem ight be a trd supercharger kit for the engine we have(1mfze or whatever is it). Has anyone encountered, installed, or had one installed on their car? Let me know, I really wanna mod this car out and be a part of this VIP but I'd rather get some engine buff before that. Thanks in advance fellas
Old 01-29-07, 04:57 PM
Smitty
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Two bit
Was seeing some cars on cardomain, and saw that someone had brought to my attention that therem ight be a trd supercharger kit for the engine we have(1mfze or whatever is it). Has anyone encountered, installed, or had one installed on their car? Let me know, I really wanna mod this car out and be a part of this VIP but I'd rather get some engine buff before that. Thanks in advance fellas
They make the TRD supercharger for the Camry. I asked the same question a while ago but I never recieved a for sure anwser. The V6 Camry and ES both have the same engine and chassie code. If I'm not mistaken the only difference engine wise is the timing (VVT-i). I'm not sure if timing would be an issue but I'd imagine it shouldnt be too big of a deal, especially if you were to swap out ECUs. At one point and time I considered maybe seeing about swaping out for a Camry engine and tranny and then boosting. Maybe Phoneix or someone else can chime in.
Old 01-29-07, 05:01 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

TRD blowers suck *** for alot of reasons. Same money get's you a turbo that makes more power safely. You can swap your intake manifolds to an earlier version so the TRD blower bolts up. But you'll have some ECU issues in the process. The same can be done for the 3mz-fe.
Old 01-29-07, 05:03 PM
Smitty
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Pheonix
TRD blowers suck *** for alot of reasons. Same money get's you a turbo that makes more power safely. You can swap your intake manifolds to an earlier version so the TRD blower bolts up. But you'll have some ECU issues in the process. The same can be done for the 3mz-fe.
But wouldnt you have to go custom Turbo with a 2000 ES? I dont think there's a turbo upgrade kit, is there?
Old 01-29-07, 06:15 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

Yes.
But it's not like the TRD blower doesn't require alot of custom hardware just to keep them from blowing up a month down the road.
Figure spending $1500 on an NIB blower kit. Then another $1500 in management solutions (fuel/ignition) to keep just the stock 4psi pulley from blowing your engine up.
^ and that's on a no-work compatible engine.

Why spend $2-3 grand on something that bearly makes more power than stock. makes an anemic powerband for what it is, and is flagarantly dangerous? For the same money, a turbo will provide a powerband start to finish that will stomp the crap out of the TRD blower, and in the case of the MZ blocks. Make atleast another 50 horsepower with the equivilant margin of safety.

TRD blower = death to the stock engine regardless of what you do by 320hp. Even if you leave them stock. A ton of engines have blown up & they only make 230hp on the new SAE charts (240hp). They max out completely on a non-rebuilt engine at right around 280hp. That's with more than a grand in custom headers included too!
Old 01-30-07, 12:12 AM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i like speed as well. but with so much hassle, forget it. think about it, you wanna go VIP, but that doesnt necessarily mean you have to be fast. tonight there was an evoVIII and 99-00 si trying to race against me, then a mustang popped up because they were trying to get everyone to race. but i said forget it man, once this car is done, im going back to a sports car. this is after all 1) a luxury vehicle 2) a sedan and 3)an FWD vehicle. if i dont race, which shouldnt bother anybody, it is because i am in a different car tuning category. mine isnt about speed. its aesthetics. form over function. i guess.
Charley
Old 01-30-07, 04:38 AM
Smitty
Pole Position

Originally Posted by charley240
i like speed as well. but with so much hassle, forget it. think about it, you wanna go VIP, but that doesnt necessarily mean you have to be fast. tonight there was an evoVIII and 99-00 si trying to race against me, then a mustang popped up because they were trying to get everyone to race. but i said forget it man, once this car is done, im going back to a sports car. this is after all 1) a luxury vehicle 2) a sedan and 3)an FWD vehicle. if i dont race, which shouldnt bother anybody, it is because i am in a different car tuning category. mine isnt about speed. its aesthetics. form over function. i guess.
Charley
Oh I totally agree with you. The ES is not built for speed but I was just curious. Besides if I wanna go fast I want to start with a good platform to boost off of.
Old 01-30-07, 05:21 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You're right... I noticed that the $2000+ SC kit for the Scion tC only adds 40 hp and doesn't really boos performance all THAT much
Old 01-30-07, 12:33 PM
Maxx941
Lexus Test Driver

As much as we all like to gain some 30+ hp somehow, a Turbo likely is the best bet. Pheonix is our ES god around this forum. He knows best.

I don't race my ES either. it's my Cruiser. I drive my S/C SLK for Fun

But I wouldn't mind a new exhaust from Tanabe if they finally release it soon
Old 01-30-07, 12:41 PM
Two bit
Pole Position

Note the tC is a 4 cyl not 6 like the ES so you really can't compare.
Old 01-30-07, 02:53 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

If you put on a turbo, keep it tuned surviveably, and keep the stock A/T's under the car.
You can easily have a highway nightmare for most things. the 320hp 'ish the 4speed A/T's will handle for alittlebit should be enough to throw one into low 13's. Possibly high 12's if you fired off a good run on slicks...
And all of these cars are old anyways. After abot 10 years, 100,000 miles it's time for a new suspension.
Struts, springs, mounts. Guess what? if you're gunna do it anyways. No reason you can't go more performance oriented. Now all you're missing is the steering feel.

Sports car? Sure, Sports coupe? No... Not unless you go grafting Camry Coupe body panels & rooflines on! hahahahahahahaha.

The 2az-fe supercharger is centerfugal. The 3.0L & 3.4L superchargers are M45 roots blowers.
Old 01-30-07, 04:13 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Two bit
Note the tC is a 4 cyl not 6 like the ES so you really can't compare.
Right I know, I was more commenting on TRD's superchargers than the engines
Old 01-30-07, 04:17 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

The 2az-fe supercharger is centerfugal. The 3.0L & 3.4L superchargers are M45 roots blowers.
That makes the turbo argument even stronger for my case. The roots-type superchargers are okay, but they generate a LOT of heat when you're pushing them. They eventually generate so much heat, they become very inefficient. The screw-type s/cs are much more efficient.

Now, which turbos have been successfully used on our cars with minimal fuss?