ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

ES300 W/TSX retrofit pics..

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-07, 04:10 PM
LXMN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last shot from up high. Shot all of these pics with a 2 megapixel Kodak. They are not that great, I admit. But it is all that I have since I am not a photo guy.
Attached Thumbnails ES300 W/TSX retrofit pics..-100_0830-small-.jpg  
Old 01-08-07, 04:39 PM
Maxx941
Lexus Test Driver

Lookin Good Man, Great Job

I think I will do a Retro myself
Old 01-08-07, 08:01 PM
truongsta8
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VERRRRRRRRRRRRRY NICEEEEEEEEE! Now i need to find someone that will have time to retrofit it for my car!! im sooo jealous rite now! arghhhh! lolz PROPS!
Old 01-08-07, 08:27 PM
LXMN
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for all of the positive guys. I appreciate it.
Old 01-08-07, 09:27 PM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

i'm jealous too! even though i did a retrofit too. your's looks way cleaner than mine. what K bulbs did you go with?
Old 01-08-07, 10:14 PM
LXMN
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ChrisES
i'm jealous too! even though i did a retrofit too. your's looks way cleaner than mine. what K bulbs did you go with?
I went with Phillips 85122+ which are supposed to be 5000k. I wanted that flicker effect. The cool part is that they are slightly bluish looking at them from the outside, but white with yellowish tinge looking out on the road from inside the car. Lights up the road very nicely. Way better than the 8000k I had plugged into the stock halogen lights. There was light scatter everywhere and they did not shoot out light that far or wide.
Old 01-09-07, 12:59 AM
Alexbenz
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

i have all my parts in and will be starting soon myself but few questions

how did you allign it?? did you put it on the car before you sealed it up? can you allign it once it's sealed?

how much are the mdx bezels? and that tsx projector looks different

what did you do to cover up the sides of the projector?
Old 01-09-07, 01:37 PM
LXMN
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Alexbenz
i have all my parts in and will be starting soon myself but few questions

how did you allign it?? did you put it on the car before you sealed it up? can you allign it once it's sealed?

how much are the mdx bezels? and that tsx projector looks different

what did you do to cover up the sides of the projector?
I wrapped the projectors with some aluminum tape that I found in Home Depot. It looks like Reynolds wrap but has a sticky backing (very durable). The bezels came with two sets of MDX headlamps that I bought on EBAY. I wanted the bezels and found them to be reasonably priced as a whole unit. I also got to practice my oven baking technique this way (Did the same for both TSX headlamps-bought them both as headlamp assemblies, then took them apart.
You can align the projector once it is sealed up. You use the existing aiming bolts the same way you would aim your halogens. I cut into the center of the headlamp using the reflector lines as a centering guide. Then eyeballed the fitment as best I could before bolting them in. Make sure to use tape or threadlock on the nuts so that they will remain in place later on. A safer method is to dry fit them on the car without the plastic lenses so that alignment is 100%. Adjustment this way is better in my opinion, just something I thought of after the project was done.
Once you cut into the reflective housing, there is no turning back. So make sure you have a solid game plan mapped out as to how you want to go about doing your project.

Note the 3 arrows inside the reflector. You cannot drill 4 holes, as the 4th is where the vertical mounting screw attaches. You will only be able to use 3 bolts, but it should provide adequate stability.
Attached Thumbnails ES300 W/TSX retrofit pics..-100_0811-small-.jpg  

Last edited by LXMN; 01-10-07 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-09-07, 05:27 PM
ES BL155
Pole Position

looks clean, good job
Old 01-09-07, 06:24 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Lights came out great...
Old 01-10-07, 12:01 AM
Alexbenz
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LXMN
I wrapped the projectors with some aluminum tape that I found in Home Depot. It looks like Reynolds wrap but has a sticky backing (very durable). The bezels came with two sets of MDX headlamps that I bought on EBAY. I wanted the bezels and found them to be reasonably priced as a whole unit. I also got to practice my oven baking technique this way (Did the same for both TSX headlamps-bought them both as headlamp assemblies, then took them apart.
You can align the projector once it is sealed up. You use the existing aiming bolts the same way you would aim your halogens. I cut into the center of the headlamp using the reflector lines as a centering guide. Then eyeballed the fitment as best I could before bolting them in. Make sure to use tape or threadlock on the nuts so that they will remain in place later on. A safer method is to dry fit them on the car without the plastic lenses so that alignment is 100%. Adjustment this way is better in my opinion, just something I thought of after the project was done.
Once you cut into the reflective housing, there is no turning back. So make sure you have a solid game plan mapped out as to how you want to go about doing your project.
thanks for the heads up.......

i looked on ebay but couldn't find any.......i bought some rings frim ace hardware that some people sugguested......but i like the look of the mdx ones......where can i get a pair?
Old 01-12-07, 01:38 PM
Two bit
Pole Position

how much was this and did you do it yourself?
Old 01-12-07, 02:24 PM
LXMN
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Two bit
how much was this and did you do it yourself?
Bought the projectors for $90.00, lights and ballast for $250.00, extra set of headlights (in case I screwed up) for $200.00, misc. items (tape, jb weld, screws for around $10.00, bezels came with headlights at $85.00.

A little too much in my opinion. And yes, I did it all myself (mentioned in the first sentence in the first post of this thread).

Of course, now I have another set of halogen OEM headlights and a pair of MDX projectors that I might play with. Since this project turned out so good, I might try another one. My wife says she won't mind if I do the minivan. Not too many vans out there with HID.
Old 03-01-07, 08:43 AM
LXMN
Lexus Test Driver

I have had a few questions about the headlights.
Old 03-01-07, 09:52 AM
mbud
Driver

I loveeeee it! You're lights look incredible!... I love when people do this, they're not scared to take a chance and it really makes the car look so nice!

Good Job!!

Quick Reply: ES300 W/TSX retrofit pics..