ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2001 ES300 Woodgrain Steering Wheel Upgrade...Pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-06, 04:23 PM
vassey50
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 ES300 Woodgrain Steering Wheel Upgrade...Pics

Happy Holidays CL, well I finally found the time to post some pics of my newest upgrade. And after searching for over 18 months for this steering wheel, let me just say I am very pleased The upgrade was to a tan, leather steering wheel with wood trim for my ’01 ES. My ES only had the original tan, leather steering wheel, without the wood trim. Being in Canada and having limited access to decent used parts for Lexus models, I must have talked to about 25 different American suppliers, countless hours on Ebay and the odd US dealer(for price comparison) My local dealer originally quoted me some $4800 plus for a brand new wheel, to which I swiftly told them to keep it. And even if I did want one, apparently there was only one in North America to be had at that time! Just silliness. So from some help from American salvage yards and CL members, it finally arrived at my door.

It’s funny, b/c when it came I didn’t want to open the box. I didn't want to be disappointed. This was b/c when I bought the wheel online from the yard he couldn’t send any pics, he just told me it was in good condition. And to be honest I wasn’t 100% sure that the color code was matched for either the tan leather or the dark (versus the lighter) woodgrain. . However, they said they had pulled it from an ES that just came in and that it had the tan interior. Long story short, I said ##@@ it, after this long a search it was close enough from his description. And considering the price was 1/25th of what my dealer originally quoted me, it was done.

So I finally opened the box and to my surprise was an immaculate tan, leather wheel with the nice trim The leather was flawless and the wood trim had some very minor cracks in the varnish, barely visible even up close. Either way, as close to a new wheel as I was going to get without actually buying a new one. Wheel's in, looks awesome and feels even better. One more mod done and countless more to go.

I also want to say thanks to some CL members that helped with the info on compatibility, color coding etc. Notably lexusk8 and Leets. Thanks for your help, awesome CL members and know a lot about the ES’s. Thanks to Pchaser too for the heads up on some on Ebay lately. Cheers guys. Here are the pics.

The pics make it seem that the woodgrain is light, but is in fact the dark Burlwood trim and not the lighter Coach trim.

From the inside

From the outside

Happy New Years!!
V

Last edited by vassey50; 12-29-06 at 08:30 AM. Reason: mispelling
Old 12-26-06, 08:43 PM
draikonz
Driver

wow...that steering wheel looks clean as hell....nice pickup!!
Old 12-26-06, 09:01 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Glad to have you helped out with the steering wheel info vassey, and congrats on picking up and installing your long lost treasured mod! Looks awesome, and just looking at the interior reminds me of how much my interior looked like when I first got the ES
Old 12-28-06, 12:53 PM
Pchaser
Driver

nice man ...looks good!!

I still havent installed mine yet, been kinda busy + ...Im just lazy
Old 12-28-06, 09:28 PM
lexsterES
Pole Position

Very nice upgrade!!! It looks awesome!!! That’s on my list as well.....
Old 02-13-14, 07:57 AM
HAYTHAM86
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vassey50
Happy Holidays CL, well I finally found the time to post some pics of my newest upgrade. And after searching for over 18 months for this steering wheel, let me just say I am very pleased The upgrade was to a tan, leather steering wheel with wood trim for my ’01 ES. My ES only had the original tan, leather steering wheel, without the wood trim. Being in Canada and having limited access to decent used parts for Lexus models, I must have talked to about 25 different American suppliers, countless hours on Ebay and the odd US dealer(for price comparison) My local dealer originally quoted me some $4800 plus for a brand new wheel, to which I swiftly told them to keep it. And even if I did want one, apparently there was only one in North America to be had at that time! Just silliness. So from some help from American salvage yards and CL members, it finally arrived at my door.

It’s funny, b/c when it came I didn’t want to open the box. I didn't want to be disappointed. This was b/c when I bought the wheel online from the yard he couldn’t send any pics, he just told me it was in good condition. And to be honest I wasn’t 100% sure that the color code was matched for either the tan leather or the dark (versus the lighter) woodgrain. . However, they said they had pulled it from an ES that just came in and that it had the tan interior. Long story short, I said ##@@ it, after this long a search it was close enough from his description. And considering the price was 1/25th of what my dealer originally quoted me, it was done.

So I finally opened the box and to my surprise was an immaculate tan, leather wheel with the nice trim The leather was flawless and the wood trim had some very minor cracks in the varnish, barely visible even up close. Either way, as close to a new wheel as I was going to get without actually buying a new one. Wheel's in, looks awesome and feels even better. One more mod done and countless more to go.

I also want to say thanks to some CL members that helped with the info on compatibility, color coding etc. Notably lexusk8 and Leets. Thanks for your help, awesome CL members and know a lot about the ES’s. Thanks to Pchaser too for the heads up on some on Ebay lately. Cheers guys. Here are the pics.

The pics make it seem that the woodgrain is light, but is in fact the dark Burlwood trim and not the lighter Coach trim.

From the inside

From the outside

Happy New Years!!
V
I going exactly through the same thing!! I have a 97 es
I live in AB, Canada. Parts are limited here the dealer is crazy.
Can you please put me on the track or even give me that yard phone number????

I will DEEEPLY DEEPLY appreciate it!!!!
The following users liked this post:
LexLugar99 (04-22-17)
Old 02-13-14, 01:13 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,702 Likes on 2,287 Posts

What colour is your interior? I have a black leather/walnut wheel I'm willing to sell, PM me if interested. I'm in Calgary BTW so convenient for you. The beige leather wheels are the hardest to find in my experience.
Old 02-17-14, 02:26 AM
HAYTHAM86
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
What colour is your interior? I have a black leather/walnut wheel I'm willing to sell, PM me if interested. I'm in Calgary BTW so convenient for you. The beige leather wheels are the hardest to find in my experience.
http://www.4shared.com/photo/dmXRcsb...14_145758.html

I deeply hope its the same.. Cause being in Calgary is extremely convenient.
If it good .. Pm pictures to my facebook account: Haytham Yusef
Thanks previously!
Attached Thumbnails 2001 ES300 Woodgrain Steering Wheel Upgrade...Pics-img_20130714_145758.jpg  
Old 02-17-14, 06:05 AM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

that looks like the Sage interior. I do have a my original Sage/Walnut wood wheel off the car as I changed all my wood to the Maple, I would consider selling it...PM me if you are interested.
Old 02-17-14, 09:37 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,702 Likes on 2,287 Posts

The wheel I have is black leather so won't help you, sorry.
Old 11-24-15, 08:54 PM
Tony2Carte
Rookie

I'm looking to purchase a tan/wood. I'm in Atlanta if anyone has one they are looking to sell PM me. Thanks
Old 11-25-15, 11:35 AM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks exactly like the wheel that came on my car (platinum edition)

Looks clean! Good find.

Is that a Walnut Finish? Looks like your center console trim parts are in Walnut, cause it looks darker than what I got which is Maple.

looks like you got the adjustable shocks, that's nice too.

I'm so glad I got the platinum edition otherwise I'd be looking for parts like you guys, lol.
Old 04-21-16, 06:07 PM
redsworld
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
The wheel I have is black leather so won't help you, sorry.
I am looking for 01 es300 black leather and dark wood grain steering wheel
Old 04-25-16, 10:25 PM
joelgeg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Power6
that looks like the Sage interior. I do have a my original Sage/Walnut wood wheel off the car as I changed all my wood to the Maple, I would consider selling it...PM me if you are interested.
Hey do you still have the steering wheel sage/wood?

How much?

Im at 33195 FL