ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

New owner, no master key...help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-06, 09:41 AM
daveg243
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner, no master key...help!

Just bought a 2000 ES300 Platinum Edition but only received the valet key. Local Lexus dealer tells me I need a new computer and they charge $1500 for it. I called Lexus directly and they said they'd send me the computer free if I was the original owner only. Is it possible to "flash" the current engine computer and cut new keys? I'd make a spare valet key but it seems I need a master key even to do that. Any advice?
Old 10-30-06, 02:26 PM
MangoMan
Driver

Yes unfortunatley the dealer will tell you, you need a new computer or ECM. The master key is required as it hold the info to program other keys. What they do is they get a new computer with a master key and then you can program other keys with the master. Without the master your kinda up a creek. Who sold you this without telling you? I would check with this guy before anything http://www.toy-lex.com/index.html email him with the info and ask if you have any other options! Here is his direct email ohiovalleylocksmith@comcast.net. Good luck mate! Also check here! http://www.toy-lex.com/cloning.html
Old 10-31-06, 08:15 AM
daveg243
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the advice.. I'm gonna call them
Old 10-31-06, 03:04 PM
platinumLS
Driver School Candidate

Default are you serious

what ever lexus dealer told u that has had to been smokin some they dont have to buy anything i work for lexus im tellin u what u need to do go to the lexus dealer and ask them to make u a master key from ur valet should be around 130 bucks with ur valet key they are able to program the master key with the scan tool that dealer that u spoke to are liers and give good dealers like mines a bad name..there is no ecu of any kind needed once u have a key for the car if u had no key then they would have to do what they told. but u have a key so what they told u is b.s...take it from me i do it for a living.. i wish u where near me ill do it for u free bro..
Old 11-01-06, 05:02 AM
daveg243
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by platinumLS
what ever lexus dealer told u that has had to been smokin some they dont have to buy anything i work for lexus im tellin u what u need to do go to the lexus dealer and ask them to make u a master key from ur valet should be around 130 bucks with ur valet key they are able to program the master key with the scan tool that dealer that u spoke to are liers and give good dealers like mines a bad name..there is no ecu of any kind needed once u have a key for the car if u had no key then they would have to do what they told. but u have a key so what they told u is b.s...take it from me i do it for a living.. i wish u where near me ill do it for u free bro..

Thanks. But the local locksmith told me the same thing. Maybe they don't have a clue... so I'll investigate this some more. They told me that the valet key is write only so you cant transfer its info to other keys... only the master key info can be extracted / cloned.
Old 11-01-06, 09:45 AM
Pchaser
Driver

Lexus dealers are brainwashed into thinking their technology is superior & cant be duplicated
in your case im not sure about the valet situation

when i had my GS they said no one can make a spare key for me & i had to get it from them, I laughed in their face & pulled out a business card from the shop i was going to & said call them they transponder keys for every car made exept BMW & Benz
u must bring 2 master keys or if u dont have (which u dont)
u must bring 1 key & the car
BTW if u want a real Lexus Logo key (instead of that ugly generic key) get key cut @ dealer then get it programed at the locksmith

since ur in NJ

its Reliable
973-674-7667
East Orange NJ

their other location is
973-515-5200
East Hanover NJ

FYI even the locksmith in some Home Depots make transponder keys
Old 11-01-06, 10:01 AM
Pchaser
Driver

if that doesnt work here are 2 options u can do

cheapest option

1. get 2 master keys cut @ dealer (no programing needed)
get an alarm with remote start installed
(they will have to put the valet key in a special transponder box in order to make the remote start work)
then u will be able to use keys that are not programmed because the transponder signal will always be active in the car

cost about $300

2. go to car-part.com look up 2001 ES300 ignition & buy a ignition switch with a master key & ECU with it

cost about $200-$500 + installation
Old 11-01-06, 02:24 PM
daveg243
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the advice! I'm thinking I might buy 2 master keys from this ebay seller http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNCUT...spagenameZWD1V

Then have it cut at the dealer or locksmith. Supposedly I can get a new ecu from Lexus for free if the original owner never had it replaced. This was told to me by my local dealer, but said I need to provide him with the title which doesnt arrive from the DMV for a few weeks. Figured registration / insurance was sufficient but was turned away....

Plan B was get the keys and have the locksmith flash my ecu and use the ebay keys.

Pchaser thanks for the idea...but wouldn't the car shut off if I put in the unprogrammed key in the ingnition switch? I thought the remote ignition is canceled once you touch the brake/change into gear etc... am I wrong?
Old 11-01-06, 08:55 PM
Pchaser
Driver

Originally Posted by daveg243
Pchaser thanks for the idea...but wouldn't the car shut off if I put in the unprogrammed key in the ingnition switch? I thought the remote ignition is canceled once you touch the brake/change into gear etc... am I wrong?
it wont shut off because the key will be cut to that ignition so as long as key in ignition is turned to the "on" position before you touch the brake or shifter, car wont cut off & the car will keep running because the valet key will always be sending a signal to ecu

good luck
these security features on our cars today are great but at the same time a hassle when u have a problem