ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

my ES300 on SC430 wheels :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-06, 10:23 PM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts
Default my ES300 on SC430 wheels :)

Name:  OMG.jpg
Views: 3544
Size:  115.9 KB

what do you guys think? i think it needs a drop.
Old 03-05-06, 10:55 PM
kdogg
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks pretty SICK! What size rubbers are those?
Old 03-06-06, 12:57 AM
chrispy

225/40/18
Old 03-06-06, 08:19 AM
papachino
Pole Position

it looks like robocop
Old 03-06-06, 09:20 AM
maniax
Lexus Test Driver

very nice.....now get rid of the potpie caps
Old 03-06-06, 09:27 AM
Two bit
Pole Position

Pretty nice, Im lookin to get the stock 5 spoked wheels. do you have your set left over? or was it the splitted 3 spoked? I hate my splitted ones :-\

It's either get the stock 5 stars, or go all out and get suspension and the auto couture supreme br's in 18s

wat you think?
Old 03-06-06, 10:52 AM
chrispy

Originally Posted by Two bit
Pretty nice, Im lookin to get the stock 5 spoked wheels. do you have your set left over? or was it the splitted 3 spoked? I hate my splitted ones :-\

It's either get the stock 5 stars, or go all out and get suspension and the auto couture supreme br's in 18s

wat you think?
actually when i got the car i had aftermarket chrome 5 spokes already on the car. i don't know what brand they were but the chrome was corroding so i had to get rid of them. your decision is a BIG difference in price so i guess it depends on your financial situation.
Old 03-06-06, 11:01 AM
blux
Pole Position

I have the same wheels on my 96 but with the stars, they are pretty sweet! I put some spacers in the back to widen out the look, but I had to roll my fenders..

I would reccomend just dropping the front to match the back. As you can see in the picture the back sags already, the front looks high. I dropped the front of mine 2" and left the back stock.

This makes the front even out with the back, if not sit a little lower.

I am really happy with the wheels and drop on mine, it handles like a dream especially around tight bends..

Unfortunetly I just got in an accident, and my front passenger wheel got pretty screwed up!

Fortunetly the insurance guy is hooking me up with a new wheel...

That, and a new hood, fender, bumper cover, headlight, grill and paint..

Kind of sucks that I just did a valeo retrofit... hmm..

had to get that off my chest!

DRIVE CARFULLY GUYS!

Brad
Old 03-06-06, 11:28 AM
Maxx941
Lexus Test Driver

I'd like to see another picture from the side to see how bad it gaps, otherwise looks good
Old 03-06-06, 11:50 AM
Two bit
Pole Position

not sure what Im going to do yet, I wanna get some supreme BR-s from auto couture, and possibly get Ksports but i dunno yet.
Old 03-06-06, 11:53 AM
chrispy

my struts are terrible. i have a set in my garage ready to go on but i need to find some time to do it. the rear is a good height already but the front has too much wheel gap. it rubs like crazy because my struts are so messed up. do you guys know if i can just buy lowering springs for the front?
Old 03-11-06, 06:46 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Not sure if you can just buy just the fronts. I've been looking/shopping for new struts/springs but during the search all I saw was a set of 4 no matter where I looked. I would say take a peep at tirerack.com and double check and see if they let you get the springs in singles. If so, I hear the Tein S type are close to stock ride. What kind of struts do you have now?

Congrats on the wheels by the way. I've had my set for over a year now on the 99 ES Coach Ed. With a good suspension setup, you'll love them even more. The handles much better with them on as well (without any suspension upgrade). What tires did you grab and did you use spacers on the back? If not, slap in some 5mm spacers on the rears ASAP or you'll rub when you have passengers or cargo back there (not fun)

As for me, I'm in the process of swapping out my struts (82K miles) and adding in a TRD Rear Sway bar plus installing a strut tower brace on the front so I can have superb handling. I miss that new car feel since my struts are on their last leg (making bogging soungs when I hit bumps). What about you...what's your goal with your wheel/suspension setup?

Last edited by tiguy99; 03-11-06 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-11-06, 11:27 PM
chrispy

Originally Posted by tiguy99
Not sure if you can just buy just the fronts. I've been looking/shopping for new struts/springs but during the search all I saw was a set of 4 no matter where I looked. I would say take a peep at tirerack.com and double check and see if they let you get the springs in singles. If so, I hear the Tein S type are close to stock ride. What kind of struts do you have now?

Congrats on the wheels by the way. I've had my set for over a year now on the 99 ES Coach Ed. With a good suspension setup, you'll love them even more. The handles much better with them on as well (without any suspension upgrade). What tires did you grab and did you use spacers on the back? If not, slap in some 5mm spacers on the rears ASAP or you'll rub when you have passengers or cargo back there (not fun)

As for me, I'm in the process of swapping out my struts (82K miles) and adding in a TRD Rear Sway bar plus installing a strut tower brace on the front so I can have superb handling. I miss that new car feel since my struts are on their last leg (making bogging soungs when I hit bumps). What about you...what's your goal with your wheel/suspension setup?

hey tiguy, good to see you in this thread. you're the one who inspired me to put these wheels on. yeah, after i got them on i could feel my car handle better even without an upgraded suspension. i'm at 186k miles on stock struts i think. they're terrible. i have a set of KYB's in the garage waiting to be installed but i want to get some lowering springs and install it all at once. and yes, i had the 5 mm spacers on each side like you told me to. when the mechanic had the car lifted, the wheels were less than an inch away from the strut. it rubs like crazy with anyone in the back so i haven't been allowing any passengers until i get the struts replaced. oh yeah, my tires are goodyear essenzas in 225/40/18. got them on ebay for 200 a set, not sure about the quality but i do a lot of driving so i don't care that much.

as for my suspension goals, i think i want to replace the struts and find a cheap set of tein s-techs and leave it alone for a while.
Old 03-11-06, 11:47 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ChrisES
hey tiguy, good to see you in this thread. you're the one who inspired me to put these wheels on. yeah, after i got them on i could feel my car handle better even without an upgraded suspension. i'm at 186k miles on stock struts i think. they're terrible. i have a set of KYB's in the garage waiting to be installed but i want to get some lowering springs and install it all at once. and yes, i had the 5 mm spacers on each side like you told me to. when the mechanic had the car lifted, the wheels were less than an inch away from the strut. it rubs like crazy with anyone in the back so i haven't been allowing any passengers until i get the struts replaced. oh yeah, my tires are goodyear essenzas in 225/40/18. got them on ebay for 200 a set, not sure about the quality but i do a lot of driving so i don't care that much.

as for my suspension goals, i think i want to replace the struts and find a cheap set of tein s-techs and leave it alone for a while.
Hey Chris its good to know that my ES inspired you. As much crap as I went through with Pep Boys just to get them installed its good to know that out of that experience something positive came about lol. Thanks for the kudos! As for me, I was inspired by Frankwhite and Nixsun79 who both offered assistance when I had questions etc. How's the gas mileage been since you installed them?

As for me I need a tune up/Service bad (82K miles)! I bought the car from a used dealer here in Chicago for a good price and 71K miles a year ago but from the condition of things now I can tell they just patched a few things up that need repair/replacement (i.e struts) and ignored the 60K service. Things like replacement of spark plugs and some filters/cleanings and 60K mile service items need to be addressed in order for me to give me final gas milage #s.

I know mine went down a tiny bit because of the wheels added weight (they're heavy as hell lol). The mistake I made was buying used Solara OEM struts (off Ebay with supposively 30K on them...yeah right lol) which also crapped out on me not even a year after professional installation.

I just picked up the KYB-GA2s today new on Ebay (237 plus 28 shipping) because I got tired of the ridiculous prices on OEM struts from various places and it made sense to grab the KYBs.

My plan is to use these, along with the S-Type Tein Springs. I've found a pretty good source for the Tein S-Type Springs

http://www.k2motor.com/sd-te-skl16-aub00.html

which will lower the car about 1.5 for a cleaner look yet keep the stock ride (something I've heard from a few members on this board). I also plan on installing the TRD sway bar Ive located online for about 150ish here

http://www.trdsource.com/

and will put them in with my new brakes and the strut tower brace (I also have) at the end of the month and call it a day.

Sorry for such a long post but after a few weeks of looking into this I've come to the conclusion that this is probably the best setup we can do for our ES to get new BMWish kind of handling. To me its worth it. What's your suspension outlook?

Last edited by tiguy99; 03-11-06 at 11:54 PM.
Old 03-12-06, 12:18 AM
chrispy

Originally Posted by tiguy99
Hey Chris its good to know that my ES inspired you. As much crap as I went through with Pep Boys just to get them installed its good to know that out of that experience something positive came about lol. Thanks for the kudos! As for me, I was inspired by Frankwhite and Nixsun79 who both offered assistance when I had questions etc. How's the gas mileage been since you installed them?

As for me I need a tune up/Service bad (82K miles)! I bought the car from a used dealer here in Chicago for a good price and 71K miles a year ago but from the condition of things now I can tell they just patched a few things up that need repair/replacement (i.e struts) and ignored the 60K service. Things like replacement of spark plugs and some filters/cleanings and 60K mile service items need to be addressed in order for me to give me final gas milage #s.

I know mine went down a tiny bit because of the wheels added weight (they're heavy as hell lol). The mistake I made was buying used Solara OEM struts (off Ebay with supposively 30K on them...yeah right lol) which also crapped out on me not even a year after professional installation.

I just picked up the KYB-GA2s today new on Ebay (237 plus 28 shipping) because I got tired of the ridiculous prices on OEM struts from various places and it made sense to grab the KYBs.

My plan is to use these, along with the S-Type Tein Springs. I've found a pretty good source for the Tein S-Type Springs

http://www.k2motor.com/sd-te-skl16-aub00.html

which will lower the car about 1.5 for a cleaner look yet keep the stock ride (something I've heard from a few members on this board). I also plan on installing the TRD sway bar Ive located online for about 150ish here

http://www.trdsource.com/

and will put them in with my new brakes and the strut tower brace (I also have) at the end of the month and call it a day.

Sorry for such a long post but after a few weeks of looking into this I've come to the conclusion that this is probably the best setup we can do for our ES to get new BMWish kind of handling. To me its worth it. What's your suspension outlook?
i got a great deal on a set of camry KYB struts on ebay for 150. and i'm probably going to buy the s-techs too. my gas mileage didn't seem to change too much but i've been getting terrible mileage either way. my car needs a tune up as well. i get 21 mpg if i'm lucky with mostly highway. since i daily drive this car and commute to school, i want a comfortable ride and that's about it. at 186k miles, i just need this car to last.

Quick Reply: my ES300 on SC430 wheels :)