ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Fixing the Radio LCD

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-11, 06:48 AM
Spimley
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fxexplorer
Dear Woogie,

Many kind thanks for posting these clear, pictorial instructions for replacing a failed LCD!!!

I replaced it on my 1998 Lexus ES300 in 1hr & 20 min. This is the first time I worked on a car and it went smoothly, except that I lost one bolt--it fell into the hole beneath the A/C console. It is such joy to have a working LCD so that I can actually see which CD or radio station is playing.

Some of my local dealers do not know that just this part is replaceable. They consider the radio a sealed unit. One dealer quoted me $2,000 for a new radio! I spent hours searching for alternative solutions until I came across this information, first as reference to your post and than finally your original post.

Thank you, thank you, again and again, for passing on this info!!

Best wishes to you.
oh, the dealers know for sure that its replaceable but it doesn't makes sense for them for two reasons... 1) its not failproof, 2) its not as profitable and not failproof.

a new radio is easy labor for a qualified mechanic and its reasonably failproof so they won't have to talk to you about that radio for a long time again ! Selling you a new radio includes lots of profit so its a win win for them.

I'll give you an example, I rebuild and sell a jetski about 3 or 4 times a year and I recently I picked up 6 engines for parts dirt cheap. I really really needed to get a good 5 gallon bucket of parts cleaner, not the cheap stuff, the good dealer stuff, so I called my lexus/foreign car mechanic (small independent shop) and asked him if maybe he could order me a bucket and help me out, and he said... "parts cleaner?" and I said ya,, and he said, "just use carb cleaner it will be fine" , and I said... nooooooo, I want a bucket of stuff to soak parts in, he had never heard of it and suggested autozone. In other words, he replaces things, he doesn't fix them.

When it breaks, a dealer or mechanic replaces it these days, they don't clean it up, repair and rebuild any more. The do this because its easier, more profitable, and generally includes some form of warranty, dismantling and rebuilding lcd's on stock radio's in not going to happen at a regular dealership.
Old 06-18-11, 09:01 AM
Denes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally I received the new replacement part CWM4319n for the LCD. I was hoping to replace it but I can't get the air vents out, I can't get a good grip on it. I was wondering if you used any tools because I tried to pull as hard as I could and it does not move. I don't want to break the clips. Any suggestion?
Old 06-18-11, 12:31 PM
Maxx941
Lexus Test Driver

If it's the first time pulling it out it's gonna be stiff to pull it out regardless. I don't think you can break the clip holding the vent. I ussually grab it with my fingers holding between the two vents and pull. There will be 2 harnesses connected to the vent. Clock and hazards. Or u can gently pry with flat head screwdriver to give you extra leverage
Old 11-03-11, 10:05 PM
Dreworr
Driver School Candidate

Default I need to find a 98 ES300 Nakamishi lcd screen

I am having trouble locating a place to buy a Nakamishi LCD screen for my ES300 '98. It looks like a simple fix but for finding the part. Help please!
Old 11-07-11, 07:43 PM
Denes
Driver School Candidate

I have a 1997 ES 300, and it has a pioneer stereo system. My LCD display burned out and the dealership wanted to charge me $745.00 to replace. I am not sure if the pioneer part is good for your Nakamishi but anyway I give you the info. I purchased the replacement part from PartStore.com Good luck to you.

Pioneer CWM4319 LCD INDICATOR ASSY $128.04 1 $128.04
Old 11-08-11, 08:09 AM
LexuSLP
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jsguillet
Argh! I ordered the part from Pioneer ($102 including shipping) and it got here today. But, alas, it's the wrong part for my Nakamichi radio! I can't seem to find the LCD display anywhere. Found a couple of places in FL that will replace it for me if I ship the radio to them. Anyone know where to get Nakamichi display?
Hey! Did you ever find out what that part number was for the nakamichi LCD display? How did you know for sure that the pioneer LCD was not the right one? They look virtually identical!
Old 11-14-11, 06:22 AM
Spimley
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexuSLP
Hey! Did you ever find out what that part number was for the nakamichi LCD display? How did you know for sure that the pioneer LCD was not the right one? They look virtually identical!
when I did mine, which went pretty smoothly... I kind of bypassed that part and just ordered a working used unit off fleabay for the same model year, disassembled it, and used the good part... I think it cost me $70 or so. just a thought

but.. i thought somewhere in this thread, the part # was listed here, but on a quick browse, i couldn't locate it...
Old 11-28-11, 06:23 AM
mabmab1993
Driver School Candidate

Default Bulbs for the AM-FM-TAPE lights

Hello all,
On a 1993 ES300, does anyone know if there are bulbs that can be replaced for burnt out buttons on the AM-FM-and TAPE buttons and if those buttons can even be popped out?. (original factory radio).

thanks,
Mark
Old 12-27-11, 07:05 PM
MyEs300Yea
Driver

This will be the same size bulb for the AC/HT control panel as well right.
My AC/HT control panel lights up with i hit it and then goes off as i keep driving, almost as if the bulbs were loose or something.
Old 08-16-12, 09:10 PM
mitmaks
Lead Lap

Does anyone know which LEDs do I use for 96ES300 for climate control backlighting behind LCD display. Mine are burn out and I need to replace them.
Attached Thumbnails Fixing the Radio LCD-dscn1035-1-.jpg  

Last edited by mitmaks; 08-16-12 at 09:15 PM.
Old 06-23-13, 06:56 PM
flyfl1pguy

just what i was looking for
Old 08-08-14, 05:54 PM
mark71
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I guess its my turn. I bought the LCD screen from Panasonic and going to attempt this tomorrow. I hope I don't have too much trouble
Old 08-08-14, 11:13 PM
Alexbenz
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Panasonic ? thought it was pioneer?

i went to pioneers site and that part number 116.25 but not available
Old 08-09-14, 06:58 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

Please report back on your success or failure.
Old 08-11-14, 09:47 AM
mark71
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was Pioneer. part. My bad. Just have alot on my mind. Getting it done wasn't the hassle. I made the mistake of taking off both brackets. I forgot how to put them back on. Took 30 min to put that puzzle back together. Works fine now

Quick Reply: Fixing the Radio LCD